Posts: 118 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Brazil
hello everyone!

I tried to install Debian on my N810 4times: in the 3 first, it says that the image is corrupted, and in the last time, it says that the image is good and it was installed correctly, but it don't open anything!

Itried to install mer and android, but i was really upset because it is so useless!

I installed bootmenu, formatted my external sd to ext2 and copy a iso of the Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 and it faailed to boot!

I tried too the kde installer v4 but after 12 hours "installing" (I have a 3MB wireless network at home).

So, i want a way to install a diferent OS, that no Mer.

I am really a linux n00b !!! Thaks for help!

(sorry for my bad english, but i'm trying to improve it!)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tuliobaars View Post
hello everyone!
I tried to install Debian on my N810 4times: in the 3 first, it says that the image is corrupted, and in the last time, it says that the image is good and it was installed correctly, but it don't open anything!
Itried to install mer and android, but i was really upset because it is so useless!
I installed bootmenu, formatted my external sd to ext2 and copy a iso of the Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 and it faailed to boot!
I tried too the kde installer v4 but after 12 hours "installing" (I have a 3MB wireless network at home).
So, i want a way to install a diferent OS, that no Mer.
Well, you haven't really told us enough to help you with any of those issues. If the Debian image was corrupted, that's probably not the fault of the N810. When you say it "don't [sic] open anything!", are you expecting something to happen after the installer finishes, or have you tried launching Debian apps the proper way and had that fail?
Android is mainly a curiousity, as I understand it - it hasn't been blessed by Google or Nokia, and I'm pretty sure it was made clear (last I checked) that it wasn't suitable for everyday use. Mer also has made that pretty clear (although they've been hard at work improving things).
I'm not sure what you're talking about with Ubuntu, but if you tried to boot the standard Desktop ISO linked from the Ubuntu home page, then it darn well isn't going to work - for one thing, the software from that image won't even run on the N810's processor! As for installing Ubuntu properly, it's in the same shape as Mer, at best (I haven't tried in ages).
I don't know what your problem with the Debian/KDE installer was, as you didn't finish the sentence... :S

But yeah, if you read the documentation on these alternative OSes, you'd find that they all say that they're not ready for everyday use yet. I'm sorry that you spent so much time trying unsuccessfully to get them up and running with that impression. If you do want to experiment with an alternative OS (with the understanding that they're experimental), I'm sure people would be glad to help you, but you'll need to tell us more about your problems.

Cheers,

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Brazil
ok. When i tried to open some debian apps like epiphany or open office, nothing happens. Sorry for not finish the sentence! (Oh god! I'm stupid or what?) .

What i was trying to say, is: after 12 hours "instaling" i stoped the instalation. In Gparted it says that my sd was partitioned 128mb swap, 256fat and 1512 mb ext2. The others 128mb wasn't allocated. In app manager, it appears that kde app is damaged so i uninstalled and i reinstaled 4 times with the same result.

This is my problem: I want to know what i need to boot from another OS (i have the bootmenu installed) and test another OS(by my own risk.. I don't know if I need a Kernel (what hell is that?) a bootloader or anotherthing.

With all respect,

Sorry for my stupidity and bad english

Best regards,

Last edited by tuliobaars; 2010-03-30 at 16:23. Reason: Grammar errors

I've tried a few alternatives too but as jaem stated, while there is some great work going on, none of the alternatives seem ready for every day use (for a newbie like me at least!).

A couple of things; the newest version of Mer is actually less usable than the older ones, because they changed to a new interface which is very slow on the N810. Basically, 0.16 will work better than 0.17. I havent used it on N810 for a while, but it seemed to work pretty good, but I didn't find a compelling reason to keep it because I'm happy with Maemo.

There are (correct me if I'm wrong) two old versions of Android running on N810. One is so old its not worth looking at, and the other, the old NITDroid is only semi-functional. I have an N810 booting to this; the touch screen is a bit funny, installing apps is very tricky and some bits aren't working at all. Not good enough for every day. But a new NITDroid is in development so hopefully things will be improved here :-)

This may not be the 'new OS' you're looking for, but have you tried Easy Debian? Look for the turbo charged version, I think qole put it up. It runs quite well (loading big apps takes a few seconds but not bad), seems very stable- you get open office, firefox etc and you can also use LXDE or other interfaces so you have a new look and feel. It actually runs inside Maemo so it is a bit slow and not really a totally alternative OS, but you do get to run full powerfull programs, it looks like a Linux PC and its easy to setup (no need for bootloader, kernel flashing etc). So maybe worth a try

Oh and PS: Welcome! You're English is very good

The Following User Says Thank You to happyblob For This Useful Post: