Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
Would you mind sharing your find out be cool for everyone to know unless ?
My apologies. so many hacks, ...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Maybe I should put chron or dcron into my repository too? I'd have to "debianize" them, but that's another useful skill I'd like to teach myself.
It would be great to have an actual package. I'm using the one from this post (manual install). To change the background every 10 minutes my crontab entry looks like this:

Code:
*/10 * * * * su - user -c /usr/bin/rndback
(the reason for the su is thta this is in root's crontab. Could never get the permissions right to allow user to use cron, so I just stick everything in root's) HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by grog View Post
(the reason for the su is thta this is in root's crontab. Could never get the permissions right to allow user to use cron, so I just stick everything in root's)
I don't think rndback needs to be run as user, so you can run it as root without problem.

I don't think rndback needs to be run as user, so you can run it as root without problem.
I hadn't actually tried it. It's just automatic for me that if something doesn't need to be run as root, then don't. What, me worry?
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
Would the Quiver trick also work for Maemo Mapper. Show current map and GPS position on the desktop?
Here you go

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Use the /home/user/.wallpaper file to set the directory list for your wallpapers. Separate the directories with a space. There's also a way to add image types to the list of types that are searched for, use the template in the .wallpaper file to add more types.
How do you find the .wallpaper file? I installed GPE Filemanager and I can see the /home/user directory, but there aren't many files there. Do I have to unhide the files?

Files that begin with a period are hidden by default in a lot of file managers.

Install "leafpad" and then open an X Terminal and type

Code:
leafpad .wallpaper

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately it does need to be run as 'user'. If run as root I get the error 'cannot connect to x display'.

Another thing I noticed that when I ran the script via cron I'd always get the same small set of images rather than a sampling of my entire pictures folder. The reason for this of course is qole's usage of 'date +%S%S' for a random number in the rndback script. This prints out the current seconds (twice), which is great except when being run via cron at almost the same second each time!

So I came up with this updated version of qole's rndback script. Works for me. See what you think.

Code:
#Pull in the config, if possible...
[ -f /home/user/.wallpaper ] && . /home/user/.wallpaper

#These come from the config file... If not, fall back on defaults
[ "x$IMGTYPE" != x ] || IMGTYPE="jpg\|png\|gif"
[ "x$IMGDIRS" != x ] || IMGDIRS="/home/user/MyDocs/.images /usr/share/backgrounds"
find $IMGDIRS | grep -i "\.\($IMGTYPE\)" > /tmp/wplist.txt
TOTIMGS=`wc -l < /tmp/wplist.txt`

# pick out a random line from the list
RNDIMG=`awk -v tot=$TOTIMGS 'BEGIN {srand();printline=(rand()*10000%tot)+1;printline=substr(printline,1,index(printline,".")-1)} NR==printline' /tmp/wplist.txt`

echo changing to $RNDIMG
setback "$RNDIMG"
HTH

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
grog: Since you seem to be the only other person using this, have you noticed that sometimes the left panel does not go transparent? If I run rndback from the command line, there are no problems. If I run it from the menu, the left panel sometimes doesn't go transparent on the first run.

And thanks for the elegant random number solution. I couldn't seem to find a good shell-based way to get a random number, it didn't occur to me to use awk's random number function. Very clever!

I will put out a new version of the package, with the better random number and a more refined way of setting specific panels to specific transparencies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
grog: Since you seem to be the only other person using this,...

.. have you noticed that sometimes the left panel does not go transparent? If I run rndback from the command line, there are no problems. If I run it from the menu, the left panel sometimes doesn't go transparent on the first run.
No I hadn't noticed that. I tried a few times from the menu & then cranked cron to run every minute, but still no problems. I do notice that it's not quite as transparent as the rest of the screen, but only marginally.
And thanks for the elegant random number solution. I couldn't seem to find a good shell-based way to get a random number, it didn't occur to me to use awk's random number function. Very clever!
My only cleverness is scouring comp.unix.shell to find a one-liner to get me started (I've been following that group since before google took it over )
I will put out a new version of the package, with the better random number and a more refined way of setting specific panels to specific transparencies.
That will be greatly appreciated. Then you & I will have a much better product to play with. it might even convince one or two others to join us.

Heck, I've even disabled all of my applets in favour of showing random pics of my wife's & I Carribbean cruise (our first anniversary )

TX

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Unfortunately it does need to be run as 'user'. If run as root I get the error 'cannot connect to x display'.
Try

Code:
DISPLAY=:0.0 rndback

Tags
background, hildon-desktop, qwerty12, transparent, wallpaper