Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
MyContact is a bit different than the actual contacts app. I couldn't add a new contact throught MyContact window. For the Skype do you set it on call forwarding or call out # section?
MyContacts is a convenience app for collecting my most frequently used contacts in one easy to use widget.
iirc, it depends on those contacts being present in the phone contacts list. I don't think it has the capability to add contacts.
Again - its not a replacement for the n900 contacts app - Its a nicer view of those same contacts.

For Skype: I have a Skype subscription and a Skype In number. I have added that Skype In number to GV. So for me, qgvdial shows me my Skype number as callback option _and_ also shows me spirit:undefined as a callout option. (The undefined part is because I haven't found a way to get the skype-in number for that skype account.)

After a lot of call testing I have come to the following conclusions: 1. Skype calls (callout or callback) on n900 have appalling voice quality.
2. Incoming Skype calls are _ALWAYS_ dropped. I have been able to receive an inbound Skype call so rarely that I have begun considering the possibility of taking off my Skype In number from GV.
3. Gizmo callbacks have astonishingly good voice quality. If I don't want to use my tmo minutes for dialing out, I always go for a Gizmo callback.
4. SIP call-out (the "sofia" option) has not worked for me. The GV female announcer tells me that this call could not be completed at this time. This may be Gizmo specific - I don't have another SIP account to test with.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
I have tried a couple different formats, +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx I get a robot lady telling me please try again from that 0537 number. Possibly a Google robot eh? Like you get on your 4th conclusion.

As you say skype is not good for both in and out calls, probably I won't insist further on setting it up. I was once thinking to get a Skype number but now you said the quality is bad.

Someone suggested me trying www.diamondcard.us That same person was saying the quality of calls varies on this one as well. However not tested personally, from their website it is much cheaper than Skype minutes.

I have tried a couple different formats, +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx I get a robot lady telling me please try again from that 0537 number. Possibly a Google robot eh? Like you get on your 4th conclusion.

As you say skype is not good for both in and out calls, probably I won't insist further on setting it up. I was once thinking to get a Skype number but now you said the quality is bad.

Someone suggested me trying www.diamondcard.us That same person was saying the quality of calls varies on this one as well. However not tested personally, from their website it is much cheaper than Skype minutes.
Don't get me wrong, desktop skype has been so good that I love it.

On the n900 without overclocking and a decent wifi signal, skype is surprisingly bad when compared to SIP. People on the other end seemed to complain more when I use spirit.
However: This is only my experience. I am a developer and so my n900 has a ton of crap. It could very well be that I have something slowing spirit down.

In summary: Don't believe me unless you've tried it out yourself.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
After this browse to the project's downloads section and download the deb. If you're using microb, then it will ask if you want to open it in the App Manager. Click yes, and it should install without errors.
Are all these dependencies, and the app itself, optified? And for a clean uninstall what are the corresponding steps?

--denis

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Are all these dependencies, and the app itself, optified? And for a clean uninstall what are the corresponding steps?
Dependencies are QT, QTMobility and Telepathy, all of which are optified. qgvdial itself has been optified since its very first release - even before I figured out how to make a deb of it.

Don't get me wrong, desktop skype has been so good that I love it.

On the n900 without overclocking and a decent wifi signal, skype is surprisingly bad when compared to SIP. People on the other end seemed to complain more when I use spirit.
However: This is only my experience. I am a developer and so my n900 has a ton of crap. It could very well be that I have something slowing spirit down.

In summary: Don't believe me unless you've tried it out yourself.
Hehe thanks for the friendly warnings I am a skeptical so usually have doubts in many things I do --even it comes from my own self

My N900 runs at 850. It really gallops comparing to the stock 600 Mhz. I have something itching inside to push it up to 950, just waiting to get it a bit colder outside.

Anyways, I have not made a successful call through the spirit option selected. I wonder what's wrong with it...

Dependencies are QT, QTMobility and Telepathy, all of which are optified. qgvdial itself has been optified since its very first release - even before I figured out how to make a deb of it.
I don't remember installing dependencies beforehand to install qgvdial first when I did about two months ago. Has something fundamental changed or do I recall wrong?

Hehe thanks for the friendly warnings I am a skeptical so usually have doubts in many things I do --even it comes from my own self

My N900 runs at 850. It really gallops comparing to the stock 600 Mhz. I have something itching inside to push it up to 950, just waiting to get it a bit colder outside.

Anyways, I have not made a successful call through the spirit option selected. I wonder what's wrong with it...
Do you have a SkypeIn number? Have you set up skype to use that number for CallerID?
I haven't tested the use case of dialing out from a skype account that does not have a CallerID set. It is possible that Google Voice ensures that the number using the callout is one of the registered numbers in the account.

I don't remember installing dependencies beforehand to install qgvdial first when I did about two months ago. Has something fundamental changed or do I recall wrong?
If you have a QT app like MyContacts installed, then most of the dependency requirements are satisfied. In the last 2 weeks I have also started using qt-script (to parse XML and JSon). I think that may be the reason for the dependency problem you faced.

Do you have a SkypeIn number? Have you set up skype to use that number for CallerID?
I haven't tested the use case of dialing out from a skype account that does not have a CallerID set. It is possible that Google Voice ensures that the number using the callout is one of the registered numbers in the account.
No, SkypeIN number. Probably this must be the reason not letting me to make calls. Currently, Gizmo number is selected as my forwarding number.

If you have a QT app like MyContacts installed, then most of the dependency requirements are satisfied. In the last 2 weeks I have also started using qt-script (to parse XML and JSon). I think that may be the reason for the dependency problem you faced.
So, qgvdial isn't listed in one of the extra repos, right?

So, qgvdial isn't listed in one of the extra repos, right?
No, right now it isn't.
When I started this project the first thing I did was set up a garage account, but then I decided to host it on a more platform agnostic location to match the platform agnostic nature of the project.

Once I have a half-decent UI, I'll be setting up scripts to push qgvdial to extras.