Digittante here (originator of the original "Has your N900 shipped today?" thread).

Gotta say I'm delighted folks have so much energy & enthusiasm for this device. I've lost track of how many shipping threads have emerged (let alone the thousands of posts on them).

Be sure to check out TnkGrl's latest videos on the device from her podcast and last week's N900 Meetup in San Francisco in which some Fennec team members demo Firefox Mobile on the device.

With the ship-date getting closer (BLT inventory reports stock availability tomorrow), I'm curious:

How will you use the N900?

What user scenarios, device-replacements, or dev work do you anticipate undertaking once the N900 is in your hands?

For me, I currently use two devices: a T-Mobile Dash (running WinMo 6.5) and a Zune 80Gig (with a nice pair of Bose cans).

These support constnat email/SMS messaging, Twittering, the occasional phone-cam upload, and media-storage/consumption usage scenarios. I'm hoping to replace both devices with the N900 and add usage scenarios for mobile blogging (via Wordpy), Contacts consolidation (via Hermes), and VOIP calling (Skype). In short, spend more time online, but less time at my desk....;-)

What 'r y'all hoping to do with your shiny new N900s?

Last edited by digittante; 2009-11-02 at 23:23.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Seattle, WA
I'd probably use it for a lot of work-related stuff (checking email through Exchange, maybe connecting via VPN and ssh'ing into my server boxes, etc.) I'd also use it quite a bit for surfing the internets, playing Linux games, probably play around with VoIP, and also play around with the social media features on the device as well.

But really, I'm really looking forward to using it as a mobile Linux computer; I'll probably end up doing everything I'm using my computer for right now and just do the same thing on the N900.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
Hmm, thought I heard this topic before, here's alot of people's answers: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32237

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
If the battery is as good as claimed I am hoping to be able to use it for AIM, Yahoo and MSN so I no longer have to remember to click online/offline all the time when I leave the house or lock my PC. Instead I keep the N900 nearby and people can always contact me without the risk of my reply coming hours later.

It should also be a lot easier to quickly look something up and reply to messages while watching TV.

Other than that, making phone calls of course and checking prices when out of the house.

I may still take my iTouch out with me though for the exclusive Apps/Games on that but I am hoping to be able to use my N900 as a MiFi for that, so I get the best of both worlds.

Would be cool if someone wrote a Python app for the N900 that SCPs into the iTouch (jailbroken) and can synchronise the music library between the two devices. Would mean I could buy tracks/videos off iTunes and have them copied over the N900 more easily. I already have copied the file structure over to Linux before and mplayer can play the files fine without any extra decoding necessary.

In the bathroom while not working.

The Following User Says Thank You to maven1975 For This Useful Post:
I will use it while I work! Streaming movies and music, OSM!

I’ll use it first has a phone, then for music, internet, chat and games.
I really need GPS too. I hope nokia speeds up with the development of ovi maps 3.
In preference for free. Now that google offered their turn by turn navigation for free nokia needs to play the same game (advertising).

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
... as a replacement for my 800x480 netbook that just died. (Everex Coudbook). Hard to believe that it'll have the same resolution that I'm already used to using on a much larger device. This will primarily be a portable computer for me... not a cell phone.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by God View Post
I'll use it to do everything, that's what it's for, right...?
How did you create heaven and earth without it?

I hope to use it for getting unlost, finding local POIs, a reference library, a music player, a scripture reader, a communicator, and a journal editor while on bike tours, and as a replacement for my current dumb phone and Zaurus the rest of the time. It's unclear now how good it will be for the first couple use cases, to my disappointment. How the map app situation shapes up in the next month will probably determine whether i get one.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hello newbies.

Kindly use the search feature, before starting a new thread or contributing to a rogue thread. Please

Thank you very much
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: