Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Nice deal for those who have a lot of international friends!!

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/sub...uscanadaworld/

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
I'm going to Japan in a few weeks. I need to know if Gizmo has anything like this or alternately can skype be configured with the grandcentral dialer. I've really neglected voip on my tablet.

Gizmo can make calls but you need to pay for credit. But it can call other sipphone service accounts for free (For example as you've noted Grand Central for calls in the USA).

However, Skype cannot be configured with grandcentral, it is closed vs open. I personally have both (Skype to call outside the USA, and Grand Central+Gizmo to call USA and Canada #s).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by cashless View Post
I'm going to Japan in a few weeks. I need to know if Gizmo has anything like this or alternately can skype be configured with the grandcentral dialer. I've really neglected voip on my tablet.
If you have unlimited incoming on skype then you can add it as a phone in GC and use the GC dialer to make free outgoing calls with skype. I don't know how bad the latency would be since that's two or three translation layers, but it should work.

YMMV, I've never done it myself.

EDIT: GC can use skype if you have skype-in

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Ah, I forgot about Skype-In. Sorry, I only use Skype-out.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I travel all around the world with work and just got my tablet. Would this plan on skype work for calling from other countries to users in america (cell phones or PC)? Or does skype only work in the usa for calling to other countries? Thanks for any info

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post
I travel all around the world with work and just got my tablet. Would this plan on skype work for calling from other countries to users in america (cell phones or PC)? Or does skype only work in the usa for calling to other countries? Thanks for any info
With skype, gizmo, or most other voip providers only the destination matters. So it really doesn't matter if you are traveling or in your backyard as long as you have a solid, low latency connection any should work. So the unlimited international calling would not be of interest to you, a traditional skype/gizmo/voip account will keep you in touch with american phone lines.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Skype will work everywhere as long as you have an internet connection.

edit: beaten and with more useful info

Last edited by mobiledivide; 2008-04-22 at 02:26.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have the unlimited US calling for 30$/year plan. I used it well when i was in the us.....but recently i went to india and tried to call us numbers via internet in india and it did not work. So u guys better ask before u take the jump.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I have the unlimited US calling for 30$/year plan. I used it well when i was in the us.....but recently i went to india and tried to call us numbers via internet in india and it did not work. So u guys better ask before u take the jump.
Then the ISP is blocking it. It should work anywhere with a good connection.