Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Or maybe we need a customized keyboard for each app. No slash button in the web browser? COME ON! That's very annoying.
Mine has a "/" key. It's in both the onscreen keyboard and thumboard.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
In my opinion the lower case set should be web-centric. That means the colon and other typical characters need to be there. Language switching IMO should be part of the menu, not the key set.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In my opinion the lower case set should be web-centric. That means the colon and other typical characters need to be there. Language switching IMO should be part of the menu, not the key set.
Is pressing and holding the upper case key (Up Arrow) to switch to permanent upper-case (Caps Lock) and lower-case so difficult to get used to, I am missing something... i.e. what exactly have we lost?

In the case of virtual keyboards on N800 and N810 the soft keyboard clearly indicates a new use for the old (Caps Lock) Key and clearly indicates temp/permanent upper-case on the (Up Arrow) Key.

Oh well as has already been said very difficult to please everyone. I believe they had similar problems when they went from black and white to colour televisions

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
we should get tha ability to choose what type of keybord we want when we startup the Tablet for the first time (like the time/date and "what phone to connect" menu)
no?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following User Says Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Is pressing and holding the upper case key (Up Arrow) to switch to permanent upper-case (Caps Lock) and lower-case so difficult to get used to, I am missing something... i.e. what exactly have we lost?

In the case of virtual keyboards on N800 and N810 the soft keyboard clearly indicates a new use for the old (Caps Lock) Key and clearly indicates temp/permanent upper-case on the (Up Arrow) Key.

Oh well as has already been said very difficult to please everyone. I believe they had similar problems when they went from black and white to colour televisions
I'm not saying anything was "lost". I do believe the current mode is more confusing and less obvious, but that can be overcome.

Part of my complaint with the caps key is in the vein of expected functionality. Users expect configuration to be a menu item, not a keyboard press. Configuration is not typically a commonly accessed item, either, at least for the majority. Therefore it makes more sense IMO to use the keyboard for common key functions and leave configurations to the menu. However, that doesn't mean I necessarily think the new mysterious (clearly indicated??? where???) "En" button needs to go back to being a CAPS lock-- again, people can get used to that sort of change. Rather, perhaps it could be used for one of the web-centric keys that, again IMO, should be more readily accessible while in lower case mode.

Which leads to the gripe you quoted. Lower case constitutes the norm in internet and email addresses. Just as the @ character was made standard on the lowercase keyset (in contrast to QWERTY convention), so should other characters consistently used in such cases... such as the colon.

You are correct that no implentation will please everyone, but it is just good UI practice to design for the norm. In 20+ years of design and programming that has always been my approach (no, that is not meant as an appeal to authority ).

Finally, while I'm sure you were being facetious with your TV analogy, I can't possibly equate the two...

Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
we should get tha ability to choose what type of keybord we want when we startup the Tablet for the first time (like the time/date and "what phone to connect" menu)
no?
Agreed. Same for Locale IMO. But so far I've been shot down when suggesting such things...

EDIT: related bug at maemo--

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2663

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-01-09 at 20:00.

But so far I've been shot down when suggesting such things...
LOL! That's why I love these forums, people are so passionate!

Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
LOL! That's why I love these forums, people are so passionate!
Actually I meant by tablet program folks.

However, that doesn't mean I necessarily think the new mysterious (clearly indicated??? where???) "En" button needs to go back to being a CAPS lock-- again, people can get used to that sort of change. Rather, perhaps it could be used for one of the web-centric keys that, again IMO, should be more readily accessible while in lower case mode.
When I stated that "en" is clearly indicated I personally was referring to the on screen stylus keyboard. (Which has been the main way for me to enter text on the move with my Nokia 770 and then N800)

With the latest OS2008 I am able to set a 1st & 2nd language choice and the beauty of the en key is that I can seamlessly switch language mid sentence "en English to es Spanish" for example and the predictive spell check changes at the same time. (now having an indication on the stylus keyboard of the language & spell setting seems of overall benefit in my eyes)

Not only that but the predictive speller will always offer similar words in 1st and second languages. (When set up via relevant control panel option)

Where else is the "caps key vs en" present as for example it's not on the physical keyboard of the new N810?

With regard to the web centric keys, I quick switch of shift or hold shift for Shiftlock = Caps lock seems to provide all we need which is why I stated what is actually missing. (On any of the three input methods, with the N810)

Now onto which particular webcentric key should replace the Caps lock or Language hmmm, which gets most typical daily use hmmm when you stop to think about it actually quite a few of them

Perhaps another option would to actually have additional function keys on stylus keyboard which can be preset by the user and then have an personal indication on the key based on user preference. Just some thoughts....

Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Where else is the "caps key vs en" present as for example it's not on the physical keyboard of the new N810?
I don't understand the question.

As to my comments vis-a-vis webcentric character choices, I continue to believe that the default should be all standard web and email address characters available with the lower case set. For reasoning I use the same logic you do around the "En" key: convenience.

Texrat, I was attempting to provide considered reasoning around why Nokia may have decided to discard the caps lock (Adding a uppercase lock facility to the upper case key in its place)

I believe the Caps key was only ever provided with the stylus Keyboard, but of course I could be wrong.

I am not aware of other threads on the subject of a quick switch of the keyboard language and potential benefits so thought this information worth including for the user community and as an aid to a balanced discussion.