Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by tmichel View Post
Hi,

it works just fine. I followed the instructions on TJC for the Jolla tablet if I remember correctly.
so you can use google maps integrated in other apps for instance?

The Following User Says Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
I got my V820W V5 a couple of weeks back but only now have had some time to toy with it.

With the automatic installer from the first post I got Sailfish on the tablet yesterday - only needed to comment out the Russian locale (maybe worth a mention in the first post?)

Ironically, sfos.scanf.su site was down at the time so I wasn't able then to update to 2.0.5.6 using TheKit's instructions on page 9, so I tried the tablet as it was. Due to a bunch of little annoyances I was a bit disappointed (had trouble with the wifi, the system time wouldn't update neither could be set correctly, ambience setting would reset after boot etc). Today, I could finally run all the commands to update to 2.0.5.6. (Some files were not found in the Jolla repository and I had to choose 'ignore' 3-4 times near the end but it didn't seem to hinder anything.)

After the boot... color me impressed! Using the tablet feels pretty sweet even though the sound is not working (which was expected). I'm not claiming that everything else works 100% as I've not used it that much yet, but I haven't really found a reason to complain, either. For roughly 80 euros the tablet already seems like a more than adequate substitute for a real Jolla Tablet where I'm concerned... others may have different opinions, of course.
Great work TheKit!

I did update the tablet's BIOS in hopes of maybe getting the sound to work as I read somewhere that this update will fix it for Android. No such luck with Sailfish.

Another thing I haven't been able to do is install Linux on the tablet. I've tried with different versions of Linux Mint but the display keeps staying blank after boot despite tries with different parameters e.g. 'i915.modeset=0', 'nomodeset', 'grub_gfxmode=1280x800x24', 'acpi_osi=Linux', 'i915.broken=1 i915.alse_backlight=1' etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Another thing I haven't been able to do is install Linux on the tablet. I've tried with different versions of Linux Mint but the display keeps staying blank after boot despite tries with different parameters e.g. 'i915.modeset=0', 'nomodeset', 'grub_gfxmode=1280x800x24', 'acpi_osi=Linux', 'i915.broken=1 i915.alse_backlight=1' etc.
Did you try i915.fastboot=1 with 4.7 or 4.8 kernel? The very latest ones probably need hack mentioned there.

Last edited by TheKit; 2017-02-05 at 08:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Did you try i915.fastboot=1 with 4.7 or 4.8 kernel? The very latest ones probably need hack mentioned there.
Thank you for this! I managed to boot Linux Mint 18.1 with quiet splash removed and i915.fastboot=1 added.
(EDIT: removed the video parameter as I don't seem to need it, after all)

I noticed the screen won't turn and I have't tried installing but at least now there's a way to use GParted for e.g. enlarging the sailfishos partition size if needed.

Last edited by tmi; 2017-02-05 at 23:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this! I managed to boot Linux Mint 18.1 with quiet splash removed and i915.fastboot=1 video=1280x800@60 added.

I noticed the screen won't turn and I have't tried installing but at least now there's a way to use GParted for e.g. enlarging the sailfishos partition size if needed.
Do you have sound in Mint or anything about sound chip in dmesg?

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Do you have sound in Mint or anything about sound chip in dmesg?
Unfortunately, no sound. Here is the dmesg output after boot, didn't see any mention of rt5640, though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, no sound. Here is the dmesg output after boot, didn't see any mention of rt5640, though.
[ 38.438878] sst-acpi 80860F28:00: No matching ASoC machine driver found

Yeah, not really helpful. If someone still has Android on V5, would be good to get dmesg from it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
[ 38.438878] sst-acpi 80860F28:00: No matching ASoC machine driver found

Yeah, not really helpful. If someone still has Android on V5, would be good to get dmesg from it.
did any of you try "installing" the driver or is it even possible in sfos to install drivers like in linux?

The Following User Says Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smatkovi View Post
did any of you try "installing" the driver or is it even possible in sfos to install drivers like in linux?
Well, on V5 we're missing sound codec driver and machine driver for that codec. It's implemented in kernel, so it can't be easily "installed" both in Linux or SFOS.

DSDT dump can be useful to at least identify the codec:
Code:
cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smatkovi View Post
so you can use google maps integrated in other apps for instance?
Not sure what you mean by that? Maps and Google Earth work fine, aso some other apps that use play services to my knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmichel For This Useful Post: