I think your next phone should be another n900.

Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
yeah. It's like with wahing machines. When your granny got one at age 20 or whatever, she might still have had it when you were born. Now though, washing machines only last 5 years max on average. They are designed to only last that long to make people keep buying a new one every few years, otherwise they wouldn't be any point making them in the first place. It's just not profitable to make the perfect machine, sell it once to a lot of people, who then never need to buy a replacement so the company then goes bust.
There are always some devices (or cars) that are good, last long or "have everything" - the exceptions to above (sadly very true) rule.
I think N900 is one of such a things. Not made by marketers and accountants. Not made to throw out after a year. Not made to make huge profit. Some weird misconception, that is - but it's good.

HTC desire z is a good alternative. I use one everyday and it's very pleasant. Two drawback in my opinion:

android is not mature. too hard to put my mp3 as message ringtone!!
there is not enough mass memory included. on the desire Z you have only microsd. it's pity...

Originally Posted by gruik View Post
HTC desire z is a good alternative. I use one everyday and it's very pleasant. Two drawback in my opinion:

there is not enough mass memory included. on the desire Z you have only microsd. it's pity...
Yes, the lack of mass memory is a little puzzling. Having re-looked at the Desire Z, I don't really think I can justify it over my N900 (especially with the mixed reviews).

I'm currently considering just waiting for the Xperia Pro as that seems to fit the bill perfectly. The Atrix is quite interesting as well, although it may just be a better solution to buy a phone (with a keyboard) and a laptop? Also the dual cores on the horizon will make things more interesting (and definitely mean that my N900 will be feeling quite old and tired by then).

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
would be this one
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/sonys-p...lease-ck-85972

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well I'll give the OP a good hint : keep checking out the MWC. There was just another announcement, Motorola Pro.

Motorola Pro: the Droid Pro takes a European vacation

It's though portrait-QWERTY.

EDIT: Since I already mentioned the MWC I'll add this as well : look up for Intel in MWC. It's rumored, that they'd announce MeeGo-phone and I, for one, am very interested in that. If the schedule is keeping up to the expectations then you could be using the MeeGo-phone at the earliest in end of April.

I though don't know what kind of phone it'll be. It can be hardware keyboard or virtual, we'll see.

Last edited by rantom; 2011-02-14 at 10:04.

Originally Posted by gruik View Post

What do you mean? It's the easiest thing in the world. Just place your mp3 into the ringtones folder and it will come up as an option.

Also, the mini sd card can be upgraded... even then, you can install all your apps onto the mini sdcard. so, you shouldn't have to worry about space.

I think my next possible replacement will be

S-E XPERIA PRO which is almost similar to N900 except Memo 5

Here is an comparison between N900 and Xperia pro

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=2917

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
use gsm arena for comparison of hardware.

You gotta ask yourself 1 question...

...does it come with xterm built in?

Frankly any operating system that you have to install a 3rd party task killer program just to make the thing work is an epic fail.
I have the Galaxy S with Android 2.2.1, I don't need to use a task killer, The phone runs smooth as butter, and there is an xterm downloadable for FREE from the market. You can gain root access after rooting your phone, and you can recompile the kernel from source just as you can with N900.

Only true downgrades I feel from moving from N900 to galaxy S are :
  1. Can't use mypaint. (was just a hobby so not a big problem)
  2. No FM Transmitter, I solved my problem by buying a bluetooth enabled car radio, sounds better then FM anyway.
  3. No HW Keyboard, That one I can't solve.
  4. There is no real multitasking, you are Dependant on developers of app, if they thought your app should run in the background, they need to implement a service that does the job, while the UI is allowed to be closed by the OS / User.

But the list of improvement is endless.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Originally Posted by sansar95 View Post
I think my next possible replacement will be S-E XPERIA PRO which is almost similar to N900 except Memo 5
Yes, I've pretty much decided upon that now. My only reservations are the 320MB internal memory, plus it looks like it doesn't have a separate GPU?

Tags
bada blows, bada rox