Notices

Has anyone gotteen ssh to work? Also do you need unison open on both ends for it to work?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Unison is required one one of the computers just like rsync is required on one computer. But the computer with Unison would need SSH client, and the other computer SSH server. At least thats how it goes with rsync. What is faster?

Can Unison also copy and then rename the new file file filename.1? If its a binary it shouldn't try to compare them, but if its a text file it could do that indeed.

How fast is this when copying many small files? Is then something like ControlMaster required?

I think its pretty neat although there is no abstraction. We also have some server-side syncing with IMAP and Weave (for Mozilla browsers).

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Unison through passwordless ssh works for me great and fast, though I'm starting it from the tablet, not from the laptop. I'll try the other way round and tell you how it goes. I still do think that the documentation is worth taking a look at.

As for the requirements - you NEED to have Unison installed on both machines as well as ssh on both (client or server depends on what you want to do). It doesn't need to be started on both, just start it on one of them and it will log on the other one and start its copy there automatically tasking it with providing sync info.

Dunno how fast it is exactly, but it maximizes the connection by running several processes. It can probably rename the files too, just check the docs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Just checked the reverse connection - from my laptop to n800 - works beautifully. Copied 26 files in about 10 dirs structure amounting to 800kb for about 4 seconds through wifi and ssh. No ControlMaster AFAICS, unless it is enabled by default.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-03-11 at 22:05.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh I put unison-gtk into my repository as well, see my post under Tear 0.3 for repo details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks it works now! I guess it was because there was no link in /usr/bin/ so the other side of unison didn't know where to find it. I'm also assuming that because I don't have OpenSSH server installed on my laptop that I can't run Unison from the tablet and have it sync to my laptop. I can only do it the other way (running it from my laptop since the tablet has the OpenSSH server).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Quick (or not so) compiled (and refreshed, so the previous users please redownload it) Unison 2.27.57 for Maemo
This is a study question. How did you compile this version.

It's useable and everything, I'd just like to know how you did it, considering the absence of ocamlopt for armel etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna
I just compiled unison for the N900, basically untested, so no warranties and all... just a unison binary, text-ui only:

Code:
~ user@StrankN900 $ unison -version
unison version 2.38.5
(Note the version number, you need a unison with 2.38.x on the other end!)

For the record, the compilation method:
I needed to compile ocaml directly from svn in the armel scratchbox since only the svn version can give you an ocamlopt native compiler for the armel architecture (EABI rather than the old arm). Then compiled unison from a several weeks old svn snapshot (since this is the version I also use on my other machines).

cheers

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strank For This Useful Post:
thanks, using it to sync conboy/tomboy.

my first install, i got:
Setting up unison-gtk (2.27.57-2) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/unison-gtk.postinst: line 8: maemo-select-menu-location: not found

i did a second install, no error messages.

however, i can't find an icon for it, although using "ubuntu desktop client - n900 server" works; executing unison from n900 terminal brings up the unison screen(although i didn't go further than this).

The GTK+ version is for N8x0, hence the error. It should probably work on N900 nevertheless. There should be an icon, try restarting.

Tags
cloud sync, maemo 5