Notices

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
ohh one other thing, if you do get this up and running and I believe that you will, this app is too important to let die.

One thing though, please think of a good name for it, please dont call it grr or maemail or something silly, although maemail MyMail sound quite good

What theme are you using and is the small clock icon in the status bar the alarm icon (and is it included in the theme)?
Sorry for the little bit off topic but it looks nice.
Also I would try to contact the original developers of your modded applications and ask them to merge their project with yours and not duplicate it with another (better) skin if possible.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Absolutely wonderful work.

If you have the time, let me give you some more ideas for future remakes:
- cbrPager. There are little options for comics readers, this one is GTK, and although it works good, the UI is non-intuitive and difficult to use with fingers.
- QStarDict. Needs a bit of polishing.
- PDF Reader. The default reader is not very complete, perhaps a good port of Okular could fill the gaps.
- Image viewer. Again the default one lacks a lot of features especially swirl zoom gesture. A port of Gwenview could also do the trick.

Well maybe all this is a bit of abuse, but you are really a very good designer.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The QTfied grr is nice, thanks Bootroo. One thing to improve could be avoiding the annoying effect that when one tries to scroll by sweeping with his finger, text gets also selected.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I tried to install it using the .deb file but the app manager has a problem and the message says incompatible package. What does this mean? Whats wrong? And when do you plan to add this app to extras-devel?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Install it in xterm
First do

sudo gainroot

(rootsh package must be installed) then

dpkg -i [package_name]

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Funny, I was thinking to do something like this myself these days, because the author of grr doesn't seem active any more, even on his Garage forums.

Only it would have been in PyQt, not C++...

For me, these are the main things lacking in the present Grr UI :

* the choice between viewing posts feed by feed (as it is now) and a single list of all new posts (like in Google Reader mobile),

* MORE KEYBOARD SUPPORT : move up and down in the new posts, mark all read, refresh, etc. Feedly does this very well !

* an option in Preferences to toggle "view only unread" globally for all feeds, not one by one... and remember it :-)

* masking the password in the login screen, and starting the network if offline, would nice additions as well...

If you did some of these, we could avoid a second fork :-)

TIA,
fp

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
i would say that generally, good developper are weak in design and graphics so i try to use my developping competences to enhance the UI, leaving the core to original devs.
Very nice! I really appreciate what you are doing.

Perhaps you would be interested in getting in touch with the developer of Witter (Daniel Would: http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter/). Witter is one of the most useful applications on my N900, but I think it would be markedly improved with a new look.

Keep up the good work!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
i would say that generally, good developper are weak in design and graphics so i try to use my developping competences to enhance the UI, leaving the core to original devs.
True many developers, including myself are bad in UI design and thats really is a problem in open source world imho. We need more design people so for those like design please contribute in Meego/Maemo projects :-D

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I should perhaps rename this thread to 'Qt4 apps REMAKES' but i don't know how to do that.
I believe you should be able to do this by editing the first post in the thread.

However, I think it would be preferable to have one thread per app, so maybe you could start a new thread for trojita, and new threads for each other app.