Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
Can any body from Maemo Leste users upload a video on Youtube share his experience with this OS either brief or thoroughly, I want to see what changes occurred if you please..

Thanks in advance...
Have you tried putting "Maemo Leste video 2021" into your favorite search engine?

Thanks in advance...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hmm.. after all these years I suddenly had the urge to check what the status was with the N900...

I'm now running Leste and I have to say I'm seriously impressed by what I'm seeing. Finally a true mobile linux

I have to go through many things, including probably wiping mmcblk1 to use it with Leste (at least as storage dump), but for that I have to make sure I know how exactly u-boot is working, as currently it reads off Mydocs, so I have to change that first.

Lots to do.. but ssh and Modest (!) are working, so for now i'm really happy

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Please read this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
I hope that Maemo Leste doesn't go to forever update hell (if you upgrade new version of OS you have to install new version of all software or if you want install new version of software you have to install new version of OS). That is why I don't like iOS/Android/modern macOS (old Mac OS didn't have that problem)/modern Windows/modern Linux. Update stream model sucks!

Where is downcompability like with Symbian/DOS/TOS/System(Mac OS)/AmigaOS/Windows(up to 98SE)
If software doesn't need new features of OS, you could run it in older version of OS or you could run old software in newer OS. I think one best example is to run Mac System 1 software (from 1985) in Mac OS X 10.4.11PPC (from 2007). And yes you could do opposite too, if you didn't use developing tools based gcc.

Sorry this busting, but I hope we(I hope that I code something to Leste later) take versioning seriously and make programming documentation easy to follow what calls works in what version.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
I hope that Maemo Leste doesn't go to forever update hell (if you upgrade new version of OS you have to install new version of all software or if you want install new version of software you have to install new version of OS).
I think that's one of the developers' main points: they want to create a true "mainline" GNU/Linux distribution for phones, where that specifically won't happen, and updates (theoretically) go on forever.

Additionally, if you have a phone with a hardware keyboard you can use non-GUI apps, and those are usually more long-lived anyhow.

Where is downcompability like with Symbian/DOS/TOS/System(Mac OS)/AmigaOS/Windows(up to 98SE)
Since both Fremantle and Leste are true GNU/Linux OSs I think you're looking in the wrong direction there.

However, consider 3 decades of GNU/Linux software at your fingertips!
That's what Leste stands for.

I hope we take versioning seriously and make programming documentation easy to follow what calls works in what version.
QFT

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
I'll try getting this to work on my N900 again. I tried a few weeks ago but hit some problems:
The usb connection is tenuous in the rare cases it connects at all,
I couldn't install u-boot (I imagine I have broken dependencies I tried upgrading glib or libc6 or something a few years ago and havn't been able to install most things), and
my MicroSD card is either corrupt, the wrong class, or I incorrectly formated the storage system.
It looks hopeless but I doubt it is. I'd given up on installing anything new a few years ago. I use the N900 mostly as a media player and report generation device. It's worked fine for that. I even get a rare phonecall on it. I havn't any reason to install new software, but Memo-Leste seems relevant (and I could probably use the web browser more often). I highly appreciate the desire to keep the kernal upstream involved in downstream developments; it's honest and rational. (Google's approach is phony and has fooled many many people.) Any suggestions about how to get my N900 current are appreciated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
The lastest image maemo-leste-1.0-armhf-n900-20220202.img does not contain a uImage on the boot partition.
Code:
$ ls
boot  config-5.15.2  lost+found  System.map-5.15.2  vmlinuz-5.15.2
compared to the working maemo-leste-1.0-armhf-n900-20220109.img
Code:
$ ls
config-5.1.21  lost+found  System.map-5.1.21  uImage  uImage-5.1.21
and U-Boot can not start it.

Without really knowing what I do I tried to
Code:
sudo mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 80008000 -e 80008000 -n kernel -d vmlinuz-5.15.2 uImage-5.15.2
which lead to a restart after a short delay (I guess the watchdog) and
Code:
sudo mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C gzip -a 80008000     -e 80008000 -n kernel -d vmlinuz-5.15.2 uImage-5.15.2
which lead to "Error: bad gzipped data" and a restart.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
You should report this to the team on iirc channel or github. This is more a user chat thread.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
We are aware and working on it

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Guys: https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101300

In short, we need everyone we can get to join the Maemo eV.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Great news from Leste,
Have you seen this?

Originally Posted by Maemo Leste Blog
A couple of months ago we were made aware of the DAPSI project by our dear Michiel of NLnet. DAPSI is one of the projects in the scope of the European Union's Next Generation Internet initiative and it offers funding for projects that research data portability and privacy solutions to give people better control over their personal data.

Seeing this, we realised that Maemo Leste could be a good fit. We managed to write an application and apply to the open call just before the deadline.

A month or so later...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7