Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick question...

Hmm... I would gladly get you one (not my own, though ;-) ). Maybe, this one?

Any news? I have read Milestone One; and I see GitHub is alive.

Would you consider using GNUstep as GUI, with time?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
Unfortunately winocm has had to shift her focus away from this project to work on other things (apple internship, school, misc. research) and she has put me and a few others in charge to maintain the project.

So far since that last milestone update a few things have changed. The most notable changes include proper support for UNIX signals (using signal trampoline) and improved thread handling (support for more thread states, ect). I'm planning to eventually fix kxld so kernel extensions will be able to be dynamically loaded so we won't need to muck around with building kernelcaches. Unfortunately because of school I won't be able to investigate this anytime soon. Perhaps if I don't have too much work over spring break I can try to get that hammered out.

Btw, updated information on building a bootable image can be found here. (warning: this wiki is a work-in-progress and is incomplete - I'm still investigating a more organized way of compiling device trees).

Once we've overcome the problem with kernel extensions, eliminate some remaining deadlock problems, and perhaps investigate ways to make pmap a little more optimized, then we can worry about a GUI.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2015-01-19 at 04:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, I for one second Wikiwide's willingness to contribute money to get one (or more) of you an N900. Personally, I'd rather see people reversing N900 components so that we can get a purely-libre build of Maemo 5 someday, while this iOS stuff project interests me only as a very low priority, BUT, I think there's a LOT of merit in principle in such a project succeeding.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Well, I for one second Wikiwide's willingness to contribute money to get one (or more) of you an N900. Personally, I'd rather see people reversing N900 components so that we can get a purely-libre build of Maemo 5 someday, while this iOS stuff project interests me only as a very low priority, BUT, I think there's a LOT of merit in principle in such a project succeeding.
I appreciate the generosity and I may take you guys up on that offer. I once had an N900, but sadly it gave up the ghost this past summer (LCD cable was failing and then an internal failure happened on the PCB that rendered it a brick). Keep in mind however that if you guys do send me one, it will likely be a bit of time before I get enough free time to do anything with it pertaining to this project or to maemo. This semester is a fairly critical one and I need time to focus on my studies.

I'll also add that if anyone is interested in participating in this project the help would be greatly appreciated. Despite winocm appointing me and a few others to maintain this project, I've pretty much been the only person doing any work on this project since September of last year (and I'm not giving up! ). The next major endeavor that will need to be taken will be to arrange the source code for userspace components in such a way that those components can be built with Make (instead of Xcode). If I can get extra help we should be able to get this done within a reasonable amount of time, however if I end up doing this alone it will likely take a good chunk of next summer to complete.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oenthaa View Post
I read this post , but I always fail to boot . what is wrong ? I use ubuntu 14 64bit .
Those instructions are obsolete - An updated set of instructions can be found here. However unfortunately those instructions are still a work-in-progress. I'll PM you a device tree that you will need to use when following those instructions tomorrow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Hmm... I would gladly get you one (not my own, though ;-) ). Maybe, this one?
Wow, Wikiwide, you are a hero! I would not (cannot) go as far as donating a whole N900, but I would be happy to contribute 20 GBP to your cause for every donated device. Please PM me with/for details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Proposal to council/board?:

set-up a separate bank account so that people can transfer money (as a pure donation) to it. This will be used for funding/donating to interesting projects. Perhaps people/projects can nominate themselves or be nominated by others, and every 3 months a poll is made (within the community) to decide which projects get how much.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
But... but... but... reinob, you ARE (on) the council!

Name:  You.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  18.1 KB

YOU can make it happen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But... but... but... reinob, you ARE (on) the council!

Attachment 36418

YOU can make it happen!
No I'm not!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
No?????? How could that happen?
Well, that illustrates how much in touch with TMO politics I am. Good job I did not get elected

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No?????? How could that happen?
Well, that illustrates how much in touch with TMO politics I am. Good job I did not get elected
Indeed, both of you would have been excellent councillors IMHO.
SO welcome to #maemo-meeting today at 21:00UTC to present the idea to the council.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
darwin, nokia n900