Active Topics

It is really a small set of binaries, and I have to keep these numbers in mind.

The point is: opera has a complete different browser for each supported plataform. I mean, the opera browser running on the 77'device is totaly different from the one running over a linux desktop, that's different of those running on symbians, and on win-desktops, and on winCE, and so on. This isn't definitly what mozilla wants at all. The same sourcebase runs over all this boxes above (except, Symbian so far).

Well, So there are good and not-so-good issues about this choice of mozilla regarding portability.

>> It also doesn't stop it using up to 21meg of RAM with some web pages though -

What do you mean ?! It crashed ?!

>> And when you have two of those running for some reason, there's not a hell of a >> lot of memory left to run anything else.

that's absolutily true. I hope you can 'rm' opera from your /usr/whatever soon

Originally Posted by tonikitoo
It is really a small set of binaries, and I have to keep these numbers in mind.

The point is: opera has a complete different browser for each supported plataform. I mean, the opera browser running on the 77'device is totaly different from the one running over a linux desktop, that's different of those running on symbians, and on win-desktops, and on winCE, and so on. This isn't definitly what mozilla wants at all. The same sourcebase runs over all this boxes above (except, Symbian so far).
That sounds like a recipe for a lot of wasted effort, unless the core of the browser - rendering engine for example - is the same in all cases. yeuch!
Well, So there are good and not-so-good issues about this choice of mozilla regarding portability.

>> It also doesn't stop it using up to 21meg of RAM with some web pages though -

What do you mean ?! It crashed ?!
Nope, it complained about low memory but still rendered the page. I was quite impressed.
>> And when you have two of those running for some reason, there's not a hell of a >> lot of memory left to run anything else.

that's absolutily true. I hope you can 'rm' opera from your /usr/whatever soon
Or get an image that excludes Opera and the newsreader. I've never seen the benefit of RSS on a disconnected device, as my 770 is for most of it's life.

Originally Posted by andymulhearn
Or get an image that excludes Opera and the newsreader.
that would be difficult. I see a lot of money involved between these 2 giants

FYI you sounded surprised that opera would crash - www.bge.com takes it out reliably, at least with plugins and js enabled. (In other news.. looking forward to getting some form of moz running on this thing. I do my rss reading with gregarius (http://www.gregarius.net) and opera does Bad Things with this AJAX app.)