Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
Tar "said" there were files from date 01.01.1970. I don't know if tar just stopped copying then, or if this was just a warning. Booting works, but perhaps some files are not copied, after all?
That's just warning, everything was copied.

Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
Second subject... I can't connect via usb and got the message "[..] unable to connect via usb[..] Memory cards in use: internal memory card". Somehow it's logical, cause my ext2 partition is used as rootfs by the system and can't be unmountend due to the usb connection process. But what's with my first fat32 partition on the card? It doesn't show up on my PC Only the 128mb nokia card in external slot can be accessed from PC.
Any ideas, how to solve this?
Hmm, yes. I still don't have dualboot on N800 since I also bought card which currently doesn't work but I've read about something related. Check maemo mailing lists. Someone had opposite problem when booted from flash. He noticed that if he mounts ext2 partiton from mmc card and attaches USB it is unmounted too together with first FAT one. Looks like IT2007 tries to unmount all partitions on the card and probably if it fails, usb storage doesn't work. Someone pointed him to the script that does the unmounting. It needs to be modified to either skip ex2 partition used for booting or changed back to unmount just the FAT one as it was in IT2006.

Thanks fanoush, I will check out maemo and have a look on the system to find this script. I have hope, again
I also hope that your card arrives soon...I do fear buggy cards, right now....

found today when searching for something else
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-use...ry/003431.html

I have been booting from my MMC on my 770 for a long time now. But the question arises for me now that I'm about to receive my N800 with its two card slots: Will I have the option to boot from either of the card slot locations, or am I restricted to the internal one? And carrying this query a bit further: can I boot from both? The basis of this last query is whether there is the possiblity of having separate operating systems employing different window mangagers, one on each of the memory cards and opting which one to load with a further hacked opening menu (similar to what is possible with Grub)?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I have been booting from my MMC on my 770 for a long time now. But the question arises for me now that I'm about to receive my N800 with its two card slots: Will I have the option to boot from either of the card slot locations, or am I restricted to the internal one? And carrying this query a bit further: can I boot from both? The basis of this last query is whether there is the possiblity of having separate operating systems employing different window mangagers, one on each of the memory cards and opting which one to load with a further hacked opening menu (similar to what is possible with Grub)?
Booting from a different slot is just a matter of specifying a different device in the bootmenu config file. You can boot from whatever slot/partition you like.

Larry

Larry: Thanks for your quick response, which is both interesting and reassuring. But now (naturally) I have a few follow-up questions.

1) Regarding modifying the bootmenu.config file, I've gone into my "bootmenu.sh" file in my "initfs_flasher" directory on my 770 (both in flash and mmc) and as an experiement commented-out menu items which I thought superfluous. However, when rebooting, the initial menu came up with the same original selections. My commented-out "deletions" hadn't apparently taken hold.

2) In following Fanoush's current wiki on booting from the mmc, how do I designate which of the two N800 card slots I want to act upon in that particular execution of his hack? Once I've gotten operating systems on cards in both slots, then it's my understanding from what you say that I can then appropriately add them to the bootmenu config file (which I today have not been able to modify successfully on my 770). Thanks and regards, Jim

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Larry: Thanks for your quick response, which is both interesting and reassuring. But now (naturally) I have a few follow-up questions.

1) Regarding modifying the bootmenu.config file, I've gone into my "bootmenu.sh" file in my "initfs_flasher" directory on my 770 (both in flash and mmc) and as an experiement commented-out menu items which I thought superfluous. However, when rebooting, the initial menu came up with the same original selections. My commented-out "deletions" hadn't apparently taken hold.
Make sure you have the latest version of the bootmenu and only edit the bootmenu.config. Previously you only edited the script itself which was a little risky since you could potentially create an error in the script, stopping everything from booting.

2) In following Fanoush's current wiki on booting from the mmc, how do I designate which of the two N800 card slots I want to act upon in that particular execution of his hack? Once I've gotten operating systems on cards in both slots, then it's my understanding from what you say that I can then appropriately add them to the bootmenu config file (which I today have not been able to modify successfully on my 770). Thanks and regards, Jim
It's just a matter of specifying whichever mounted partition you want as the destination. You'll need to manually mount the partition of course, but then you use that directory you mounted to as the destination for the rsync or tar command (preferably using GNU tar since fonts get garbled in Opera otherwise). Hope this makes sense as I haven't checked the wiki in a while.

Larry

Larry, on your answer to my question 1), I believe that I do have the latest version of the bootmenu. Where do I find the bootmenu.config if the bootmenu.sh was not the one I should have been modifying? On my question 2), on further thought I believe that it's not relevant which memory card slot I designate in copying/installing the flash operating system onto a card as I can perform the operation in whichever card slot Fanoush's wiki affects and then when I've installed on two cards using the same slot, I can then put one of the cards into the other slot and modify the bootmenu to give me the choice of either to boot from. Is this clear, and correct? Thanks again, Jim

Well, try to download recent version of the flasher, there is README and example configurations, that may answer your questions.

Now you can have optional bootmenu.conf along with bootmenu.sh. Real versions which are used while booting reside in /mnt/initfs. Either you can create it in flasher directory and reflash or edit directly in /mnt/initfs (which may produce disk full errors on N770 if you do it multiple times, check the README)

Fanoush: As I only a few days ago downloaded and am using your latest flasher, and the README and sample bootmenu files are there,I'm satisfied that I'm OK in that regard. Also, now that you've pointed me to the directory where the bootmenu.conf file resides -- I couldn't locate it -- as opposed to the bootmenu.sh file, I think I will opt to go the route of modifying that rather than reflashing. This is anyway only experimentation on my 770 until my N800 arrives. Thanks and best regards, Jim