Active Topics

Hi, I wonder whether it might be worthwhile to replace the 770. Is the N800 way better than the 770? Any recommendations?

I'm quite happy with the 770 and I would only purchase the N800 if there are a lot of improvements.

you should read the posts throughout these forums. there has been a lot of discussion on the 770 vs 800, likes, dislikes, comparisons.

For new internet tablet users it is definitely the best choice.

For 770 users who have grown accustomed to the way it works, and have a problem-free model, it is a very mixed bag.
There are improvements (CPU, memory, card slots) and there are drawbacks (no cover for mobility, "always-on" and battery life, immature OS). I for one have not upgraded yet.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Is the battery life worse on the N800 compared to the 770?

Originally Posted by tabletfan View Post
Is the battery life worse on the N800 compared to the 770?
In a way, the answer is yes. Well, I have no direct way of comparison of the n800 and the 770 , but from my brief usage of 770, I'll have to say the battery life is somewhat similar(if n800 is carefully handle). but the problem is the 770 have the hard cover which put it to sleep whenever the the cover is on automatically, but the n800 don't. As you can see, your behavior is what save the battery life on the 770, while n800 you have to lock the screen and "wait" for it to go sleep. if you touch the screen or hit any button after it lock but didn't go to sleep yet, the countdown to sleep kinda start all over again. The 770 simplify that step for you. Which remind me, who is the id!ot in Nokia decide to take this feature out in the N800. So, if you can put that extra steps on the n800 on every after usage, then I'll say the battery life is indistinguishable.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
In a way, the answer is yes. Well, I have no direct way of comparison of the n800 and the 770 , but from my brief usage of 770, I'll have to say the battery life is somewhat similar(if n800 is carefully handle). but the problem is the 770 have the hard cover which put it to sleep whenever the the cover is on automatically, but the n800 don't. As you can see, your behavior is what save the battery life on the 770, while n800 you have to lock the screen and "wait" for it to go sleep. if you touch the screen or hit any button after it lock but didn't go to sleep yet, the countdown to sleep kinda start all over again. The 770 simplify that step for you. Which remind me, who is the id!ot in Nokia decide to take this feature out in the N800. So, if you can put that extra steps on the n800 on every after usage, then I'll say the battery life is indistinguishable.
It's been about a week since I've set the long keypress on the power button to invoke "softpoweroff" and I can say that not only I got used to it pretty quickly, but even that this procedure makes powering down the N800 as easy as putting the cover on my 770.

I'm still missing the screen protection the 770 cover gave me of course, but powerwise I'm good.

I set mine into offline mode (no need for it to stay linked all the time since relink is so quick) then I lock the screen.. whats this long keypress softpoweroff thing?

Ah, I found it. Unfortunatly I don't have a bluetooth keyboard yet so I can't edit the file via vi since I have no esc key on the virtual keyboards

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Ah, I found it. Unfortunatly I don't have a bluetooth keyboard yet so I can't edit the file via vi since I have no esc key on the virtual keyboards
install dropbear server, change the passwd for user and root, and then ssh in to the device from your pc. change your files happily with a real keyboard.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
or use the hardware escape Thats the one immediatly below the 'down' key.