Okay, looks like I blew it. I installed Kerez. One of the steps for using it includes the following:

cp /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers~ && echo user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL >> /etc/sudoers

Well, I became root and did it and now I can't use application manager to refresh, go to log or settings....nothing. I get this message "operation already in progress" when I try to refresh.

Also when I try to become root and I get this response.

>>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 57 <<< sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 57

Looks like I am locked out.

All installed programs work fine.

I am using OS2008 on my N800. I managed to set up dual boot myself. I am guessing I will have to recopy the flash operating system to MMC2. But before doing so, I thought I'd do a search to see if anyone else had this problem. No luck. So this is a plea for any advice. Looks like this newbie got in too deep using "become root". Any thoughts, suggestions????

Daaders

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
If you have dual boot you can boot the other system, gain root and mount broken system and fix /etc/sudoers, see
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=11501&page=2
In you case you may even restore it from /etc/sudoers~

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Why not boot from Flash, mount the MMC2 filesystem and then fix the broken sudo file?

I don't know how you cloned the OS, but if you used my cloning instructions you just need to run "./nupgrade.sh 1", cd to /opt/etc then fix the broken sudoers file.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Thanks fanoush and Milhouse. So this is why I have dual boot. Fanoush, should I enter the exact same information from your Jan 2006 post (see below) or do I need to change something since I am booting from flash instead of MMC2?

mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /opt
cp -a /etc/sudoers /opt/etc/
umount /opt

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
well if broken system is on mmc2 the first mount command should be
Code:
mount -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
but you need to insert mbcache and ext2 kernel modules first, see beginning of http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...8dc271168d2489. Or do as Milhouse says, his 'nupgrade.sh 1' step probably does exactly that.

after you have /dev/mmcblk0p2 mounted to /opt you can run
Code:
cd /opt/etc
cp -a sudoers~ sudoers
cd
umount /opt
and reboot. This will work if the sudoers~ backup is sane. If not, you can take one from flash but it may not be up to date and may have something missing
Code:
cp -a /etc/sudoers /opt/etc/

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-12-30 at 17:58. Reason: -a added to preserve permissions

Fanoush,

I owe you a ton of gratitude. Your instructions solved the unable-to-access-root problem on my mmc2. Application manager is working again as well. Now I will get back to Kerez to try to figure out how to get it working so that I can shortcut startups that require typing in commands (e.g. openvpn). I learned a few things about root and dual boot through this process so I am highly appreciative for your advice. I love my N800 but the open source technology can be challenging. It can also be rewarding.

i have the same issure, but im not dual booting, so what should i do?