I used the boot menu item for u-boot from you dl.dropbox.com page.

I get the following error on boot multiple times.

lis3lv02d_i2c 3-001d: >Failed to get supply 'Vdd': -517
i2c 3-001d: >Driver lis3lv02d_i2c requests probe deferral

After that, the boot process is stuck at that screen.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ashish View Post
I used the boot menu item for u-boot from you dl.dropbox.com page.

I get the following error on boot multiple times.

lis3lv02d_i2c 3-001d: >Failed to get supply 'Vdd': -517

After that, the boot process is stuck at that screen.
Accelerometer driver is known to fail multiple times, but it does not cause anything to get stuck. I would need at least your dmesg to say anything about this, you could try booting to rescue or emergency targets, see here. Pastebin/whatever all debug info you can get and paste links here, PM or find me at IRC, I'll help if I'm online.

To everyone:
There has been some changes lately in Arch, like logind replacing consolekit which apparently has led to some troubles starting X, at least for some individuals. I also suspect that latest mesa(?) caused some trouble with SGX (surprise surprise!) as I suddenly started getting segfaults with EGL stuff after -Syu. I need to do some investigating. Good news is that I can confirm that calls and sms are indeed working, though there are no other userspace support but the cli tools provided by ofono and dbus. There is also some effort happening elsewhere for the bluetooth driver. So, we are nearing pretty good hardware support, and I suggest/ask everyone with even the slightest interest trying this one out, I really could use some bug reports and such.

Last edited by Skry; 2012-11-05 at 22:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Hey Skry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I recently got a spare N900 and some books on embedded development to get up to speed on linux dev and device driver development. I am from a hw background. But I will post more detailed info on the driver soon.

Additional info:
Blacklisting the above driver in either /etc/modprobed.d/blacklist.conf by:
1. blacklist <drivername>
OR 2. install <driver> /bin/false

OR just adding it to the kernel line in .item
modprobe.blacklist=<drivername> seemed to cause the boot to halt at a very earlier stage.

I could be wrong but my install is corrupted now due to a broken glibc -Syu in the Arch linux install.. :/

Also, once I get a system running, I plan to write SMS GUI and then a Call GUI based on oFono..

Hey Skry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I recently got a spare N900 and some books on embedded development to get up to speed on linux dev and device driver development. I am from a hw background. But I will post more detailed info on the driver soon.

Additional info:
Blacklisting the above driver in either /etc/modprobed.d/blacklist.conf by:
1. blacklist <drivername>
OR 2. install <driver> /bin/false

OR just adding it to the kernel line in .item
modprobe.blacklist=<drivername> seemed to cause the boot to halt at a very earlier stage.
It is very strange indeed that blacklisting a module would cause boot to fail, then again, I'd say N900 is somewhat picky about kernel configuration and even the probing order of certain devices. I assume we can discuss this in more detail when you are ready to reveal what you are working on.

I could be wrong but my install is corrupted now due to a broken glibc -Syu in the Arch linux install.. :/
Very unfortunate. Like said, there has been a lot going on with Arch recently requiring extra measures, that issue is one of them.

Also, once I get a system running, I plan to write SMS GUI and then a Call GUI based on oFono..
Excellent! Whatever your ambitions are, any contribution is very welcome, and if you're into driver development, I/we have a lot of work for you. Would you consider joining us at IRC? #maemo-alternatives @freenode.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Awesome. I'll get on IRC.

The Following User Says Thank You to ashish For This Useful Post:
this is great, today i was messing around with my n9 in chroot and was like if only i had my n900 with that as the OS. cheers for your work

Any idea how I can get dmesg logs off a non-booting system? I can mount the card in N900/ PC.. but where are they stored..

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
Probably you can remove quiet from your bootmenu entry and add verbose/debug. More info here -- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boot_Debugging

Btw where exactly are facing errors ?

Any idea how I can get dmesg logs off a non-booting system? I can mount the card in N900/ PC.. but where are they stored..
First, try adding
Code:
systemd.unit=rescue.target
to your boot args. Report if it works or not.

If the previous did not help, try adding
Code:
systemd.unit=emergency.target
to your boot args. Again, report if it boots.

Short versions: 1 for rescue.target, emergency for emergency.target

If all else fails, you can try to boot with init=/bin/sh but that gives you absolutely nothing but the shell.

Some boot args for debugging:
Code:
debug loglevel=8 ignore_loglevel log_buf_len=20M verbose=1
Also, you did say something about glibc update gone wrong? If that is the case, you might currently be missing some libraries, or even worse. Failure in that particular update can make the system unbootable or otherwise unusable.

Hopefully you can get some detailed info out, currently I cannot do nothing but speculate what the reason could be, as there are quite a lot what could cause it.

If you manage to get it to boot in to rescue.target, try to get network up, you can then pipe anything to pastebin like this
Code:
<command> |& curl -F sprunge=@- sprunge.us
or you can of course just save dmesg to a file dmesg > dmesg.txt

Also, don't fight with it too long, backup anything important, empty partition and try again if you have not already done so.

I will try to get an extra mmc from somewhere and test with latest uboot and latest alarm rootfs to rule out possible problems from updates.

Hey Skry. Thanks for the detailed reply. I have repartitioned the sd card. And reinstalled everything. I will try to see if that works now.

Also, I found this weird:
1. During all these errors, the only way out was to remove the battery. Pressing the power button did nothing.
2. Removing the back cover caused the system to think that the memory card was offline and unusable.

I will enable the boot options as you said and see.