Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Instead putting it onto the mods, why don't you/colleagues put relevant content into a locked gdoc.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Instead putting it onto the mods, why don't you/colleagues put relevant content into a locked gdoc.
s/gdoc/wiki page/
pretty please.

Somewhat on topic: The N900's GPS can be annoyingly slow getting a fix, even with A-GPS. Does anyone have any experience with the suggested replacement?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
s/gdoc/wiki page/
pretty please.
Yeah, there's always that too.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
sorry that I am not able to understand the meaning of your posts just like you seem to have difficulties to understand what dos1's post is all about.

What dos1 quoted been a list of options and costs/prices for GTA04,

NOT for Neo900. So the "new plastic case" is meant as an alternative for the hard-to-source GTA02 case - the fact that gave me the idea to use a N900 case instead. It's been stated several times in this thread that Neo900 is a complete device incl case, while the GTA04-NeoN variant is the bare board without case and other parts, and that we plan to offer both variants. First post to clearly state this: #1,

last post on exactly same issue: one of my last 4 or 5 posts!
I honestly don't know how to make the info any more clear so you don't miss it. :-/
Joerg,

i hope you are not going to consider it an insult that i explain what & how i "don't understand"?
  • semantics, 1st...
    see where i'm getting with this?
    • yes, Sebastian used a list in his post but... you blame me for snipping out quotes & seeing just what i want; maybe Sebastian could have "updated" his?
      no offence, but i don't give a $h!t about GTA...
    • i know you are not a "sales guy"; you are a passionate techie that wants to make a replacement for our beloved N900s available to the Maemo community
      still, maybe you should try to structure your posts a little bit better? an awful lot of the nearly 700 post on this thread are about miscommunication; very quickly the word "insult" is used if someone dares to ask leave alone question; you used the word in 1 of your replies to me as well, a few posts ago...
      and i have only been on it a little over 24hrs
      accusing ppl of being insulting will make even the humblest poster on a forum... irritated? calling them trolls after that and... there goes your flame war
    • so much for the semantics...
  • eBay, BOM? for me, eBay is the last resort when you can't get a part any more; OEM at best, used otherwise. but eBay a supplier for an "industrial" manufacturing process... not obvious, to say the least.
    my impression was that we had to either use an old N900 casing or get one from eBay ourself
    add to that Sebastian's list (10'000...) and... yet another "insult"

Your 2nd post I don't get at all. You know pretty good that N900 CPU is rated @ 500MHz continuous, 600MHz temporary overdrive.
?
  • out of the (NOKIA) box, the N900 comes at 600Mhz
    let's be honest, many here run their N900(s) at 850MHz or even higher - 1GHz? maybe we should make a poll asking what max frequency they set theirs to?
    might help you choose a proper... "upgrade"?
  • i only used it little over a day so far, but with CSSU Thumb2, the 256MB seem to be sufficient for casual use - okay, i only had 8 windows in the task mgr. with two (or three?) for microb and it started to swap seriously; but honestly, how often do you spend hrs browsing on your N900? in a squeeze, to get some information on the spot more like, no?

thus, my point, reformulated:
  • is 1GHz enough? i have a N9 but i'd say Harmattan got a serious "mobile" overhaul - if you are sticking w/ Fremantle, maybe a little more might be needed? dual core, maybe
  • those who have (played with) a 512MB N950 generally agree that it is tight, to say the least... but in all honesty you mentioned the possibility of 1GB RAM.

While Neo900 DM3730 is rated @1GHz, so 2* as fast.
And what the heck about thumb2 in this context? Yes, DM3730 also can do thumb2! This sounds OT nevertheless.

I honestly would appreciate when you would bother to read all the thread so you might find the answers to questions you otherwise post here without prior thinking, and which cause redundance and poor S/N and make the thread unattractive to follow for other readers. Thanks!
see my "lists" above, but remember, nobody is perfect.
no offence intended!
'nuff said

and no, i'm not going to bother starting my own "N900 hardware upgrade" project.
i'll keep using my N900 with Thumb2...
thus if that's all you have to answer, pls don't bother :|

PS: the moment i find your ṔayPal account i'll send over some money
obviously, without your dedication i wouldn't have been able to set up Thumb2 & all
thanks for that!

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
More like lose-lose. I see in this project a hope for bringing to market [...]
market, 2 to 300 TMO (& GTA whatever) users?
that's not a market.
not even a niche.
that's a community
well, two, joining forces as Joerg put it so nicely
period

do you have a N9? if it wasn't for the lack of hardware keyboard, i would have switched about a year ago.
and it's not like i haven't tried both a Logitech di Novo & some OEM bluetooth keyboard; doesn't work

and i think Jolla is going to give us a great N9 upgrade, software and hardware wise.

but to each his / her own, right?

why am i posting on this thread then?
trolling, flaming? of course! what else would one come to TMO for???? ¦-))))))
beside, i haven't seen Jolla's hardware keyboard other half yet, thus, keeping all my options open

[...]
Yeah insults and maybe trolling, see above comment.

[...]
there you go...

@@knuthf
Sorry to say you completely missed the point (or are you just trying to troll me
again...

[...]
And thanks for your rating of my marketing
see my earlier post...

and "packaging" (whatever that means in this context) [...]
not selling the individual parts, motherboard (maybe w/ CPU & RAM) here, LCD & Co. there, casing from eBay...
seems i'm not the only one having a problem with your semantics

[...]

And, how do you propose that this should be done?
For starters, the Cordia which you're constantly referring to has been dead for ages now.
Out of all the MeR derivatives, Nemo & Plasma have been far more active...
came across this thread yesterday and the only thing i have been able to figure out about MeR & Co... is that it is not for end-users

Also Sailfish code isn't available yet, & it's still not even clear how open it will be -if at all.
many of the ppl @ Jolla actually developed Fremantle; possibly even "created" it... give them a (2nd) chance, maybe?

If they're still working closely with Myriad for the Android layer, & if it's not based largely on libhybris as some have claimed.*[...]
wild guess?
nope
Google [libhybris jolla]...
o, no, sorry, you don't use Google, do you?

Originally Posted by xes View Post
Probably you should....
a good, clearly structured and complete initial post would certainly help (much more then 600+ posts mostly of flaming )

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
A lack of vote doesnt mean a lack of interest, only a lack of vote...

..All of the options are less than one days salary for me, and therefore the same, but as i work as a freelanceengineer i dont know if i will or want to have any work when it is released.
but this is NOT a democracy!!!
it's a meritocracy ¦-)))))))))
you have to vote!
geeee, where is our Gorbatchov?!?