Notices

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In your case, they both match since Zgierz is within Lodzkie which is matching Lodz via substring match.
Would it be possible to order the search by the reverse size of the match.

i.e.: sort entry that match "Lodz" to a city, before those that match a region, before those that match a whole country.

Or match by the the shortness of the interval if you only do full-string matches ? (One is matching "(Antoniewska), (Lodz), Lodzkie" with only ", " between the groups, the other is matching "(Antoniewska), Grietz, (Lodz)kie" with ", Grietz, " in between the groups)

And by the way, nothing to do with the above, I like the "highway sign" display during navigation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Would it be possible to order the search by the reverse size of the match.

i.e.: sort entry that match "Lodz" to a city, before those that match a region, before those that match a whole country.

Or match by the the shortness of the interval if you only do full-string matches ? (One is matching "(Antoniewska), (Lodz), Lodzkie" with only ", " between the groups, the other is matching "(Antoniewska), Grietz, (Lodz)kie" with ", Grietz, " in between the groups)

And by the way, nothing to do with the above, I like the "highway sign" display during navigation.
If I promote city over region, we'll get also pub over city. So, this will lead to the hits to the pubs called Lodz in some small villages over Poland.

Matches are done via search in hierarchy, not as a search in strings.

So, would have to be careful in changing it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I am still convinced that the best solution would be a nested search, like I suggested a number of times.
Country, region, town, street, house number, in that order, with separate entry fields, without an option to even start entering the next field before the previous one is fully populated.

No need to parse the address, instant search would apply at that hierarchy level only. So typing "Edin" when a town is expected would only yield "Edinburgh" but not the "Duke of Edinburgh" pub; typing "Oxf" when a street is expected would yield "Oxford Street" in the selected town (also "Oxford Circus" if the town is London ), but not hundreds of other "Oxford Street"s in other towns and definitely not Oxford the city...

DrYak's Lodz problem would automatically resolve itself at the "entering the town name" level, since you would have a small list to choose from.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am still convinced that the best solution would be a nested search, like I suggested a number of times.
Country, region, town, street, house number, in that order, with separate entry fields, without an option to even start entering the next field before the previous one is fully populated.

No need to parse the address, instant search would apply at that hierarchy level only. So typing "Edin" when a town is expected would only yield "Edinburgh" but not the "Duke of Edinburgh" pub; typing "Oxf" when a street is expected would yield "Oxford Street" in the selected town (also "Oxford Circus" if the town is London ), but not hundreds of other "Oxford Street"s in other towns and definitely not Oxford the city...

DrYak's Lodz problem would automatically resolve itself at the "entering the town name" level, since you would have a small list to choose from.
Indeed, this way we can resolve such ambiguity in the address. I should take it in my plans. There is a lot of work to make it possible.

On Pure Maps side, things will be relatively simple, but still some effort is needed. GUI would have to be redesigned and adjusted for such address entry. Would be great to know whether there are online services providing such way of search (where you do specify city and such).

On Geocoder-NLP side things will be way more complicated. I will have to figure out which OSM admin levels correspond to which in such form (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...administrative) or geocode using WOF (https://www.whosonfirst.org/). Right now we just have one layer below another, without specific meaning of it. If we also want to be able to write with the errors / skipping accents then there are more steps to be done on the top as well.

So, in short, that's not coming over tomorrow. Nor in very near future - but probably should be planned.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
New release is out: 1.6.0, 1.6.1

This is a release which does not bring any new features, its a major rework on internals. In particular, I have changed the way the page stack was implemented. In addition, I reduced the number of python calls from QML by caching configuration on QML side.

The introduced changes were all over the code and, while testing has been done, its possible that I missed something. So, if you hit a bug, please file the issue or report here. I will do my best to fix all ASAP.

In addition, many translations have been updated. We are still missing translators for few languages though: FI SL HU.

In this version, I added fonts resource for the raster maps which will fix POIs not showing up when starting with these maps (HERE, HSL, OpenCycleMap, Sputnik, Thunderforest Transport).

BTW, looks like MapQuest is back for us. So, its users can start using this service again.

Edit: Just hit a bug on starting navigation or nearby search from POI (either panel or dedicated page). Should be fixed now in 1.6.1

Now, after the version is described, there are few more subjects for discussion.

Mapbox GL QML plugin

When working with @pichlo, I have hit few times the case where Pure Maps was hanging on my device. I managed to get backtrace and it pointed to OpenSSL functions. Then I made a version of Mapbox GL plugin which added few locking functions for OpenSSL. For @pichlo, this made startup slower and did not fix bug that he was hitting. For me, though, when running SSL-locks enabled Mapbox GL resulted in not getting any hangs on Pure Maps for a week. [which doesn't prove much since the events were rare anyway]. However, if you do experience that Pure Maps fails to stop (can be observed by the issues with the start of Pure Maps later and through examining output of ps), I would suggest to try Mapbox GL QML plugin with SSL locks:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:...la.armv7hl.rpm

(for i486 see the corresponding repo).

Please report your experience if you start using it. @pichlo, you may want to try again since I changed the startup sequence of Pure Maps and maybe it will not be as slow as when you tried before.

Mapbox access

Our counts for Mapbox tile downloads are so far OK, will be somewhere around 30-40K tiles per month. Which is relatively close to the border of the free tier - 50K. According to the current conditions, If we do hit over 50K, I'll have to pay for extras or get account suspended. I have contacted Mapbox and had a discussion on different ways to resolve it. Since they cannot limit me to 50K, as a solution, Mapbox suggested to ask users to register on their site and get their own access code. This is a solution that they consider as compliant with their conditions for open source projects.

In practice, I will monitor the situation and will introduce a simplish way to enter the access code in the future versions. Current code initialization is done with such extension in mind. While a bit of a pain for users, it will allow us to use the very high quality tiles (styling and updates) that they provide for free and without any cost. It will also scale with the user base.

Last edited by rinigus; 2018-09-23 at 10:48.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
From the silence over here, I conclude that all works as expected after the rewrite .

Those who had Pure Maps refusing to start due to the hanging exit, has the experimental Mapbox GL QML plugin from OBS fixed the issue?

I am considering moving most of the navigation preferences from Navigation page (the one that you see when you start navigation by pressing "Begin") to overall preferences page. This is to consolidate settings for navigation with and without destination as well as keeping settings that people don't change out of the way.

The only reason to keep settings on navigation page is to have a simple way to change them while navigating. I, personally, use

* "Voice navigation instructions" - that's mainly for development reasons, could be moved

* "Map scale" when switching from OSM Scout to HERE Traffic while driving (HERE doesn't need to be scaled). How to make it better and fix it for good, I will address later, but for now, its something that is changed.

As for other switches, I keep them always the same:

* Show navigation instructions
* Reroute automatically
* Snap position to road
* Show direction signs
* Speed limit

In my mind, we can move it all to the main preferences since I expect that the users set it once and forget about it. Any reasons for not doing so?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Pure Maps 1.7.0 is out with the updated translations and few enhancements.

This version introduces "follow me" mode, aka aimless driving around. It allows you to switch to the navigation mode without any route predefined and without any destination. When used with map matching provided by OSM Scout Server, speed limits and current street are displayed. To start, go to the main menu, choose Navigation, and select Follow Me, press Start. If the destination was defined in Navigation, follow me is available via pulley menu. To stop the mode, go to the same place in the main menu.

For all GPX users, there are two routers now supporting GPX. None of them supports rerouting, by design. The routers are available under Main menu/Navigation, choose "GPX" or "GPX Smart" and fill in the requested file.

Plain GPX router just reads in the route or track from GPX file and follows it. There are no navigation instructions, just the route.

GPX Smart processes your track via OSM Scout Server/Valhalla, map matches it to the route network and provides you with the navigation instructions. Note that if you have a track from the run in the forest along trails, Valhalla will probably fail to match it with the route network if you specify that you are going to use a car. So, here, the mode of transportation has to match your GPX.

GPX functionality has been mainly tested against tracks recorded by Laufhelden. GPX is parsed by https://github.com/tkrajina/gpxpy which is included in the distribution of Pure Maps.

As nobody protested over here, I consolidated all settings under Preferences. Exception is map zoom factor and I will have to find an elegant solution for that in future. Since map styles are planned to be grouped and selection simplified in future, I will probably address map zoom settings at the same time. As a result of such movement of the settings, if you wish start using voice prompts in the middle of navigation, go to Preferences, not Navigation page.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
please @rinigus can you add all this for translation. also thank you at spanish translator of PM, it is doing exellent work in translating/adapting the string in portrait mode.
Attached Images

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-10-05 at 00:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
please @rinigus can you add all this for translation. also thank you at spanish translator of PM, it is doing exellent work in translating/adapting the string in portrait mode.
No, that's out of my reach. As far as I can see, its Foursquare list and its not available in Spanish. The list is provided by Foursquare.com through their API.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
No, that's out of my reach. As far as I can see, its Foursquare list and its not available in Spanish. The list is provided by Foursquare.com through their API.
ok, any plans to fix that conflict?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post: