Active Topics

also I have that problem with respect to messages sent from the iOS platform ... but apparently the problem is when an unknown number, but if you have registered your phone N9 messages iOS will fall normally, so we first have to save the numbers of those platforms so we can chat with them normally ... Greetings

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico City
Private messages to people on my contact list who have Windows and iOS get to them but when they send me a message, it doesn't make it back to me. Although, my friend with iOS sent me a screenshot to prove she sent a message, and I received that! ---Strange.

I’m sure this has been said before, but I think it’s time we all face up to the reality that we can never have the full functionality that Whatsapp offers on other platforms. I’m as appreciative and respectful as everyone here of all the hard work done by Tgalal, Cepiperez, Coderus and countless others to bring us first Wazapp, then Mitakuuluu then Whatsup, and I will forever be grateful for their tireless efforts to keep the N9 community relevant even after we were shafted by Nokia, screwed over by Microsoft and completely ignored by Whatsapp.

But as much hard work as the developers here do, we’ll always be two steps behind the official Whatsapp clients; the uninvited guests at the dinner table. Now with the news that Whatsapp will stop supporting older OSes, including S40, our constant battle to try and keep up is effectively over.

I don’t want to have to give up Whatsup; I love the interface and the usability that only an app native to Meego Harmattan can deliver. And I hate the idea of sticking with a messaging app that refuses (perhaps for justifiable commercial and/or operational reasons) to cater to what is admittedly a hyper-niche OS. But the reality is that virtually all of my contacts, work and personal, use Whatsapp. For the past month and a half I’ve been missing out on important work-related communications because messages are simply not reaching me. And at some point I’ve got to question why my preference for this exotic OS that no one seems to know or care about should trump or even endanger my livelihood.

That said, I don’t see myself stopping using Whatsup until the very bitter end, when Whatsapp’s constant updates have rendered it completely crippled. I love Whatsup (did I say that already?) and I have full faith in its developers to keep us within touching distance of the official client. So I’ll miss a few messages here and there; I can deal with that. But the pragmatist in me knows that at some point – and some point very soon – I’ll have to get an Android phone and give my N9 its well-deserved rest.

Maybe once in a while I’ll turn it on and fire up Whatsup, just to remind myself that once upon a time, for a couple of heady years, I had the fortune and the privilege of being among the very few people anywhere to have used the greatest Whatsapp client the world has ever known.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janitor X For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Janitor X View Post
But the reality is that virtually all of my contacts, work and personal, use Whatsapp. For the past month and a half I’ve been missing out on important work-related communications because messages are simply not reaching me.
I find it a bit odd and fairly amuzing that anyone would propose to use a proprietary unreliable social media messenger for any kind of serious work related stuff.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
This is bit offtopic, but here's what I've done so far since WU for Harmattan stopped working last month:
1.- I checked alternatives, being Telegram my preferred option. Most of it is opensourced - though not the server-side. I also think it is lightyears ahead in features. I've been using it's web & desktop clients for almost one month.
2.- Explored the possibility to help testing Meegram, but @Heyadat told me it's not mature enough.
3.- Decided to buy a Jolla Phone, with the idea to use *ONLY* the Telegram client. I expect the delivery for next tuesday.
4.- In the meantime I have convinced my relatives & important people to start to use it, trying to teach them some of the features.
5.- I already have +25 contacts , and counting.....
6.- Yesterday I finally signed-out in WA, with the idea of never looking back. It's just a question of personal choice.
7.- Plus my N9 battery has almost doubled since I uninstalled the WU client.
8.- I think I'll miss the N9 in the begining, but I hope that someday a native Telegram client will be available and then..... who knows
Just my two cents.
Regards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by Janitor X View Post
But the pragmatist in me knows that at some point – and some point very soon – I’ll have to get an Android phone and give my N9 its well-deserved rest.
Buy yourself a Nexus 4/5 and install SFO on it so you can keep on doing Linux stuff. Install sfdroid for using the Android social media apps that you're used to have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I find it a bit odd and fairly amuzing that anyone would propose to use a proprietary unreliable social media messenger for any kind of serious work related stuff.
I agree; call me old school, but I prefer email for work-related correspondence. Nevertheless, the fact remains that among my network of peers, Whatsapp has become the default communication platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janitor X For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I make it simple: If my friends, customers coworkers etc. ask me if i have whatsapp - i say no, But they reach me : Via Telegram, email or sms ;-)
So i see no problem to substitute WA with Telegram. My contact list in Telegram growing, and when i show people telegram, they agree, that " it looks and feels like Whatsapp"

People use WA, bacause other do, the don't know any alternatives... But there are alternatives there. Of course Telegram is not so well-known like WA, not so open and transparent like XMPP/Jabber, not so secure like Signal... But i can live with it without thinking about my account will be banned because i have: unsupported client / unsupported os / abandoned Protocol or root... ;-)

Last edited by explit; 2016-02-29 at 00:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
friends, such are? I wonder if someone could say how could customize the icon whatsup me? .... because I would like to change something in the appearance of the icon and put something different ... someone knows how to do ??? Thanks in advance .. sorry the English'm using a translator

Support stops also for Symbian S60 and S40
https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...mobile-devices

Tags
cepi rocks, cepiperez, harmattan, whatsapp, whatsup