Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I would just add, that you are of course entitled to your own opinion. However as someone who wants to use just about anything else then android I'd prefer not to scare away any potential sailfish development.

They screwed up, but so does many companies as they try and survive. Let your signature speak for it self

So I'm happy to support Maemo L, ubport, Librem phone and sailfish. Sailfish in many peoples opinion should have given up a long time ago, but they managed to hold on. Plus they are helping by. should what can be done and perhaps what shouldn't be done.

With that said, do what you got to do

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-03-01 at 19:02.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by xman View Post
I would just add, that you are of course entitled to your own opinion. However as someone who wants to use just about anything else then android I'd prefer not to scare away any potential sailfish development.

They screwed up, but so does many companies as they try and survive. Let your signature speak for it self

So I'm happy to support mama L, ubport, Librem phone and sailfish. Sailfish in many onion should have given up a long time ago, but they managed to hold on. Plus they are helping by. should what can be done and perhaps what shouldn't be done.

With that said, do what you got to do

x
Sure. I doubt I scare of anyone if so, they don’t believe in what they doing anyway
Consider this. How many posts about this project has told chen to focus on other os than android? I’m not saying it’s bad or defending android. I love to see other OS. Just made the point that poeple have different preferences and to say that do not scare away anyone.

This device is hopefully a multi OS device and that’s one of the greatest thing about it...possibly only beaten by the main feature. A REAL QWERTY.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-03-01 at 19:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@chen and @htheb
this time I need to support one statement of Dave (I do know: never feed the ...)

We all know that Maemo Leste is not yet in a state to be used as daily driver but it is not that far from that (depending on your use case).
So a statement whether FX will be supporting Maemo Leste or not would give it another boost (imho).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Now that the physical keys are back and warmly welcomed by many, hoping that people will soon acknowledge mobile phones are supposed to be portable and small, well, "mobile"!

Great work Chen and team!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Favorite"? Two of the five I have not even heard of. Two more I have heard but never seen. Some "favorites", heh

And not an N9 or Jolla 1 in sight
Well I did think about the N9 and Jolla 1, but I was kind of lazy to be honest. I should have said "some of the popular phones around here".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
We all know that Maemo Leste is not yet in a state to be used as daily driver but it is not that far from that (depending on your use case).
So a statement whether FX will be supporting Maemo Leste or not would give it another boost (imho).
I think it would be difficult for Fx Tec to make such a statement, particularly to make a commitment to supporting any operating system that they may not be familiar with. Supporting Maemo Leste properly means supporting mainline Linux, and that often relies on third-party suppliers (like Qualcomm) providing the necessary documentation and support, something that historically, has frequently not happened. If Fx Tec made such a statement and it did not meet expectations, could you imagine the uproar? Especially here on TMO, we've seen it plenty of times before. I think that from a business perspective, they've done the right thing to say "this is an Android device with an unlocked bootloader". Anything else really is a bonus. Let's not forget that whether we want Sailfish or Maemo Leste, we are a niche market and Fx Tec is a startup. They don't owe us anything. They have to succeed as a business first and foremost.

Liangchen has come out to say that they will support the community to get other OSs running on the device and I think that's great. I can also confirm that he kept to his word and contacted me via PM. He is serious about supporting mainline Linux. It's too early to tell how successful this will be, but the early signs are promising.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2019-03-01 at 22:14.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I think the situation could not have been described better, wicket Thanks for the useful comment.

I completely see it the same way; Chen has stated to help both getting mainline supported (and thus Maemo Leste), and getting Sailfish OS supported. That's already super awesome in my opinion.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes. Maybe I was not clear enough.
I trust Chen and did not await an offical announcement that the Pro1 will support/run Leste but only that they will help. And that statement was already given!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@chen and @htheb
this time I need to support one statement of Dave (I do know: never feed the ...)

Thank you Peter! I apologise first if my reply causes mis-understanding and confusion...

What I meant was not about Maemo Leste... That wasn't my intention at all. It was Dave's accusation to another company that makes me feel uncomfortable. Ultimately we are all small group of users fight for something we love. I just want to state I am not with Dave's continuous accusation, that's it.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Liangchen has come out to say that they will support the community to get other OSs running on the device and I think that's great. I can also confirm that he kept to his word and contacted me via PM. He is serious about supporting mainline Linux. It's too early to tell how successful this will be, but the early signs are promising.
Thank you. SFOS community port was what I have planned a long time ago and I (sort of) know which level of help and support I can provide to make that happen. So I am doing what was planned. However mainlining the SoC is something new to me, and I need time to discover what we could help with the process. Wicket has provided some very valuable information about the direction, but I need some time to work out with the team the best way of moving forwards. I don't want to false promise things I am not 100% certain yet, but what I meant is I will support as much as I can, just as SFOS community port. And I need to find out how.

So what I meant was not comparing the solutions, but ultimately we are a community and want to get back what we have missed 10 years ago. There is no need starting fight within such a small group.

The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Thanks for this post chen! I'm glad, that I ordered, even so I struggle a little bit with the size of the device . This post showed once more, that I made the right decision.

Can we make that post sticky?
Maybe if Dave can read it everytime before he posts, all this bitter and accusations will have an end. Maybe he can see that these are more destructive, than in any way helpful.
Even so I doubt, it's worth a try - hope dies at last.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit