Active Topics

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I haven't been able to locate a solution. I want to make it so that when you open a video file, it opens mplayer instead of the standard video player that comes with the 770.

I've found a great way to watch movies on my 770. I set up a web server on my desktop machine and then I host my movies from that. I'm using apache2 on Ubuntu, and it seems to stream my movies just fine. Now, if only I could get my 770 to invoke mplayer when I click on a link in my browser, it would eliminate my having to type in the URL by hand into the mplayer launcher.

Anybody know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Makurosu For This Useful Post:
In case anyone is interested, I found another way to stream my movies to my 770. I'm fairly new to Linux in general, so please bear with me. I used sshfs to mount my Movies folder on my desktop machine to a "Movies" folder in MyDocs. Then I just open that using GMPlauncher. Pretty slick. I've specially encoded my movies for this purpose using Media Converter program.

I also mounted a Shared folder that I can use to move files back and forth. That's going to be extremely useful, though I suppose I could also just ssh to my Nokia and do it that way. But it's nice to be able to open files from any application on my Nokia and save space on my flash card.

I'm mounting these remote folders using DynDNS address to my home computer. That way I can access my files from anywhere with wifi. *wrings hands with evil glee*

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&postcount=84

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
I tried it once after haveing installed latest firmware but seems not to work for me (tough it worked in the past with previous releases). Did you try it with the latest "Skype" firmware?

Just to understand if it was my fault in editing runmplayer etc. ir if it is a firmware issue...

Thank you! That worked. I had to remove "-vo x11 -ao sd1" though. The video switch made the picture jerky and the audio switch caused a loud, scary staticky sound. Also, the -fs switch was unnecessary.

This seems to work better than my sshfs solution, which caused the picture to jerk about every second or two. Also, I can't do ssh connections from the wifi at the library. Damn them.

Okay, I'm going to go watch Heroes on my Nokia.

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
I tried it once after haveing installed latest firmware but seems not to work for me (tough it worked in the past with previous releases). Did you try it with the latest "Skype" firmware?

Just to understand if it was my fault in editing runmplayer etc. ir if it is a firmware issue...
I had to do some fiddling with it. Opera wants to overwrite the opera.ini file, and I rebooted along the way, so that might have helped. My Nokia 770 is new, so I'm assuming I have the latest firmware. Good luck.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Makurosu View Post
I had to do some fiddling with it. Opera wants to overwrite the opera.ini file, and I rebooted along the way, so that might have helped. My Nokia 770 is new, so I'm assuming I have the latest firmware. Good luck.
Oh! I have an N800 we're talking about different platforms...

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
I had no luck getting that to work on the 770 with 2007HE installed. Regardless of what I did to the opera.ini file, it would just ignore me and open with Media Player.

I edited files in /usr/share/applications/hildon, specifically mpui.desktop and mplayer.desktop (and created a new one called 'runmplayer.desktop'). After that, I ran update-desktop-database as root and rebooted. It would try to open them with mplayer, even showing a little popup saying 'RunMplayer loading...' but nothing would ever happen. I gave up after a few hours. Sure would be cool if someone knew exactly how to change mime types on this thing.

As a workaround i wrote a utility called splicer which lets you dyamically pick any file to run against any program.. not quite the same as official support but you can run against variety of different programs (instead of single association)

deb installer here at bottom of thread (requires python 2.5) :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=9024

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
Very cool! Although what I was shooting for was to be able to click links in the browser and have them actually open and play...