Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Great photo, i love the leading lines!

Reminds me of the german saying "Tritt sich fest".
Literally "Stomps itself tightly (anyway)", meaning to not care about something you dropped since it gets one with the floor/ground over time by getting stomped into it.
Mostly used in the opposite way to remind someone to pick sth up or passiv aggessively remind others of carelessness.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Great photo, i love the leading lines!

Reminds me of the german saying "Tritt sich fest".
Literally "Stomps itself tightly (anyway)", meaning to not care about something you dropped since it gets one with the floor/ground over time by getting stomped into it.
Mostly used in the opposite way to remind someone to pick sth up or passiv aggessively remind others of carelessness.
Hmm, I'd like so much to catch the fine meaning of what you explain but i see it with a resolution like ...hmm... 3x4 pixels!
From one language to another then to another one... Kind of like a tape copy!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
So beautiful our Earth is... Thanks

Is it ok if I only vote this month?

Just... Can't find anything or even nearly suitable scene for this topic to shot from my place... I took one picture little earlier but not sure if I show it...

I will vote, for sure!

seeya...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Now that i am into Hambach topic again, a rather interesting earth related story just crossed my timeline.

On the satellite view i linked is the "Forschungszentrum Jülich", a nuclear research facility, visible at the bottom left.
Last week a team of archaeologists digging near the Hambach Forest to unearth remains of a roman villa discovered a sealed metal box containing 30 year old spy radio equipment in perfect condition
Probably hidden there by a spy covering the research facility after the east-block collapsed.

https://www.livescience.com/soviet-s...d-germany.html

https://www.archaeology.org/news/847...y-soviet-radio

Earth is not only beautiful but full of surprises.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Most impressive to me is that you can spot the hole even if you zoom out satellite maps to view of near full europe. It is the white dot south-west of my yellow marker location.

https://mosushi.de/misc/photocomp/Bi...2011-44-38.png

[ ... ]

Hello Elon, i can show you huge wastelands in germany where a giga factory would not hurt at all but cost for Tesla would be much higher and prestige much lower, deal?
Also, would you mind to guarantee to leave a recreational area once you decide to eventually close down?
(Sorry for trolling and border-lining politics still...)
I have relatives near the other white dots on the right side of Germany. If you go from your yellow marker straight east to the Polish border.

As you can see, there are three still active diggings (the big grey areas in my screen shot) and a lot of already "lake-a-fied" ones (the water in the middle is a dam on the river Spree). They have been made recreation area with artficial interconnections between the lakes.

And as for Tesla: The area chosen has been talked about 20 years ago with BMW for creating a factory. It has the Autobahn to the West, a freight storage and trans-shipment centre of two major food store chains to the South and a train line to the North. The tree were considered bad wood ready for cutting for some time. You could say, the protest is the usual "Mimimi" we Germans are known for
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA

IMG_20200216_155323

Earth, emerging from beneath the snow with a warm spell to reveal what's been going on beneath. Well, there's last year's turf grass starting to green up a little, and some new fallen leaves (since Pin Oak keeps shedding from mid-Autumn until the spring buds swell and pop the last old ones off), and some new growth of clover and wild strawberry. And of course, plenty of acorns and acorn fragments feeding the squirrels over the winter. So many acorns this year that I find half-eaten nut-meats all around.

Sony Xperia X running Sailfish X. Piggz advanced camera -- straight off camera, no editing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
. The tree were considered bad wood ready for cutting for some time.
This reminds me of some archived stuff in my "basement of wonder":

My grandmother studied German (just the language, AFAIK) in college about 100 years ago, and was therefore able to translate some of her grandfather's letters received from his relatives "back home" somewhere in Westphalia.

We still have these translated pages. One such letter -- from a brother, I believe -- said that they'd finally found use for the grove of trees my great, great grandfather had planted before emigrating. They cut them down an burned them, of course!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Last orders, please! The last three days for voting start this time tomorrow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Voting time!

1. john_god, "Plan B", Samsung J4+, reduced in GIMP

2. Fellfrosh, "A view on the Earth from above", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin

3. Maemish, "Grounded to a rock", N900 with BlessN900, reduced to 77%

4. pichlo, "View from office window", Jolla 1, no editing

5. juiceme, "Icefall", Xperia X, retouched in GIMP

6. kinggo, "The earth, the essence", XZ2, retouched in GIMP

7. chenliangchen, "No camping", Pro1, no editing, original photo here

8. mosen, "The Hambach hole", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin

9. ric9K, "Earth eating back human's hardware", N900, fcam, no editing

10. robthebold, "Earth emerging from snow", Xperia X, no editing

Voting ends on Sunday mid-morning (UTC).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
...and my vote goes to... 6. kinggo!

Because it was the picture I would have taken if I were not too lazy (and the ground weren't soaked like a wet sponge after three months of almost non-stop rain).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition