Just curious - has anyone done a proxy server like squid on a Windows 7 or XP box with a router and gotten it to work? If so what did you do? Thanks

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@ helio

My latest setup is a virtual machine setup running xubuntu on vista using virtual box.

@ mountianx

what problems are you having? Are you getting a login request? For a while I was getting a login but couldn't find any pages. Had to do with my connection settings on the box running the proxy, gateway issues I think.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
@ mountianx

what problems are you having? Are you getting a login request? For a while I was getting a login but couldn't find any pages. Had to do with my connection settings on the box running the proxy, gateway issues I think.
I am not getting a login request in the browser on the phone. (I don't really want to say which browser and which phone, however...)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I am not getting a login request in the browser on the phone. (I don't really want to say which browser and which phone, however...)
Sounds like it's an issue with your phone issue then.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Atlanta, GA
After trying unsuccessfully to configure squid in gedit, I gave webmin a try, and it worked great. Here are step-by-step instructions: http://rootzone.net/setting-squid-pr...ver-on-webmin/

Note: it's very important to have your port forwarding set up correctly.

Note 2: If you use autocomplete to enter your username at the prompt, be sure to delete the space that shows up automatically. That had me stumpped for close to 15 minutes.

hey mountainx, i saw on howardforums that you were trying to get the sidekick plan working on the nexus one. i'm on the same boat. i only need the data plan a few days of the month, so it would be very useful to me. did you get it working?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Woodbridge, NJ, USA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Not sure if you want to go down that route...if you want to keep that $10 plan.

I called (new to T-Mo this month), and asked about the different APN names. Long story short, they bumped me up to $25 plan...working on getting that changed.

I was on the "Shadow Web Plan" (didn't know it was "phone specific") and limited to the "Internet2" APN, and was told it was "newer" and "less used". None of the other APN names worked. I was never prompted to "upgrade" before...just got connection failure messages. Now that I'm "upgraded", all APNs work. Basically the $10 plans are for "dumber phones" and have "special features" and data is presented differently than normal web. I didn't notice a difference, especially in Philly.
How did you get $10 plan work on N900? It's not working for me...using APN epc.tmobile.com...

HI
I plan to get one of these sims with the sidekick option done for when I visit the US. Any settings that I need to add so I can be fully setup or will it work when I put it in?
I am currently looking at the proxy options to see if I can get it installed on my readynas duo or a similar app.

Cheers

Scott

Hi
Just got squid installed on my readynas duo - works great internally. I am going to test with my n900 in the UK to see if it can connect to it and use the proxy. Question, do I just have to route the port its setup for on the firewall or do I have to do other settings?
Also - I have no gui, so any help on settings as I have to alter the squid.conf file.

Thanks Scott

Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
Hi
Just got squid installed on my readynas duo - works great internally. I am going to test with my n900 in the UK to see if it can connect to it and use the proxy. Question, do I just have to route the port its setup for on the firewall or do I have to do other settings?
Also - I have no gui, so any help on settings as I have to alter the squid.conf file.

Thanks Scott
I used the sidekick plan but I I use openvpn to connect to my home network. I also have squid proxy (internal) for net filtering and use that for n900, n810 and 2 laptops. It seems tmobile allows vpn on port 1194.
If you are just connecting from tmobile network, then you need open a port for squid on your firewall and use one of the open ports that the sidekick plan allows (25,110,143,465,587,993,995, 8080) and forward that to your squid proxy. Note 8080 is tmobile proxy so not sure if there will be a conflict if you use that port. I use port 995 for ssh/proxy. On the n900 connections settings, put this on the advance settings (ie. your_wan_ip port 995). Then you can surf the net, maps, etc.

I don't feel secure on the tmobile network so I vpn or ssh-tunnel to my home server to surf, usually. Also, make sure you have strong passwords on your ssh server or use public key authentication and move ssh port to other than port 22. Remember, the n900 is linux and can get rooted just like any other linux, usually through ssh.