Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
h264 main profile as exported from quicktime in mp4 files plays fine in MY N810 using the standard media player. It should play in yours...

Don't forget x264 as well.

IMO, if you are rpoducing h264 video, they are more or less the same, specially on this small screen, The profile and bitrate have more to do with the final quality.

These are my settings:

2-pass encoding.

Profile: Level 1.2 Baseline (No CABAC, No BFrames, Ref Frames=2, Mixed R-Frames)
(Note: If you are still having choppy video, you could try 1 Ref Frame with no mixed R-frames to trade image quality for faster decoding speed)

Resolution: For HD I use 400x224, for SD I use 360x240 (I crop to maintain AR)

Frame Rate: 24 fps (For 30 fps source, TDecimate to 24 fps)

Video Bitrate: 128 Kbps (Average)

Audio: 64kb/s HE-AAC or AAC-LC, I think the N810 can handle HE-AAC pretty well, I might even guess it is supported on OS2008, even though it doesn't say in the specs.

Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Don't forget x264 as well.

IMO, if you are rpoducing h264 video, they are more or less the same, specially on this small screen, The profile and bitrate have more to do with the final quality.

These are my settings:

2-pass encoding.

Profile: Level 1.2 Baseline (No CABAC, No BFrames, Ref Frames=2, Mixed R-Frames)
(Note: If you are still having choppy video, you could try 1 Ref Frame with no mixed R-frames to trade image quality for faster decoding speed)

Resolution: For HD I use 400x224, for SD I use 360x240 (I crop to maintain AR)

Frame Rate: 24 fps (For 30 fps source, TDecimate to 24 fps)

Video Bitrate: 128 Kbps (Average)

Audio: 64kb/s HE-AAC or AAC-LC, I think the N810 can handle HE-AAC pretty well, I might even guess it is supported on OS2008, even though it doesn't say in the specs.
Which transcoding software do you use?

Regards,

Taguapire.

Originally Posted by taguapire View Post
Which transcoding software do you use?
I use x264 for encoding. For GUI, I use Ripbot264. (Ripbot uses Avisynth and x264, underneath the simple UI, you can tweak the avisynth script quite easily)