Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Wow...that's a good news.
Should we discuss it a bit ?

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2008/01/trolltech-good.html

and

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1185531

I think we'll "soon" see both GTK and QT living together ?
Or it's something they're planning for a future device ?

What do you guys think ?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I think we'll "soon" see both GTK and QT living together ?
QT and GTK already live together. I can't remember the last time I have had any problems running QT apps in a Gnome environment or vice versa.

A few years ago, the leaders of both projects woke up to the fact that a raising tide lifts all boats and more compatibility in Linux desktop environments would make them more popular and help both projects. They were just wasting effort and shooting themselves in the foot by slinging mud at each other.

The Internet tablet likely has room for both QT and GTK libraries so hopefully this predicts future ease in porting KDE apps into the maemo environment without having to install the entire KDM.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
QT and GTK already live together. I can't remember the last time I have had any problems running QT apps in a Gnome environment or vice versa.
I meant a more integrated "living together".
Like having a common Hildon frontend to the user (i.e. either Qt applications and GTK ones, looking similar).
That would mean more resources, but I think it'll be accepted for a transitional period.
I think Maemo's going to switch to QT in the long term.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
A few years ago, the leaders of both projects woke up to the fact that a raising tide lifts all boats and more compatibility in Linux desktop environments would make them more popular and help both projects. They were just wasting effort and shooting themselves in the foot by slinging mud at each other.

The Internet tablet likely has room for both QT and GTK libraries so hopefully this predicts future ease in porting KDE apps into the maemo environment without having to install the entire KDM.
Exactly.
Okay, so it looks like good news for us.
As long as Nokia's Trolltech remains on the same open source path it has been so far.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I think they are more interested by the Mobile OS nammed : "Qtopia Phone Edition" for their phones.

"I think Maemo's going to switch to QT in the long term." Oh no ! Please not that !

I too was thinking about QTopia and trying not to relate Nokia's acquisition with Maemo. But Ari's speaking here.
So a link has to be found.
What about a WiMax enabled tablet with Qtopia on it ?

I don't think they will just leave their current GTK stuff behind. Perhaps we'll get qt4 libs for Maemo(with OSK and all that).

i'm afraid nokia is control freak, so once they control qt, they will abandon gtk (and gnome). of course, this will not happen overnight.

if nokia's internet tablets are successful enough, they will probably try to port maemo to qt. from businessman point of view, supporting two frameworks (one being controlled) is not reasonable (unfortunately).

as for running gtk and qt simultaneously. while possible, i think for such restricted device as n800, it would be very inefficient.

one more point. they intend to use qt across many (all?) platforms, so qt will be definately in future internet tablets.

hyartep, where did you get all this info from? Certainly from the press releases that I have read I can not infer half of the things that you have written to be the truth.

Very interesting news. I have great expectations for OS2009