Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Wow, overreact much?
Just a little bit (the "fu.." part). My apologies.

The community doesn't own Nokia's property.

I'm just thinking out loud anyway.

Chill.
Sorry, but it didn't look like that. And I was talking about intellectual property too - for example I don't want Jolla's lawyers to be on me in a couple of months because I've REed and published the source code of VKB, libcal, etc. Now noone owns Maemo(as a property) for the simple reason that Nokia just don't care anymore about it. And it is better the community, represented legally by the board to own that, not some yet-to-be-seen third party. Thus my (over)reaction.

EDIT:
EDIT: you know what? It's not worth it. Strike me from the Foundation. The poison being spewed has really spoiled it for me.
And who is overreacting now :P.

See, I had just put you in my list of the people to be in the board when I saw your statement that Jolla is the best one to take over Maemo. And I suspect I am not the only one.

Chill

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-10-19 at 04:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Sorry, but it didn't look like that. And I was talking about intellectual property too - for example I don't want Jolla's lawyers to be on me in a couple of months because I've REed and published the source code of VKB, libcal, etc. Now noone owns Maemo(as a property) for the simple reason that Nokia just don't care anymore about it. And it is better the community, represented legally by the board to own that, not some yet-to-be-seen third party. Thus my (over)reaction.
Don't worry, there is no way Jolla could take over the intellectual property of Nokia.

However, as SD69 explained, any partnership with them for funding activities, promotion of their software stack/products might be beneficial for the community as it was previously with Nokia.

Please stay tuned for more news on this subject.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-10-19 at 06:40.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Dear Council,

Some clarifications required again

One thing I don't seem to understand is how do the chair, secretary and treasurer get appointed?

For example, we have 3 Directors elected and all 3 desire to be chair what would the deciding factor be?

Can we expressly add that the votes a candidate garners will determine his right to a position or something like that?

Secondly, I think it needs to be defined that while a Director may hold multiple positions, the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer must be different Directors for the sake of transperancy...If the Chair was Treasurer too it would not be too healthy IMO even if realistically its not that plausible...

I apologize if the above have been covered before as I'm about to drop so didn't do much searching and thought that it would be better to put this in before the Board is finalised...
Due to his duties, Chair must be one of the three members of the Board, however I don't see why Treasurer needs to be also a member of Board, it could be perfectly one trusted member of the community designated by Board.

Edit: this is my personal view, however, as it's defined in the By-Laws that the Treasurer shall be a Director (member of the Board). Maybe SD69 could clarify it.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-10-19 at 07:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Due to his duties in communication and elections process, Chair must be one of the three members of the Board, however I don't see why Treasurer needs to be also a member of Board, it could be perfectly one trusted member of the community designated by Board.
So how are the Chair, Secretary, Treasurer chosen? How if all the 3 candidates desire to be Chair then what?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Due to his duties, Chair must be one of the three members of the Board, however I don't see why Treasurer needs to be also a member of Board, it could be perfectly one trusted member of the community designated by Board.

Edit: this is my personal view, however, as it's defined in the By-Laws that the Treasurer shall be a Director (member of the Board). Maybe SD69 could clarify it.
No problem to change Treasurer (or Secretary for that matter), while the Chair stays as a Board member. But note there can be an Executive Director or similar position, and if there is, the responsibilities of the Chair are substantially lessened.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
So how are the Chair, Secretary, Treasurer chosen? How if all the 3 candidates desire to be Chair then what?
The Board has to work it out. Not every issue should be addressed in the bylaws.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The Board has to work it out. Not every issue should be addressed in the bylaws.
To prevent a case of dragging on in matters can't it added in the by-laws that the Director with the highest votes has the first priority on Chair and so on?

Could you also comment your views on the following as I think it got lost in the arguments on the previous page:

Secondly, I think it needs to be defined that while a Director may hold multiple positions, the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer must be different Directors for the sake of transperancy...If the Chair was Treasurer too it would not be too healthy IMO even if realistically its not that plausible for a dishonest person to be entering the BoD that easily...

Thanks!

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-19 at 13:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Please check and review. To see deltas from previous versions, see the respective pdf links in those posts further back in this thread.
(Pet peeve: this should have been done in the wiki from the beginning instead of binary attachments flying off in all directions.)

This bit (part X, page 5):
If no additional nominations are received within the extended nomination period, or further extension would cause the election cycle to exceed sixty (60) days, the Board shall decide by majority vote the appropriate action at that time, including but not limited to appointment, installment, or rejection of some or all of the nominees and/or existing Directors to the respective body.
in the context of the paragraph it's in, sounds like it applies to the community council as well. I'd rather the board didn't have that power over the council (and vice versa), perhaps rephrase as "either body" or something similar?

Each member satisfying the criteria to vote in an election shall receive a single transferrable vote, via ballot or token, in such election and instructions on how to use said instrument.
Perhaps this should also specify the method (eg Fractional Transfer STV, as in past Maemo CC elections) used to calculate the results?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My apologies to the community for my own overreaction: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=18

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Thanks for staying with us, Texrat - you're kind of living legend, no matter what. [silly joke]Just don't do it once per week, ok?[/silly joke].

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?