Hey guys....

I recently bought an N810 and wanted to get it online using my cell phone (a Sony Ericsson w580i), using AT&T's "Data Unlimited" plan for regular cell phones (only costs $15 a month, not for internet sharing or smartphones).

My problem is, google searches dont really give me any good info on whether or not using bluetooth DUN with my w580i and my n810 is somehow trackable/chargeable by AT&T. Does anyone know?

I'm just going to be using the n810 to get email/browse news websites during my commute to work... so I doubt i'll be using much data... but does anyone know if AT&T will somehow be able to detect that I'm dialing into the bluetooth network from the n810?

And if they can, is there any way around this?

Thank guys.....

I do this currently with the same plan. You'll be OK unless you really hit on the bandwidth. You'd be better off if you use an RSS reader and pre-load your reading before hitting the road. The news sites have way too many pictures and flash animations that can result in high bandwidth usage. On your bill you'll see how much bandwidth you're using. expressed in KB. I was shocked when I first saw my bill and didn't realize the scale.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
They can detec itt, but I have never been charged in 2 years of heavy data usage on the same $15 plan you are on. An example is tethering to stream internet radio for hours at a time, youtube usage etc.

Go ahead and tether but know it is against their TOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
nice, thanks for the quick replies....

i really doubt i'd even need an RSS reader for the headlines (to cut down usage) because i'd be doing some insanely light browsing... really, just a few headlines... i might even browse w/o images/flash enabled when im on my phone....

Pfft. With AT&T, pretty much anything that doesn't involve you handing them large sums of money is against their TOS. They're one of the biggest "Screw the customer until they bleed, then screw them some more" cell providers out there. *rolls eyes*

hah, you're right... so I'm figuring i'll screw em right back with my w580i + N810 combo does 10x than an iphone can, at a fraction of the monthly price

just as long as they dont find out about my DUN usage that is

I'm going to be reading about you in the news, aren't I?

Okay I think they skimmed over the part where you asked if the n810's bandwidth usage counted towards your cap. It does. Look think of the phone as a router+modem for the n810. All the data goes through the phone and is thus charged towards whatever limitations your plan has (assuming you have USA AT&T there is 5GB/month cap). None of the US cell carriers have unlimited data usage, AT&T started the 5gb cap ******** and then got FCC to impose that arbitrary limit.

I think the Nokia phone wizard has a built-in bandwidth usage monitor, but I could be mistaken.

and yeah they want to charge additional money to allow tethering...*******s -_-. But don't worry my friend tethers to his laptop and they haven't mentioned anything. Just don't torrent or anything and avoid flash videos (~30mb per youtube video on average) or that 5gigs will catch up to you very quickly.