Old news... Like go1dfish and others said, this is how resistive screens work. Old versions of liqbase (pre-N900) included a "fake multitouch" demo, which approximated the location of the second touch input based on the initial (stationary) location and the averaged point provided by the screen. Here's a video.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I believe the limitation isnt the hardware but rather the software at this stage.
Unfortunately I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Word is that the maemo 6 will have multiple input etc. Interesting to see what you discovered though. Perhaps a hack is doable.
I think they've said Maemo 6 will support capacitive screens, meaning we'll likely get multitouch when we get new hardware. Whether or not Maemo 6 will even run on the current hardware, I'm pretty sure the N900 will never have true multitouch because the resistive screen is incapable.

Originally Posted by ujwalsoni View Post
I don't know if such a form of multitouch can be exploited to provide useful application, but at the very least, it's a bloody fast way to switch between desktops
Cheers
lcuk had a liqbase demo with that kind of multitouch.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
I noticed two interesting things about the touchscreen on the n900:

1. A rudimentry form of MULTITOUCH
2. A type of PRESSURE SENSITIVITY

both "features" you discovered are normal things for resistive touchscreens

this is possible on EVERY device with resistive touchscreens.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
I'm pretty sure the N900 will never have true multitouch because the resistive screen is incapable.
Would be really nice if the N900 had mounted a screen "Stantum" ... a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv3X5...eature=related

--------
sorry for my english xD

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
The screen generates one centre of pressure which is the weighted sum of all local pressures acting on it. Force platforms work like this but the more common example is the Wii Fit board.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
I noticed two interesting things about the touchscreen on the n900:

1. A rudimentry form of MULTITOUCH
2. A type of PRESSURE SENSITIVITY

Here we go....

I. MULTITOUCH
On any of the multiple desktops, perform the following steps:
1: Press and hold your left thumb near the left side of the screen.
2: Without letting go of your left thumb, press and hold your right thumb near the right side of the screen.
3: The screen should now take inputs from both thumbs and jump to an indecicive area in the middle. Now let go of your left thumb, and then your right.
4: The view should have jumped to the next desktop.

II. PRESSURE SENSITIVITY
When you have both thumbs on the screen (in the above situation), vary the pressure from your right (or left) thumb, and notice how the display reacts to the pressure.

I don't know if such a form of multitouch can be exploited to provide useful application, but at the very least, it's a bloody fast way to switch between desktops
Cheers
This effect is the same as the effect you get from touching the mousepad thingie on laptop computers with two fingers, the mouse pointer jumps in the same way.

But still nice way to switch desktops and its pretty cool that it reacts to how much pressure you apply on each spot.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
You can observe the same on the N800/N810.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
Joe Pesci save the forum search...
I was about to start a new thread with this same discovery... I did it totally out-of-the-blue also..
I also believe it's just a side-effect of the resistive/single-touch technology underneath.. but this "hack" is indeed a usable one =]

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Originally Posted by mthmob View Post
This effect is the same as the effect you get from touching the mousepad thingie on laptop computers with two fingers, the mouse pointer jumps in the same way.

But still nice way to switch desktops and its pretty cool that it reacts to how much pressure you apply on each spot.
A number of synaptic touchpads can detect multiple touches:
http://techdigger.wordpress.com/2009...ows-xp-vista7/

I have a multitouch driver working on my laptop in X quite nicely. 2 finger scrolling is quite enjoyable. Not that Im saying the N900 has a multitouch resistive screen (though they do exist, youtube a very nice demo), Im just saying that many laptop trackpads DO support multitiouch Additionally I'd like to add that there has been speculation that the N900's touchscreen is a Stantum Multitouch display (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GCI5B5ntk for a demo). Anyway, no one has confirmed either way that it is or isnt, so I wouldn't outright dismiss the possibility.

On old n800 firmware pressure sensivity was used. If you press on menu with finger big buttons would appear, if you press with stylo, buttons will be small. On newer versions of firmware this feature was dropped as unneeded and all buttons became big. So pressure control is good, but nobody uses it actually.
May be it can be used for mouse move/click emulation.