I've had my n770 best part of a year and used it most days.

I've posted on other threads about how it would be nice to have a slightly enhanced drag 'n drop functionality on the home/desktop (or at least simple user customisation/creation of existing home applet tech) and had the "it's an INTERNET TABLET" answers from other posters, and that's cool.

And indeed, that's why I bought it and "bought into" the N770 and what I use it for.

BUT, with the popularity of youtube, myspace (sound and video), google video and loads of sites putting streaming links to different visual content it's amazing to me that my INTERNET TABLET can't actually function with what is now so much a part of the daily net experience. It can't even handle the hi-res streams from BBC news sites, a point made on these boards a best part of a year ago (in fact, the O6 OS browser now f**ks up the actual site itself).

Why is this the case and when will it be rectified? Nokia has the power, influence and finance to make it happen.

Nokia - can you hear me???

There is quite a bit of evidence that Nokia is aware of this site. That said, I haven't seen much evidence that they have adjusted their development priorities based on the wealth of user feedback available here. Time and time again I have seen companies whose perception of the market for their product and how people actually use their product are way out of alignment. I really wish Nokia would appoint some sort of community ombudsman to interface with us in a more direct fashion and give us some level of confidence that our concerns will be addressed in a future firmware or in the 870. Some extremely common software requests that I have seen:

-Proper, official support for Bluetooth HID keyboards and headsets
-Better email app. Specifically, one that doesn't dump all accounts to a common folder, provides a way to select multiple emails for deletion. Better, less click-happy workflow/ui.
-Support for modern version of flash and other defacto internet standards.
-Granular control of power management. Many of the uses to which I would like to put my 770 are currently impossible due to the extremely limited ability to control power management features.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I work in a customer service department, and part of my work includes giving feedback we receive from our customers back to the projects my company works on. We do this both on a face-to-face basis, meeting the marketing- and tech-people, and on the basis of reports.

Quite frankly, if this was a forum about one of our products, I wouldn't pay much attention. Why? It's always the same people writing here. Its far from representing the typical customer. Not that I know anything about the typical Nokia 770 customer, but we here at internettablettalk are simply too small a group to be of much interest.

Point two is that even if we came to the conclusion in our meetings that the points you raise here are what our customers want: We'd still have quite a lot of other factors to consider. Business is not all about giving customers what they want. Business means giving customers as little as possible and charging as much as possible for it. So we'd think of how much it would cost, about time to market, about legal issues, about the influence it would have upon our other products etc.

The bottom line is: As long as we can sell it the way it is, we'll keep it the way it is. We'd make software improvements where they'd help us minimize the cost of customer care. We'd not invest in software updates just for the fun of it.

BTW, Rocketman: You can select multiple emails for deletion.

ITT is definitely the premiere site related to the Nokia 770. It appears that some 200 people are currently browsing this site as I write. I honestly do question whether Nokia is really aware of the needs/type of person that is using the N770. The very nature of some of the questions in Nokia's recent 770 poll left a lot of people feeling like they were quite out of touch with reality.

I understand that businesses are in it to make money. I have worked in electronic product development in the past and have at least an inkling of the sort of real world decision making that goes on in trying to bring a product to market and actually make money in the process. Given that Nokia seems to be releasing at least one more product based off the IT concept, I would hope that they would take a long hard look at the available, freely given feedback from users. I will be giving a long hard look at the implementation of features (not just the bullet points) in the 870 (presumed name) before outlaying any more $ on a personal or business case basis.

I would be interested in learning how to select multiple emails for deletion (not simply select all) using the built in client. I currently use SquirrelMail due to the complete inadequacy of the built in client to handle large volumes of email in an effective manner.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Rocketman
I would be interested in learning how to select multiple emails for deletion (not simply select all) using the built in client. I currently use SquirrelMail due to the complete inadequacy of the built in client to handle large volumes of email in an effective manner.
mhm... maybe i'm missing your point here completely, but: i simply select them all and then delete them by tapping on the bin. the only thing that doesnt work for me is selecting multiple mails when they're not listed together - like what you'd do with ctrl+click in windows. but as long as they're grouped together, no problem. (which, of course, is not meant to say the built-in client can effectively handle large volumes of email. maybe for the average home user it doesnt have to.)

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This site is for hardcore users - - hardcore enough that they'll go to a forum. I don't know about you, but I don't frequent any forums for my breadmaker. It might be a good base for ideas, but it's hardly a litmus for how the product is doing on market.

So far as Flash sites go, that one's tricky. If you've got problems getting to a movie theatre because the roads are all torn up, it's not really the movie theatre's fault... much in the same way that it's not really Nokia's fault if those resposible for Flash (is it Adobe these days?) aren't paying much attention to the linux user base... and not only that, but these websites that are using ridiculous amounts of Flash without providing backward compatibility... seems to me YouTube might not need functionality provided in the latest version, but, well, here we are.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't love increased functionality on my tablet... just that someone oughtta pull up their socks and make it more useable on anything short of a P4 3GHz.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I couldn't have said that better myself Hedgecore. It's true there's still a lot Nokia can improve on, and I think they are doing a pretty good job so far. There's also a lot we can do ourselves to get some of the results we are looking for. The platform is open for development to anyone that chooses to play with it after all.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Some Nokia employees drop in here on an unofficial basis. I don't know if any of the comments here affect product decisions, but it's certainly not impossible. If I were in the position to effect improvements I'd definitely take comments made here to heart. A lot of great questions and ideas have been posed here.

I disagree about this site being ONLY for hardcore users - I think it's the second (or even first) point of call for people who are interested in buying or have just bought.

And I think I'm pretty representitive of a regular cutomer -someone who loves the idea that true mobile internet access is already here, and is interested in linux but not anywhere near enough to delve into it to the degree needed to actually make any changes/improvements to N770.

As for customer feedback/R&D/profits feedback loops, it's meant to be an INTERNET TABLET but hasn't kept up with how the net has developed over the last 18 months even. (Let's be fair, the youtube/video streaming phenomenom is relatively new is terms of product cycles, but the software development side of things should be paced to keep up).

The movie theatre metaphor doesn't really work either - if the roads really were that bad, people would just stay at home and watch films on the internet, perhaps in the garden on their portable wifi net tablets...... oh......

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Banging on about YouTube, later Flash and Java isn't going to solve the problem though.

It's a question of economics. The decision was taken to base Maemo on Linux for a variety of reasons. One of the downsides of that decision was no recent Flash - in the cost/benefit analysis that was obviously acceptable for Nokia's understanding of the market.

Not licencing the Jazelle extensions on the chips to get Java is a similar cost.