Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Just so you all know: I have promised in the past to elevate your concerns (and have when/where I could). I have been presented the opportunity to get those concerns into a very visible place... and took advantage of it.

Now, I did so at a very high level, ie, pointing out general shortcomings (such as with customer service) rather than harping on specifics that belong in, say, bugzilla. And while I can't guarantee any results, especially soon, I thought some of you would like to know the effort was being made and that your valid concerns are not merely dissipating into vapor.

I remain cautiously hopeful.

Ok, this is a little thing, but bring back the hard cover.

My N800 is not as useful as my 770 simply becasue I am not as comforable just sticking it my back pocket or throwing it in my bag. The auto-ejecting soft cover was a huge mistake!

Thanks a lot for that, Tex. I for one admire and appreciate your dedication -- and unfortunately I believe it is sorely needed at this time.

I'm sure I'm not the only "old-timer" who's been slowly realizing this over the past few weeks/couple o' months : nothing much is happening over here these days. The volume of daily posts may look healthy, but it's really a bubble : lots of newbie questions by new users, ancient threads resurrected by same, a third stupid flame war in one month (!), but not much really new, unusual or interesting (umpteenth promise of a SIP client RSN, anyone ? :-).

And wait - it's even worse over on the maemo lists, from where the insider information used to trickle down. Not a word in ages about 770 support, or the hacker 2007 edition, or indeed the fabled new N800 ROM. Looks like everybody is just waiting for Skype or something...

Methinks this boat is riding its own wave right now, just coasting along... and if it doesn't build up momentum again sometime soon it may start to sink. With Intel gearing up its Linux UMPC killers for next year, the windows of opportunity for Nokia to "get things right" has shrunk. And I'd hate to be left holding yet another Psion.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I agree fpp, and I share those concerns. They are what led me to recently conclude the tablet platform is at a cusp right now-- Nokia's next big move may very well determine its ultimate fate.

To andrbr: well, that's a detail thing and I was really addressing issues at a higher level. But rest assured the tablet program has heard that one... many times.

Hey I just got the N800 and I hope it doesn't go away. Well it being kinda open like it is now I don't see it going anywhere but level or up.

I was at the Web 2.0 Expo this past month and they were really pushing the N800 along with the rest of the N series showing how these devices are the future of mobile internet and they are leading the way to the open standard when it comes to that area. I just believe it's that time of year were people have better things to do then post on a site; I have a few forums and this happens every year.

I don't know much about the N800 development since I just got into it and I am actually working on some online sites based around the N800 but I am sure the development follows the same lead as the surfing does when the sun is out late people are more often to work less cause they have other things on their mind.

I will apologize head if I have said anything out of the topic or anything that doesn't make sense I just wanted to dd my opinion on the matter.

Loving this N800 and the community

No problem KNK! You're well within topic, and welcome!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Many thanks Texrat!

There's already a lot of dialog between Nokia and community developers, but far less direct communication between Nokia and "ordinary" users. While a lot of noise is likely on any forum, it's great that someone such as yourself can filter the noise and forward concerns/issues to the powers that be, and keep us informed of responses/progress in the Internet Tablet space.

Now - where is the bl**dy Nokia N800 Case????! It's long overdue!

Thanks Mil, and I wish that case was out too! And Skype!

But I may take a breather from this site for a bit. I seem to be a lightning rod for flamers. Maybe a break from me will let them cool a bit.

Right now I can't say that there's been any meaningful reception to my N800-related commentary made today. The venue was very unique though and its mere (brief) appearance means that SOMEone is listening...

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-15 at 05:04.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Hi Texrat

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I agree fpp, and I share those concerns. They are what led me to recently conclude the tablet platform is at a cusp right now-- Nokia's next big move may very well determine its ultimate fate.
Are there really real concerns? There can't be new news all the time. Brilliant Texrat that you can pass on good feedback. But I'd like to think Nokia will stick with the tablets, particularly as they are ahead at the moment. Is it case of doom and gloom feel from overzealous messages here?

Originally Posted by Texrat
But I may take a breather from this site for a bit. I seem to be a lightning rod for flamers. Maybe a break from me will let them cool a bit.
Thanks for all your posts, I've valued the stuff you've posted. You are one of the most reasonable considered posters around!

Rich

Heck, richie, fpp and I may just be feeling a bit of sophomore angst... lol. I do believe it's at a make-or-break point and the next major OS release will be a good indicator of whether it still has legs or not.

I do believe Nokia is solidly behind it, at least one program anyway. Devices like the N800 represent the next communications paradigm, so the company needs to be! But the sad experience of the N-Gage aptly demonstrates that executives will not hesitate to pull the plug even after investing a lot of money IF the product does not meet expectations. We'll see.

And thanks for the personal feedback. I'll try to do even better.