Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Hi all

some of you may have seen my thread about my headphone volume low and it seems that my nokia headphones that came with the N900 have just died there really quiet and i just plugged some other ones in and it blasted my ear drums into another galaxy. Do you think these will be covered by the warranty ? i know alot of people dont like them but i find they fit my ears perfectly. Should i chase vodafone or nokia ? i got the phone through contract with voda,

Cheers Jay

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Usually Nokia warranty doesn't cover 'accessories' bundled with the sales package so I suspect not.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
In the UK I am pretty sure they are legally obliged to cover ALL accessories for at a least 1 year. Do not let them convince you otherwise, if they try just be really persistent claiming your statutory rights.

All goods must last a reasonable time, which is minimum 1 year for anything that is not a consumable (and headphones certainly aren't). The only thing which will not apply is the battery as they ARE considered a consumable.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
In the UK I am pretty sure they are legally obliged to cover ALL accessories for at a least 1 year. Do not let them convince you otherwise, if they try just be really persistent claiming your statutory rights.

All goods must last a reasonable time, which is minimum 1 year for anything that is not a consumable (and headphones certainly aren't). The only thing which will not apply is the battery as they ARE considered a consumable.

hahhahhahhhhshahaha battery is consumable? lol. who would eat the battery that is flat and hard as a rock? what a stupid law.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
hahhahhahhhhshahaha battery is consumable? lol. who would eat the battery that is flat and hard as a rock? what a stupid law.
I seriously hope you are joking. Consumable refers to the fact it gets "used up", it does not merely refer to edible items its a general term for pens, paper, printer ink, batteries, etc.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
LMAO yes like the brake pads on your car are "consumable as they wear out but your car door is not (unless its a ford and gets consumed by rust)

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Espoo, Finland
You can fix the headphones. Take off the rubber pads and you will see a dark round canvas on the top of the headphone speaker in the middle. It is the pointy think in the middle around which the rubber padding goes. The canvas is most propably been soaked in earwax and the sound won't pass it properly anymore. There are no good ways of cleaning the canvas so it is good to just remove it. You won't notice any change in the working of the headphones, but you have to be a bit more carefull not to let any big dust or other stuff into the headphones.

Take some sharp and thin thing, a knife por example and pry away the canvas on top of the middle "tube". It is only slightly glued on and should come off easilly and without any damage. After the removal, the headphones will resume working correctly. At least worked for me.

I don't have any pictures for you how to do this, but I hope I explained this well enough that you know what to do.