Posts: 42 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Netherlands
Hi,

Can someone tell me how this will be done, and which runtime it will use on release?

Currently owning a Blackberry Z10 which uses Android 2.3 runtime (in the next update this will be 4.2.2), ported apps can be submitted to the appstore, or you can sideload the *.bar files (converted *.apk files) on the Phone.

Will this be the same on Jolla, or how should I see this?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Probably the same.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Using magic and a touch of alien dalvic. But mostly by magic.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
Using magic and a touch of alien dalvic. But mostly by magic.
Black magic? (I don't wanna sound racist tho)

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
as far as we know, it'll be not like the blackberry.
You don't need to convert anything.
Just grab a .apk file, and you're ready to go.
The Android apps will be running within a sandbox. But that's all we know so far.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Netherlands
That's good to know, especially that it won't need a conversion!
Although I'd definately wan't to run native apps, sometimes (like I experience on the Z10) the native apps aren't available yet, or won't come available at all.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
as far as we know, it'll be not like the blackberry.
You don't need to convert anything.
Just grab a .apk file, and you're ready to go.
The Android apps will be running within a sandbox. But that's all we know so far.
wondering how it deals with the three (ugly) buttons.

Nokia should do this for the initial release of Harmattan!

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
wondering how it deals with the three (ugly) buttons.

Nokia should do this for the initial release of Harmattan!
What Nokia should do, is not to let die the MeeGo at first point, and it should not sold itself to Microsoft...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anzx For This Useful Post:
I had a BlackBerry Z10 and the central problem with that approach to running Android apps was that only free apps were really legit, because of the inability to access the Google Play Store to buy paid apps. Hopefully Jolla will come up with a solution, preferably one that allows you to take apps directly from your Android device or somehow access the stuff you've already bought. The third party store solutions mentioned by Jolla sound interesting

The second problem is the frequent update cycle of the Android versions and the apps that it runs. Keeping up with Google is no easy task. And if you haven't been on an Android device lately, the pace of development is unbelievably fast compared to Meego/Maemo/most anything else. Every day I have several apps updating on my Android device (HTC One). Jolla has to hit Android compatibility out of the park, because the quality, variety, and availability of apps simply will not be enough without the addition of Android apps.

I, for one, would be super happy with a Jolla phone with great Android compatibility, but with the great Sailfish OS UI, more openness, unique styling, and well, something a little more Unlike that's great for single handed use.