Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No, no I really don't. There are tons of applications you can install on it outside of what Nokia bundles, and connecting to the internet is fast and easy. I really fail to see the point.
My point is that while there ARE apps that can be installed, there aren't a whole lot of completed different apps available (meaning over 100) or "quality apps" that a "regular person" would use which would make them buy an NIT in the first place (Games, PIM, Office, etc).

My point is that if Nokia added more "quality apps" to the tablet out of the box, they would sell more tablets and also grow the userbase rather than just being limited as strictly an internet access only tablet.

In actuallty, the NIT's competition is the Sony Mylo NOT the Iphone, Ipod Touch or EEPC. What the Sony Mylo does is very similar to the NIT. But, they could make it so much more than just a Mylo competitor. THAT is my point.

If you want to check out the Mylo, here is the link (if links are not allowed, mod please edit my post)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644539857

Last edited by Wzrd; 2008-03-01 at 01:52.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Wzrd View Post
My point is that if Nokia added more "quality apps" to the tablet out of the box, they would sell more tablets and also grow the userbase rather than just being limited as strictly an internet access only tablet.
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
* Software isn't fungus. It doesn't just appear on its own.
Software doesn't come for free, and we're still on at stage 3.

In actuallty, the NIT's competition is the Sony Mylo NOT the Iphone, Ipod Touch or EEPC. What the Sony Mylo does is very similar to the NIT. But, they could make it so much more than just a Mylo competitor. THAT is my point.
Bull. They may be mildly similar in classification, but the Mylo can barely do anything, and it's functionality doesn't change one bit after it's out of the box, while the maemo tablets have a giant world of 3rd party stuff that you can use. They really don't compare.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Software on the Mylo... it all has to start somewhere...

I agree that it's nothing compared to the apps on the NIT, but if Sony actually can make it easy to program for, who knows what might happen.

The Mylo in its current version just came out. Step 2 for them, and they disconnected from their past just like Nokia did with the 770.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
My point is that while there ARE apps that can be installed, there aren't a whole lot of completed different apps available (meaning over 100) or "quality apps" that a "regular person" would use which would make them buy an NIT in the first place (Games, PIM, Office, etc).
If you bought an NIT for Games, PIM and Office, you bought the wrong device.

If you bought an NIT thinking that Nokia owes it to you that PIM, Office and Games will be developed, you bought the wrong device.

Nokia made the platform fairly open so that developers would be able to write applications to extend the functionality of the tablet. If these applications do not exist, or if they perform poorly, then the onus would be on the developer community to respond to that demand, or to the developer to optimize the code further. In some cases, the tablet simply lacks enough processing power for certain tasks, e.g. image editing a la Photoshop -- a developer might be able to write an application for the NiT, but it is likely to encounter performance issues.

At this point in time, the size of the maemo developer base is still relatively small and hence applications are not flying out of the ether. Time may change this, or it may not, but if you bought something believing that it would do certain things that it is not obliged to do, then you need to realise that belief doesn't change reality

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
If you bought an NIT for Games, PIM and Office, you bought the wrong device.

If you bought an NIT thinking that Nokia owes it to you that PIM, Office and Games will be developed, you bought the wrong device.

Nokia made the platform fairly open so that developers would be able to write applications to extend the functionality of the tablet. If these applications do not exist, or if they perform poorly, then the onus would be on the developer community to respond to that demand, or to the developer to optimize the code further. In some cases, the tablet simply lacks enough processing power for certain tasks, e.g. image editing a la Photoshop -- a developer might be able to write an application for the NiT, but it is likely to encounter performance issues.

At this point in time, the size of the maemo developer base is still relatively small and hence applications are not flying out of the ether. Time may change this, or it may not, but if you bought something believing that it would do certain things that it is not obliged to do, then you need to realise that belief doesn't change reality
I never said I bought it for games, PIM and Office strictly. If you would have read my previous post, I said I bought it as a quick way to get on the internet. I also said that I bought it because it ran Linux but coming from a Windows background, I didn't know there were different versions of Linux and they are not compatible with each other. I F'd up there.

I never said that Nokia owed it to me to have PIM, Offiice, games and other apps available. What I DID say was that if they DID have those available, they would have possibly more buyers of the NIT and thereby create a larger userbase rather than just catering mainly to the geeks. The more functionality/features a device has, the more likely someone (joe public) is to buy it.

Look at what's out there today (Palm, Windows mobile devices or even PC's or Macs), there are thousands of programs available for them. Each device has quite a bit of functionality due to the abundance of various software available.

I do understand the hardware limitations. Hell, I have trouble browsing and using Skype/Gizmo at the same time without either the browser locking up or Gizmo/Skype disconnecting mid call.

I think what Nokia needs to do to be successful with the NIT is stick to one OS platform (don't go from Bora to Chinook to whatever..stick to one version), and develop more programs or have more third party software developers (much like what is currently on other platforms (windows, palm, mac, windows mobile) develop them.

Last edited by Wzrd; 2008-03-03 at 07:32.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Software on the Mylo [..] I agree that it's nothing compared to the apps on the NIT, but if Sony actually can make it easy to program for, who knows what might happen.
Sony can't. And it has nothing to do with the technical side. They just can't. If you told their management of such a possibility, they would probably consider you a lunatic.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I think what Nokia needs to do to be successful with the NIT is stick to one OS platform (don't go from Bora to Chinook to whatever..stick to one version), and develop more programs or have more third party software developers (much like what is currently on other platforms (windows, palm, mac, windows mobile) develop them.
Now that really reveals a lot of ignorance. <_<

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I think what Nokia needs to do to be successful with the NIT is stick to one OS platform (don't go from Bora to Chinook to whatever..stick to one version)
"Bora" and "Chinook" are just code names for versions of the tablet operating system. If you're familiar with Mac OS X, then think of these as the equivalent of "Tiger" and "Leopard". So, Bora and Chinook are to OS2007 and OS2008 as Tiger and Leopard are to 10.4 and 10.5.

If you're a Windows person, think of 2000, XP, and Vista instead. They're Microsoft's friendly names for Windows NT 5.0, 5.1, and 6.0 respectively.

Hrm. Perhaps Vista is a bad example. There seem to be a fair number of folks who'd have preferred if Microsoft had stuck the XP "OS platform".

I thought it was a fair review. And I do wonder if it was a UK one, and thus somewhat biased towards the good 3G availability/cheap data plans/ease of SIM swapping that we have ?

If the IT came with a SIM slot it would be great. I don't think it is a must have, but it is a very nice to have.

The problem with tethering is that you have to worry about 2 battery lives, not just one. If the battery dies on my NIT - hey ho, I can't surf. On my phone that is another thing. I am now out of emergency contact. OK, it might seem a small thing, but it is important to me. I can eek out 10% of battery life by turning the whizzy stuff off, and it is still a phone.

You can currently get a data plan from Three in the UK for £15 a month. And a free 3G USB modem thrown in ! You could put that SIM card in your NIT, your Laptop or UMPC - more and more laptops are coming with SIM slots.

There is also the sheer convienience of "it just being on". And this is something that you have to experience to "get" really. I have a Samsung Q1 that I have put a WWAN modem into. I could easily plug my USB Modem in, and this is the way I have operated for a while. But onboard HSDPA really makes it so smooth and effortless. It might seem like being lazy, but that is the way it feels. And it is a popular upgrade too, so am perhaps not alone.

Having tethered via BT in the past this seems like a similar thing. Certainly possible, but it could be smoother with it on board.

Battery life is better with onboard too. Whilst Bluetooth can happily be on all day now (thanks to the new PAN support - woot !) and not drain the battery, two devices IMHO running in tanden use more juice than one on it's own.

As I said, it is no deal breaker. But it would be great if it did have it.

Don't really get the problem with lack of a PIM to be honest. Web based PIMs are the way forward for me. Why worry about syncing DATA from many devices in many formats. Been there and done that on more devices than I care to think about. They never quite talk. Leave the data central and access it from multiple places. Add in Google Gears for offline support and you have something rather useful. Remember the Milk, Google Calendar & Bookmarks, Zoho Notebook etc etc etc. Access to your PIM from your desktop, phone, friend's phone, NIT, work computer.... almost ubiquitous.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by Noger View Post
Don't really get the problem with lack of a PIM to be honest. Web based PIMs are the way forward for me. Why worry about syncing DATA from many devices in many formats. Been there and done that on more devices than I care to think about. They never quite talk. Leave the data central and access it from multiple places. Add in Google Gears for offline support and you have something rather useful. Remember the Milk, Google Calendar & Bookmarks, Zoho Notebook etc etc etc. Access to your PIM from your desktop, phone, friend's phone, NIT, work computer.... almost ubiquitous.
I think this is a regional difference- I think there are a lot of people in the USA that use the n810 and *gasp* either don't have a mobile data plan or skip having a mobile phone altogether (mostly because of the expense).

That being the case, offline apps are very nice to have. I would love to have a simple calendar app that syncs with my google account. And yes, I know there are combinations of applications out there currently available to accomplish this task.

Call me ignorant if you must for buying the wrong device or for comparing apples and oranges, but basic PIM and contact functionality is available on the ipod touch out of the box (to be fair, the iTouch is useless for offline nav purposes).