Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
It is not user-ready yet, but it's a huge milestone: postmarketOS has been ported to the Proš by Danct12 (based on previous work by NotKit). This also means mainline kernel (thanks to Kholk) accessible to mere mortals (so far I only saw developers like Kholk and Danct12 themselves flash the WIP mainline kernel on their Proš).

I put together some instructions here with the help of Danct12: https://gist.github.com/Kabouik/4046...6d4e5d65000316

So far the touchscreen is broken, apparently due to a lack of denoising in the hardware, but (1) the issue does not occur with Android kernel so hopefully this can be solved in software, and (2) Kholk may have a set of patches for that, but I don't know where to get them at the moment and don't know if he deemed them relevant or too hacky for mainlining. Also the WLAN firmware is not installed in the current port, but it's confirmed to be working and Danct12 said he will update the port with it.

With this first port of a distribution that depends on mainline, there's also good hope that Leste folks could start tests on the Proš too (I warned Wizzup who said he will try when he gets his Proš, currently held hostage by someone else).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2022-03-15 at 09:30.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
If I am correct PostmarketOs achievments helps also Leste team. Still I always feel bad when I here updates from other platforms than Leste. I so much hope they (not sure who actually, maybe you too) can make it to work as a daily driver for N900 and for Fx devices.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
As you said, pmOS and Leste are more mutualistic than competitors so I think that's good. Also, I'm very excited with Leste and looking forward to trying it on my Pro1, but on the other hand I also see pmOS as a real good OS to run on a Pro1. With my use of Debian in LXC on top of SFOS, I really grew a dependence for desktop WMs, and pmOS allows using many WM or DE.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
When I get my proX I know who to ask guidance to get things working. Not too much though. I have ordered it with LineageOs. Have never used sailfish so a bit afraid jumping on that horse. But would like to use Leste of course if it would be working. Postmarket is a valid option if the calls and stuff works.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
...Have never used sailfish so a bit afraid jumping on that horse...
I think there is nothing less difficult.
looks like designed for "normal users" after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Among the major issues at this stage: the touchscreen is unusable because it's too noisy, which may be caused by a hardware design flaw according to people who know better than me what they are talking about. I heard the Proš*is*missing denoising diodes or caps, which leads to noise on the bus that mainline doesn't deal with correctly. This may also be the cause of keystrokes coming unregistered when typing moderately fast; I have to type exaggeratedly slow for all my keystrokes to be registered.

Now obviously both those issues don't occur with the Android kernel which means there may be efficient software fixes for that. Kholk (Angelo, the dev working on mainlining the Proš*and Prošx) has some patch for it but I don't think anyone else tried it. I'd be willing to but I don't know how to proceed since the patch is applied to the kernel itself, not pmaports (pmOS). And there would be conflicts since an older version of the series is already merged. Also apparently noise rejection is already at the maximum. There's not much I can do since I'm only a user, but I hope devs involved in SD835 mainlining and pmOS port can come up with solutions at some point*.*

*: So far nicknames I have in mind include Kholk (Github, Twitter), Danct12 (Gitlab, Twitter, Discord, Telegram, IRC), NotKit/TheKit (Github, Gitlab, Telegram, IRC, Discord, Matrix), Deathmist (Telegram, Matrix, IRC), Calebccff (Twitter, Matrix, Telegram). [Sorry I didn't bother to find URLs to all their Twitter or Git accounts :/].

Last edited by Kabouik; 2022-03-15 at 11:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Please don't hesitate to star the instructions on gist.github.com to make them easier to find by others directly from a search engine.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Jul 2021 @ Blueberry World
The Wi-Fi should now work with the latest merge request update, however still no merge.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danct12 For This Useful Post: