Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
I know this is terribly noobish - but how do I install flash support into the SDK browser? Do I need to add a repo to the app manager?

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ São Paulo (Brazil)
I THINK it's not possible. But it's my first time trying something like the scratchbox.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I have not read about FLASH being used anywhere except in the web browser. So I would imagine they intend you to test FLASH by sticking it on a web server and testing the web browser directly on the N900 itself.

Perhaps I wasn't clear...

I meant that when I go to youtube, frex, I cannot see the videos because the flash plugin isn't installed.

I've searched for info on this, but I don't find any clear explanations. It seems like such a simple thing that I feel stupid for asking....but I'll be damned if I can figure it out

I'm not sure it is even supported. Not any real reason I can think of for Nokia to spend a developers time getting the SDK to run flash.

Your normal browser will run flash; so any development and testing your probably going to be using Adobe Flash studio, to run, test and debug it. No need for the sdk.

Nathan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm not sure it is even supported. Not any real reason I can think of for Nokia to spend a developers time getting the SDK to run flash.

Your normal browser will run flash; so any development and testing your probably going to be using Adobe Flash studio, to run, test and debug it. No need for the sdk.

Nathan
I am building both a flex client and a native service. I need to be able to debug them together.

Why can't the standard flash package be installed into the SDK browser? I thought they were identical binaries...

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
You do have a point. I am a little disappointed that the SDK does not present itself as a fully equipped stock N900, like how Windows Mobile emulators do.

That said, I have not gotten the final SDK installed yet so not sure how much more like a real N900 it is.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
I am building both a flex client and a native service. I need to be able to debug them together.

Why can't the standard flash package be installed into the SDK browser? I thought they were identical binaries...
No, what is actually running in the scratchbox is linux x86 version of those components -- it can compile against both the arm & x86 versions -- but what you see when you are running in Xephyr is the x86 version of the components. Nokia would probably need special permission (& probably a additional cost) to distribute Adobe flash stuff in the sdk. This would require even more work to integrate into the sdk by a Nokia developer.

I think yours is really the only "case" I can think of where it could actually be useful to have flash built into the sdk.

What I would do is go to the bugtracker and open a new sdk bug detailing why you need it. This way someone at Nokia could actually see the issue and/or other devs might know a way around this.

Nathan.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
You do have a point. I am a little disappointed that the SDK does not present itself as a fully equipped stock N900, like how Windows Mobile emulators do.

That said, I have not gotten the final SDK installed yet so not sure how much more like a real N900 it is.
All in all, it acts like a N900. See this thread I have some screen shots of the final sdk. I had no issues installing from the standard repositories software and then running them. I have installed both GTK and Qt4 apps. No issues so far.

Flash is a "addon" to the browser, and not typically a "needed" component for development, so I can see understand why it isn't present. It bites in this case for Hogwash as it makes it a lot harder to test things. But otherwise as far as I can tell the sdk is pretty complete and fully runnable.

Nathan.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ São Paulo (Brazil)
If you open youtube the Web Browser, you will get a link to download Flash 10.x (x86).

I think there is a chance of using it on the SDK. Isn't the browser Mozilla based?

Anyway, the Xephyr screen is very bad. Colors changing all the time. It's almost like being colorblind.