Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The Ubuntu CD option is also a good choice (that's what I used).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thanks Texrat.
I'll actually download Ubuntu Desktop iso. Downloading directly from a UK based server so it should be done in about an hour

So I did some surfing and came across what I need to do:

. Burn ISO as bootable DVD
. Bootup Ubuntu at CMOS
. Load Xterm
. Type 'cd /mnt/chosen harddrive'
. Type 'ls'
. Type "--set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset"
. Insert N800 via USB make sure it can switch on
. Then "--clear-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset" to turn the flag off.

and if that previous line doesn't work to clear flag then try:
"./flasher-3.0 --disable-rd-mode" then check with "./flasher-3.0 --query-rd-mode"

Is this all correct or have I missed something out :S

Report:

Well after burning Ubuntu to CD I loaded it up, but I cannot see my partitions anywhere, I had one that had Windows on and one with my storage files on.

All I could see was in /dev/disk/hda/1/2/3/4/5 etc but it says it doesn't know what to open it with.

and now when I restarted and took the boot CD out I cannot boot Vista anymore , the screen just goes blank after it loads the load bar.

Not only have i got a dead n800 but messed up my laptop aswell

Any ideas on how I can solve this.

Im having to download the flasher and new firmware to desktop on the linux CD but I think I need to enable USB host first and to become root.

But in the instructions it states an icon would appear on the desktop, but all there is on the desktop is "examples" a dir of example filetypes and "install" to install the OS on the HDD. and the only partition it shows me is "filesystem" and there is nothing in the mnt directory.

so how can I mount a hardrive which is not there

please help!

Well i managed to fix it by using my dads laptop and upgrading the firmware. Although now i need to figure out how to fix my laptop