Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Even the calculator is being closed automatically, very handy when one wants to incorporate some figures in an emaill.

Drawer, meet Jolla.
ffs how many apps are you guys using at the same time? is it mittakulou that is so mem heavy or whta? been using u10 fot last week got here maps open most of the time with calculator and few others as they come by, if this happens when compiling i could understand, but mostbguys complaining aren't really devs, wtf? or do you just open all you have to have something to complain about? i hope i'm just the lucky now like was unlucky with overzealous closing of sshdaemon. only thing that closed for me was an android game, expected, can't complain

edit: haha ok now i can complain, with all those windowds oen eas unable to attach lol
then again, no sail apps closed on me, are the complainers all from androod world?
Attached Images

Last edited by szopin; 2014-12-26 at 05:30.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
edit: haha ok now i can complain, with all those windowds oen eas unable to attach lol
then again, no sail apps closed on me, are the complainers all from androod world?
I think they mostly are. I was trying to help them with with info on swappiness and all...

Well when you open android firefox and check memory stats you'll notice that it eats 15% of available memory. Add then android opera and it eats another 15 %...

That was the way I was checking if those settings helped.
It is helping to open more apps.
But sadly swappiness to insane numbers like my 99 adds lag to ui.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by korppi View Post
I think they mostly are. I was trying to help them with with info on swappiness and all...

Well when you open android firefox and check memory stats you'll notice that it eats 15% of available memory. Add then android opera and it eats another 15 %...

That was the way I was checking if those settings helped.
It is helping to open more apps.
But sadly swappiness to insane numbers like my 99 adds lag to ui.
True, checked again based on comments of you guys.

When only native Sailfish mail, notes, webbrowser, calculator , calendar open, nothing strange happened during 20 min of iddle.

Opening Firefox for Android however was enough to close all of the above mentioned programs.

So there seems to be a major change with regard to Android programs. I thought previously, Android Myriad Dalvik just had 512MB RAM at max and the rest would remain reserved for Jolla?

Before I never noticed severe lag or unacceptible slowdowns. In same usage scenario.

I know the difference between normal use and a torture test.

Besides opening many programs is not fun.on Jolla like on N900 simce it does not display more than 9 miniature views by default.

The Firefox besides being the best mobile browser IMO, I am using to save as PDF.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Firefox was just an example. Every browser is much the same. But android apps in general eat more memory.

But here is good reading for those that are interested in why things happen.

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...of-memory.html

But remember mobile is different beast, you just can't kill every process so there needs to be protection for some and this is where it gets complicated.

Last edited by korppi; 2014-12-26 at 07:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
my Calculator is gone again. So is file browse and callender

Collection of Sailfish natives that have pushed them out: Poor maps, Mail, messaging, phone and IRC.

Wonder why so radical a change.

Chinese uberpartner that is about to adopt Sailfish if only it behaves like Android?
Jolla discovered quality issues with the Emmc memory and wants to avoid swapping at all cost?

If so just let us know so we can move swap space to SD memory.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by synt View Post
Have you used the zramcfg in previous versions? I found it still affects Vaarainjärvi if its installed(checked with swapon -s) and after removing it I've had 0 task killing problems even with a lot of applications open. Just a thought.
Zram comes now preinstalled. After commenting out zramswapon line in

/lib/systemd/system/zram.service

and rebooting I seem to get that extra 100 MB back. It seemed to me that just disabling that service does not work out.

Now I really need both Android Firefox and Sailfish Browser have big pages open until OOM starts its crusade.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
ffs how many apps are you guys using at the same time?
Not that many. Due to the reduced usability of the Jolla compared to the N900, I use it basically only as a web browser (as it has a bigger screen and longer battery life than the N900).

However, on the N900, with only a quarter or Jolla's RAM, I habitually have 8 to 12 windows open at the same time. A few Leafpad instances, a terminal or two, an email, three browser windows... The phone can become sluggish if I keep them open for a few days but it never forcibly closes any application behind my back.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've had apps close with just Sailfish apps. Typically I'll have mail, phone, tweetian and a browser open. I'll switch to tweetian or the browser and when I go back, mail has been killed.

Browser tab reloading has returned too.

Not happy. They really need to change this behaviour as it makes a mockery of the multitasking view.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post

and rebooting I seem to get that extra 100 MB back. It seemed to me that just disabling that service does not work out.

Now I really need both Android Firefox and Sailfish Browser have big pages open until OOM starts its crusade.
Well, you did not really get it back - you lost up to 200 MB. Zram kicks in before the real swap starts to be used and can usually achieve an up to 50% compression ratio. So a 100 MB zram volume can give you up to 200 MB in-RAM space - basically an extra 100 MB of still fast RAM.

Actually I wonder if that new fancy OOM killer actually takes zram properly into account, as using it should not lead to any noticeable slowdowns. If would be very very wrong if it just lumps it together with normal swap when calculating if it should kill something.

Also, the zram volume size (actually 2x50 MB so that both CPU cores can be used for compression) seems kinda small compared to overall ram size - it is usually advised to use a much bigger amount of ram for zram. Even the N9 that also had just 1 GB of RAM used 256 MB for zram (still called compcache back then - see these nice slides about compcache usage on the N9 and N900).

So I would advice trying to make the overall zram volume size larger to see if it helps with the OOM situation.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post

I didnt mean disabling zram, but just removing the old zramcfg from Warehouse if you had it installed in Uitukka.

Here is swapon show with the old unofficial zramcfg installed in Vaarainjärvi:

http://aijaa.com/2FG9he

Here its removed:

http://aijaa.com/RXcecY

The latter case works MUCH better for me, the Jolla now multitasks better than ever and I don't see the problems people are talking about here.