Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Alright. Lets hear peoples experiences with the new updated map application (2.2.8.604).

So anybody else notice any changes?

jbk
I think they've made it easier to see the overview of the calculated route. The button that you press to see the whole route now displays it for longer (was about 0.2 seconds or something stupid). It also seems easier to browse and zoom in on the route. For me, thats a useful improvement.

There's lots of things I would still like to see improved that could be done very easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to HowieG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I'll check this out, it has the possiblity of being useful if it stayed on the screen long enough fo you to read it!

Originally Posted by HowieG View Post
I think they've made it easier to see the overview of the calculated route. The button that you press to see the whole route now displays it for longer (was about 0.2 seconds or something stupid). It also seems easier to browse and zoom in on the route. For me, thats a useful improvement.

There's lots of things I would still like to see improved that could be done very easily.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by HowieG View Post
For me the overview stays on the screen for a whole 3 seconds now. Which is still next to useless. TomTom used to offer a "view route" option with both text and map views. And it stayed on screen until you exited it. Now that was useful.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
For me the overview stays on the screen for a whole 3 seconds now. Which is still next to useless. TomTom used to offer a "view route" option with both text and map views. And it stayed on screen until you exited it. Now that was useful.
Yes, this is one of the thing I most miss from the TomTom that I used to run on my TH55

Also, I would like that it turned the big keyboard on by default a là Canola, instead of bringing the standard one...

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
With voice guidance, you must have at least one voice installed in the navicore folder where all your maps are stored.
I didn't test last version, but in older versions your application and the voice had to be set to the same language

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2008 @ cambridge, UK
The overview display is shown all the time u depress the distance button ->· so no change in behaviour for me. If u tap the button, u get a brief pulse of the overview as before.

Nice u can set a route before it gets a GPS fix as u sit in the car setting it up..

What I have noticed for 1st time is it has started to suggest fast routes thru central London rather than M25 to get to Heathrow from bottom of M11! It goes 100yards from Buckingham Palace - mad. And it asks if u want to allow routeing thru Congestion Charge area - despite saying no tollroads in options. Very annoying and brain dead.

Last edited by alcam; 2008-12-24 at 00:44.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by alcam View Post

What I have noticed for 1st time is it has started to suggest fast routes thru central London rather than M25 to get to Heathrow from bottom of M11! It goes 100yards from Buckingham Palace - mad. And it asks if u want to allow routeing thru Congestion Charge area - despite saying no tollroads in options. Very annoying and brain dead.
I'm not familiar with London and my English is a little weak. Could you please explain your problems in other words?

I just used my N810 to navigate from NY to Chicago. So here is my experiences...

First, I got a GPS fix with the N810's built in GPS within about a minute and a half while driving from a cold start. The weather was snowing so I was surprised to see such a quick lock.

The route calculated perfectly. Voice guidance was pretty accurate in giving prompts about distance with upcoming turns and exits. I didn't have one missed turn or exit so I was happy. Got me exactly where I was going on a long trip with no mistakes.

In Chicago, we were using my friends stand alone GPS (Mio - don't recall the model number) and we were searching for a "Trader Joes." The stand alone GPS could only find "Joe Trader" so we thought it must be a typo. Nope, it wasn't. So we lost about an hour after fighting traffic. We go home and I grab my N810. Open up map and search for "Trader Joes" and bam... like 5 locations come up. I was totally shocked that my N810 could find Trader Joes but my friends stand alone GPS could not.

This is strange... I had to make a quick trip to the post office so I grab my N810 and start map... do a POI search for post offices and tons come up... cool. But what sucked is that the closest one map could find was 3.3 miles away. I knew one was closer so I hop online and sure enough, 1 is only a half mile away. And what sucks more is that map had a post office POI icon where the post office was on the actual map, but doing a POI search could not find it.

Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to change the pointer color and remove the ring around it. When you are using the day setting, the color of the pointer is not much different than the background color... not a big deal, but if it were red or blue it'd be easier to see at a quick glance.

So even tho the map application has a bunch of stuff that could be done to make it a much better app, I still use it and like it. It's got it's +'s and it's -'s.

jbk

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I'm not familiar with London and my English is a little weak. Could you please explain your problems in other words?
London has an enormous orbital motorway, the M25. If you imagine a clock, the M11 (Cambridge to London) joins at about 1 o'clock (about J24 IIRC). Heathrow is at about 9 o'clock (J15).

The fastest way from where the M11 joins the M25 to Heathrow (London's biggest airport) is to go anti-clockwise around the M25. Depending on the time of day, this should take (OTTOMH) about 30-45 minutes.

An alternative route would be to drive all the way in to the centre of London and back out again. This would mean you were liable to pay London's Congestion Charge. This route would take you about 90 minutes, be hell to drive and cost you money.

If Wayfinder are now suggesting routes through the centre of London, the routing algorithm is now seriously FUBAR.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

If Wayfinder are now suggesting routes through the centre of London, the routing algorithm is now seriously FUBAR.
Either that or Wayfinder is getting a kickback from London's congestion system

Tags
map 2.2.8.604 wayfinder