Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Back in the way early '80s, even before I became a dad, I was an operations and tech support manager for a mid-sized IBM mainframe installation. We had a room sized monster (by the standards of the time) 3031-AP with eight whopping megabytes of memory, two processors each running at a million instructions per second, and a bank of eight model-3380 disk drives at about 2-and-a-half gig apiece.

That was heady stuff, and we had a bisynch network that reached out to a hundred locations, a big batch workload and probably 150 simultaneous online users at any given time.

At the software center of our world was IBM's flagship operating system, MVS. I was once upon a time very well versed in that system, and considered myself an expert systems programmer. The source code was available back then, and in fact the original version of the operating system was in the public domain. Later versions were copyright IBM and chargeable, but in 1981 we were still running the "free" operating system on the unbelievably expensive hardware.

==

Thirty years later we have cell phones that are vastly more powerful and have more storage than that entire machine room that I took care of Way Back When. So it occurs to me that I can revisit my misspent youth, and put MVS up on my new N900. Why not? I've got a couple of Bass Ales in the 'fridge and nothing on TV I care to watch.

So what do I need?
  • qole's Easy Debian
  • Roger Bowler's "Hercules" mainframe emulator
  • x3270, telnet and xterm
  • Volker Bandke's "Tur(n)key MVS" disk images
Easy Debian installed via app manager in a couple of clicks. Hercules, x3270, telnet and xterm installed in the Debian chroot with a couple of apt-get installs. The MVS system itself was a bit problematic; it is downloadable as an iso filesystem within a zip file. But the N900 Linux kernel doesn't have loop block support, and I couldn't mount the iso filesystem, so I mounted it on another Linux system and then copied the directory structure over to the N900 via scp.

Start the system with Volker's handy "xstartmvs" script, and IPL (um, "boot") MVS under Hercules - et voila! An '80s vintage MVS springs to life, with console support, a usable TSO, and several compilers.

I log on, edit and submit a quickie PL/I compile-link-and-go job ("Hello world"... of course), and 11 seconds later it completes. That's not very different from the response time I was getting on the room-sized 3031 in the days of yore, but I'm carrying this data center in my pocket.

It has no possible practical benefit, but enormous hoot value. I'm really enjoying this N900.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dba For This Useful Post:
You can probably run it easier now, with Hercules emulator properly packaged for Maemo5.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Thanks for posting this. I see there are VM/370 images I can try to run.

Great story, post some screenshots if you can

Accessing x3270 on nokia n900 with the help of easy debian

Refer the attachments for screen shots.

How to setup and use x3270 refer to http://x3270.bgp.nu/x3270-man.html.

The x3270 is connected to IBM Academic Initiative mainframe. Does not have an ID to access it.

Thanks

n900 x3270 screen shots.zip
Attached Images

Last edited by thomas2010; 2010-08-28 at 06:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thomas2010 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Honestly, I often wonder what would life be if you couldn't do stuff for the "hoot value". Thanks for the great story!

Originally Posted by dba View Post
Start the system with Volker's handy "xstartmvs" script, and IPL (um, "boot") MVS under Hercules - et voila! An '80s vintage MVS springs to life, with console support, a usable TSO, and several compilers.
Could you write a HOWTO for N900 users to accomplish all of this?

--denis

And I thought this thread was dead... nice.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
You can probably run it easier now, with Hercules emulator properly packaged for Maemo5.
hii bro this boby frm india can u pls help me to do ibm mainframes on n900.

i hav installed debian n hercules and now hav no clue to do wht.i hope u can take ltl time for hlping me