Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
The overwhelming success of the N800 USB OTG adapter has led to the next obvious question: what about the N810. So for all of you N810 people who've been asking, here's what I'm proposing.

I'm hoping that my custom cable manufacturer will be able to give me some reasonable options for a direct cable, but the lead times (especially for Micro USB as it's extremely new and hard to find) may be quite long and I have no idea where the cost is going to end up being... so in the meantime here's what I'm thinking: a bundle that includes a 6" Micro-USB to Mini-USB dongle along with one of the regular Mini-USB to Female A adapters. This would allow for the expected automatic Host-mode switching, while also offering the convenience of a short dongle. The other advantage would be that if you have both N800 and N810 you only need one adapter (just plug it into the N800, or plug it into the dongle with the N810).

Cost estimates:
$17.00 Cnd/adapter+dongle package.

Shipping would be the same as the N800 adapters:
$4 Cnd within Canada
$8 Cnd within US
$11 Cnd anywhere internationally.
(the shipping costs would vary slightly if you wanted more than say 2 or three due to increased package size).

What does everyone think? Is it a worthwhile idea, or?

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
$11 internationally! How much does this thing weigh?
I'm really keen to get a simple solution but $28 for a home-brew cable seems steep. If I could just get hold of a micro plug I could probably make it myself. Is it B or A?

I'd get a bundle instead of ordering these two readily available parts seperately, but I'd really prefer something like they did for the N800, a one-piece adapter from micro USB to Female A.

Is it possible to have a cable with Female A and Micro male on the end? Something short like 2-3 inches so its flexible. That would be the ideal adapter

So are you offering this bundle now?

And is there any news from your manufacturer on a single adapter for the N810?

The Following User Says Thank You to bexley For This Useful Post:
Sorry, if I am asking stupid question, but wouldn't Female-Female USB A adapter attached to micro USB-USB male cable (shipped with N810) work?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
The overwhelming success of the N800 USB OTG adapter has led to the next obvious question: what about the N810.
The N810 cable is readily available: miniUSB type B to standard USB type A (male, you need a gender changer). I bought mine at reichelt.de, because I live in Germany, but I suppose that it can be found in other countries. 4€90 a piece (plus the gender changer: 46 cents) and postage.

I have one and can confirm that it works. The N810 switches automatically in host mode.

For people living in Germany: Reichelt's order number is AK 676-AB

If it really cannot be found in other EU countries (unlikely), I could organize a group order. Reichelt will only send abroad if you buy more than 150€ of stuff. For the US, a simple google search finds it available at digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=H11503-ND (they also have longer cables, this one is the shortest). Digikey wants 13$04 for it, however. Probably cheaper sellers can be found.

Last edited by Jerome; 2008-02-29 at 06:44. Reason: Found US vendor.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Is it possible to have a cable with Female A and Micro male on the end? Something short like 2-3 inches so its flexible. That would be the ideal adapter
Something like this?

*is hoping that's the same micro plug*

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Something like this?

*is hoping that's the same micro plug*

It's not. It says "mini USB", not "micro USB". Mini USB is the plug used on the N800, micro USB is the one used on the N810.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
So I'm still confused. What's the bottom line, i.e. where can I go in North America (preferably Canada even) to get an adapter that will work for the N810? tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset