Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by almaviva View Post
So I entered "dmesg | tail", inserted the 128GB card and entered "dmesg". Attached you will find the result.
By filtering for MMC1 from your file ("grep mmc1 Putty*.txt") :
Code:
[    0.580535] mmc1: no vqmmc regulator found
[    0.580557] mmc1: no vmmc regulator found
[    0.580736] mmc1: SDHCI controller on 7864900.sdhci [7864900.sdhci] using 32-bit ADMA in legacy mode
[    1.352682] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[    2.092511] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[    2.830979] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[    3.572068] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[    4.322034] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[    4.361204] mmc1: mmc_sd_init_card() failure (err = -5)
[    4.361220] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 0
[  405.423724] mmc1: slot status change detected (1 -> 0), GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH
[  488.350469] mmc1: slot status change detected (0 -> 1), GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH
[  489.329182] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  490.106198] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  490.884812] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  491.670424] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  492.486461] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  492.559390] mmc1: mmc_sd_init_card() failure (err = -5)
[  492.559448] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  493.521780] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  493.575374] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  494.511293] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  494.562771] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  495.526584] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  496.318279] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  497.152467] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  497.939055] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  498.724335] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  498.799856] mmc1: mmc_sd_init_card() failure (err = -5)
[  498.799915] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 0
[  507.305925] mmc1: slot status change detected (1 -> 0), GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH
[  642.653243] mmc1: slot status change detected (0 -> 1), GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH
[  643.584456] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  643.636029] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  644.375303] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  645.129528] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  645.928507] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  645.975068] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  646.739967] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  646.815429] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  647.724421] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  648.506350] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
[  648.555812] mmc1: error -5 whilst initialising SD card: rescan: 1
[  649.312861] mmc1: sdhci_msm_execute_tuning: no tuning point found
You Xperia detects the slot holder manipulation "slot status change detected", but then absolutely NOTHING happens.

This is obvious if you compare with my report.

At this point it is clear, the 128GB card is not seen at all by the Xperia.

I very much appreciate the help of the community. But because I'm drowning in work this will be my last post for the next days - but I am eagerly watching the search for a solution... Thank you all!
Good luck with your work ! (And who knows, maybe by the time you're free again, some solution would have popped-up, or an update would have fixed everything).

I definitely can rule out a mechanical problem:
{...}
2. Before flashing Sailfish on my Xperia X, I used Android (without Google) for several weeks - and my 128gb microsd card worked perfectly on Android.
3. Yesterday I flashed Sailfish to a second Xperia X for a family member. Both phones are identical Xperia X, bought brand new and sealed from Amazon Italy. Of course I tested my 128GB microsd: It worked perfectly on Android before flashing, and it wasn't recognized by Sailfish after flashing.
I was more thinking of some on/off mechanical problem, like this card being a few mu-meters thinner or thicker beyond the official specs and thus the slot holder not always making perfect contact.

But the fact that systematically on several phone, Android (which I imagine up-to-date, as required by the Sailfish X upgrade) manage to see card, and then Sailfish X after the update suddenly is unable to see it, makes me think of some firmware or kernel bug :

The Android you have right before installation (34.3.A.0.228 or .238) is the latest Android Nougat 7.1.1 with the latest kernel at that moment (3.10.108 or something along this line) and the corresponding firmware is also that recent and up-to-date.

(NOTE: on Qualcomm chip, the baseband firmware play an important role, because the modem is part of the main chipset and is in charge of several low-level functions - which might include the SD cards, and which might even include RAM. There goes all your hope of privacy out of the window.)

Sailfish X uses a slightly older version of the kernel : 3.10.84, and the various binary firmware (the thing that you must download from Sony's web site during the Sailfish X installation) come too from the slightly older Android 6.0.1 Mashmallow.

It might be that either this kernel or one of the various binary firmwares is broken and somehow fails to initialise some uSDHC cards under some weird circumstance.

GOOD NEWS: ... if that's the case, that's some good news. It simply means that you have to wait until Jolla releases an update of Sailfish X that uses the slightly newer kernel and firmware that your Xperia X had right before the upgrade.
Or even better the upcoming kernel 4.4 that Sony is preparing as part of their Android 8.0 Oreo efforts.

(Which by itself is quite awesome : unlike Jolla 1, where Jolla Oy was basically alone and doesn't have the devs ressources / the influence to get an upgraded Kit-kat ready kernel+drivers set from Qualcomm (see threads on TJC),
in this case Sony has definitely all the necessary might and developers workforce to pull a kernel 4.4 - and are currently in the process of doing it)

Originally Posted by pacman View Post
but on standard linux distros the thing that I use to start to diagnose this kind of problem is the dmesg command. It outputs kernel messages. Try:

Code:
dmesg | tail
just before and after inserting the card, and see if there is any sign of the kernel reacting.
Some general info :
"dmesg" is the old style command that has been available since ages.
"journalctl" is the systemd-specific modern equivalent (dmesg pulls from the same database).

Originally Posted by pasik View Post
Camera picture quality is far away from original Sony camera app.
... because all that quality is due to advanced proprietary post-processing done in software. That is the thing that is protected by the DRM keys stored in the TA.
(Which means that, once we have a solution to run at least Android 6.0 apps, we could in theory install Sony's App, the DRM keys that you backed up and enjoy the high quality post-processing)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
This is the same error that other users are reporting over at TJC: https://together.jolla.com/question/...-not-detected/
One of the answes mentions an ask ubuntu post explaining that there are known bugs with some micro-card.

The hypothesis that I mentionned above - that this could be a kernel/firmware problem, given the slight version differences between stock Xperia X and the one provided with Sailfish X - seems thus very likely :

The kernel currently in Sailfish X is probably pre-bug,
the kernel currently in latest Sony's Android is probably post-bug fixing.

All I can recommend right now is that you get in touch with the Jolla customer service (and mention this post or the one on TJC) so they can take a look at this issue.
I second that, opening a ticket on Zendesk would be a good idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
... because all that quality is due to advanced proprietary post-processing done in software.
I think, that the term "post processing" is very often misunderstood here.

Post-processing is: "Using a process to transform photos from what was captured in a camera either to be closer to what our eyes saw, or to alter the image artistically."

So no post-processing technique (either free or proprietary) can bring out the details that are missing in the original (eg blurry) raw image.

The knowledge stored in the "DRM keys" is more a "know-how" how to obtain focus, detect brightness etc and could be taken as a "driver" of the mobile phone camera...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
So far very pleased with what I've got. All Android software that I need is working and it is fast.

I have come upon two bugs:
- Alien Dalvik wants cellular internet, it does not work with WiFi.
- Bluetooth pairing with my Polar V800 to use with Polar Flow (yes it works too) did not work as it wants NFC. It tells me the pin code is 00000 and it thinks we're paired when V800 not.

Hopefully these will be resolved with upcoming updates.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Ok, since yesterday evening I'm also an SailfishX user. All in all I'm satisfied:

The camera is much better than on Jolla1 and C. But still has a lot of reserves. I am using for the moment Open Camera from F-Droid and hope the camera app will get an update more soon than soon™.

Bluetooth is working for me with different devices (haven't tested everyone yet) but makes sometime strange problems like dropouts while playing music, loosing connection for no obvious reasons...

Some apps I love, make some problems:
  • Stellarium SF doesn't start at all (I fear there will be no further work on it. It is untouched since ages)
  • Marble Maps is laggy (Meanwhile there are othe nice apps, so I can live with that.
  • Scrolling inside the internal viewer of Zimpedia is laggy
  • No working compass apps at the moment, that is affecting of course also Poor maps and other Navigation apps.
  • no working torch app means no torch on the lockscreen
  • Launcher combined patch doesn't work
  • Apps for other new sensors are missing.

And I miss double tap to wake. I know there is a workaround, but it costs battery life, so don't want to use that at the moment.

For now that's the negative side. There are many things i really appreciate:
Typing exprerience is muuuuuuch better than on Jolla 1. I'm now able to write longer text without typos. And I get a propper vibration feedback.

Screen is better than on Jolla 1 and Jolla C (which I found anyway worse than Jolla 1)

Android engine seems to be better (more apps work)

and much more...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
  • no working torch app means no torch on the lockscreen
I noticed that too. The app I used previously was Lux by Yuri, hosted on OpenRepos, but it seems that he's removed his account

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=yur...VhAMmAUtKdXZZG

https://openrepos.net/content/yuri/lux

There is a Flashlight shortcut you can add to the Events View, but it's no where near as convenient as Yuri's solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
And I miss double tap to wake. I know there is a workaround, but it costs battery life, so don't want to use that at the moment.
I'm currently testing battery with tap to wake. So far battery down from 100% to 84% in 24 hours. Light use; ~1,5 hours of browsing and terminal use, plus email and calendar sync, Android support disabled.

However it hasn't been in my pocket. If it really uses up more battery, I think it would be because of proximity not working properly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
So far I'm pretty damn happy with Sailfish X. Of course there are some small bugs here and there, but generally this is fantastic.

After looking at the black hole that was called Jolla 1's display, I love that contrast on really deep dark colors and black.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
So far I'm pretty damn happy with Sailfish X. Of course there are some small bugs here and there, but generally this is fantastic.

After looking at the black hole that was called Jolla 1's display, I love that contrast on really deep dark colors and black.
I pretty happy with it too. I just can't get out of my head that Xperia XZ has a little bit better screen and faster hardware

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
I pretty happy with it too. I just can't get out of my head that Xperia XZ has a little bit better screen and faster hardware
I know what you mean plus USB type C with faster charging!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x