Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
This is primarily for replacing people that die or become incapacitated in office. Keep in mind, the only time this comes into play is when someone voluntarily steps down or simply vanishes (stops attending meetings or getting approval pre-meeting to be absent). Allowing this prevents us from having an entirely vacant board.
So no one will think I'm complicit in any way with whatever happens, I'm going to disclose here part of an email Woody sent to a few people four days ago:

"If I am elected, I will very likely vote in the bylaws, do anything else legally *required* of the first sitting Board, and then step down. That will allow things to start up, and then allow the other directors to fill the vacated spot with someone able to spend time on the projects that are needed, preferably the next candidate in line in the elections or someone that no one would protest..."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
IMO, this should be put in the wiki page for the Board elections...Nothing against woody; I in fact want the elections sorted out for the NFP to get things into action but something like that surely should be disclosed publicly...

Thanks SD69 for disclosing it!

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
To be fair to woody, he has publicly requested that noone vote for him in the board election, stating that he would not have enough time available until March.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Actually, having free time for Maemo related activities is an issue that every member of current Council has suffered more or less.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Yup he has informed about being busy hence I think this info should be added there although I don't think it won't make much of a difference to discerning voters who already know woody's position...

The reason I mentioned adding into the wiki is to prevent certain people from coming here and as usual taking good intentions in a negative way...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
So no one will think I'm complicit in any way with whatever happens, I'm going to disclose here part of an email Woody sent to a few people four days ago:
Are we sharing Council e-mails now? If so, we should share them in context. For example, this was in part in reply to you pushing to scrap elections entirely, and then accusing me of trying to "rig" things when I pushed ahead with a vote. Nonsensical if you think about it, since had I agreed with appointment I would have been appointed flat out.

Originally Posted by SD69
Luckily, the nonprofit doesn't have to follow maemo's rules and doesn't have to have the same election. Why don't we just proceed now with the people who have already self-nominated and haven't withdrawn their self-nomination? Each of those people is a present or former maemo council member and can't be seriously objected to. It's apparent at this time that we've reached out to the existing community.
[...]
I think we did the right thing to show we were inclusive of the community by throwing open the board for nominations.
I, and others, disagreed. Mainly because of the fact that we all agreed early on to do the first Board elections using the same criteria as Council elections to make the transition easier. It's what we said we would do; privately, in open Council meetings, and in the election announcements, none of which you took objection with until after this mess with nomination withdraws started.

Btw: After thinking about it, it occurred to me that stepping down just after the vote and passing in bylaws would in fact not be a viable option. My stepping down from the position, by the current bylaws, would instantly trigger a new election since there would be less than 3 Directors.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't still do it if elected. Though if there were time-critical issues that the new cycle would disrupt, I could be persuaded to wait until that was done. I'd prefer to simply not be elected, and allow the three to continue on with whatever aid I can give them with the limited time I will have. This is in part why I requested that others not vote for me.

The fact of the matter is, when I submitted my nomination it was done so for reasons I stated both here in the forums, in my nomination e-mail and just before the quoted section in the e-mail you referenced. For a bit more context, I'll share the portion before your out of context quote here, since we're sharing now...

Originally Posted by Woody14619
Your implied accusation, that I'm some how am trying to "rig" things so I get in is not only insulting, but frankly as far from the truth as can be. I frankly have no desire to be on the Board, given my work levels in the next few months. I stated that explicitly when I ran, which I did mainly in case there were not enough candidates (there were only 2 at the time) and to prevent auto-selection in the event of someone else randomly jumping in...

As soon as we were at 6 candidates, and again when we were down to 5, I debated pulling my name. I haven't done so because I didn't want to add further confusion, or make it look like everyone was suddenly abandoning ship. I even posted this reasoning on TMO, asking others to vote for people who can dedicate the time needed (explicitly, not me), now that we will only have 3 directors.

If I am elected, I will very likely vote in the bylaws...
So... What other Council e-mail shall we share next?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Guys, guys, guys....

why.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Guys, guys, guys....

why.
Ask the one making accusations and implying others are doing things that are wrong or could make one "complicit".

As for why did I reply? I initially debated not replying. But then Rob is rather respected (with good cause). And I'd rather not have my character smudged because he's in a bad mood.

Back on topic....

Attached find the next (possibly last?) proposed revision of the bylaws. There are several small changes (capitalization, word changes, typo fixes), and one major change around what happens with elections when nominees die or withdraw their nomination.

There is a PDF showing the markup changes, and an ODT and PDF of the end revision. Please review these and get comments in fast! The Board will likely be voting on these shortly after elections are final (so as early as Saturday)!

Thanks again to everyone for their input, questions, suggestions, and the like.
Attached Files
File Type: gz Bylaws-rev5to6.pdf.gz (116.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: gz Bylaws-rev6.odt.gz (15.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: gz Bylaws-rev6.pdf.gz (115.2 KB, 111 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't see any point to the Foundation if this is where we are as a "community"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?