Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I want to swear at this *&*^$%^ computer!

My bandwith at home (at least for upload) is limited to about 40kbps, so I decided to set the upload for the night (The file is compressed to only 1gb). This morning, I had a power outage, and I need to restart.

I think I'll upload the file tomorrow, since my school bandwidth has an upload rate of 5 mbps.
Sorry to keep you waiting.

P.S. the main goal of this post was to know if there is any interest in this. Seeing such enthusiasm, I will follow quole's advice.
Either way, expect to see a link tomorrow.

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iliaden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Enthusiasm! Count me in! Scratchbox is the hugest barrier to entry for the tablets. If you can do this it will be a great step forward for the developer and NON-developer segments of the community alike.

Thanks for your hard work and perseverance with this.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
wow i agree Scratchbox + SDK on the tablet be very cool

i wait for the official image....and i hope we got a little tuto for install all properly

woot
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by LABAUDIO View Post
wow i agree Scratchbox + SDK on the tablet be very cool

i wait for the official image....and i hope we got a little tuto for install all properly
I don't think this is about scratchbox on the tablet, just a portable image for e.g. a USB thumb drive that you can also run on Windows. You still build using the desktop and transfer to the tablet, AFAICT.

Still what I hope to see is a simple install with a few steps on any computer, and not the confusing process we see now to get a dev env running...

Yeah, we need some kind of very simple setup that can be more or less plug and play and still allow us to run, develop, and/or test applications in a stand alone environment that could be run from a Windows or Linux PC. I've been wanting to do some tinkering myself with some applications, and some possible dev work, but the stupid SDK is a bloody nightmare to navigate and I have yet to get it working right so that I can get any apps to install and/or run.

I guess I'm more or less asking for the equivalent to Wine, but for Diablo and Chinook apps that run on the tablets.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I wonder if there's a way to have interested users download Portable Ubuntu from the project site then maybe have a smaller portable ubuntu scratchbox install?

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
There is always a way, but it all depends on the amount of effort you need to put in.

To make it short: the documentation for the portable ubuntu project is atroceuos. That's why I decided to upload a complete image: so nobody else has to waste their time

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!