Looks like MWC for the XA3 handsets:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/sony...ening_id112657

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Personally, I think the reliance on Google garbage in order to use an independent, third-party mobile OS is a little silly.

The whole point is to get away from the Google/Apple duopoly. I feel like Jolla should focus more on device support and software stack completion, instead of wasting resources on polluting Sailfish devices with the Google disease.

Just can't see the point.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Personally, I think the reliance on Google garbage in order to use an independent, third-party mobile OS is a little silly.

The whole point is to get away from the Google/Apple duopoly. I feel like Jolla should focus more on device support and software stack completion, instead of wasting resources on polluting Sailfish devices with the Google disease.

Just can't see the point.
A noble idea but remind me please how would you do that agian?
Maybe support only phones that have blobless SoC:s? How many of those are there, hm??

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
A noble idea but remind me please how would you do that agian?
Maybe support only phones that have blobless SoC:s? How many of those are there, hm??
There are a few. Basebands are another story. But that wasn't really the point. The point is that I'd rather not rely on Google services/apps in order to pretend I'm using an alternative. It kind of defeats the purpose I think.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I'd rather not rely on Google services/apps in order to pretend I'm using an alternative. It kind of defeats the purpose I think.
This! A hundred times this!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
+1
It's better to use android without google than sailfish with it. Sadly, after all this time, sailfish is then just a launcher and not much more since 6 years after its core apps are still so basic and very limited.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There are a few. Basebands are another story. But that wasn't really the point. The point is that I'd rather not rely on Google services/apps in order to pretend I'm using an alternative. It kind of defeats the purpose I think.
OK, I thought you were condemning the use of libhybris on the basis that it relies on Google code in the drivers layer. Of this there indeed are not enough escape possibilities.

On the issue of Android software and apps I am of course of same mind, I have been using SFOS since its inception on a range of devices (sbj1, tablet, nexus5, xperiax) and am proud to say that I have never enabled Alien Dalvik on any of my devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
+1
It's better to use android without google than sailfish with it. Sadly, after all this time, sailfish is then just a launcher and not much more since 6 years after its core apps are still so basic and very limited.
Maybe it suits a simple man like me; I have no problem with sailfish apps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Maybe it suits a simple man like me; I have no problem with sailfish apps.
True.
For the ones/few there are.

But what about needs of peeps (not only Swedish!) for banking apps or similar?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
True.
For the ones/few there are.

But what about needs of peeps (not only Swedish!) for banking apps or similar?
Ah but I do have a solution for you, my friend.

The reason that such abomination as vendor-lock for devices used to access public services is because the politicians have allowed it to happen.
The way to fix this is to elect intelligent people who understand the value of open interfaces for public services.

We have upcoming election in Finland in 2 months, and soon is time a new EU elections... People need to make noise about this issue and make sure there will be laws against it.

Everybody will profit on openking up these interfaces!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: