Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
No, the only change is to allow you to run the cpu at full speed (and the dsp at less than full speed). This was designed to allow video decoding to use the full cpu speed, but there is some sort of issue with video decoding - it produces very poor framerates when using the dsp task for sbc. I'm looking into this atm.
OK, in that case I will try to flash this kernel image just before leaving office today, and check how that affects drop-outs on may way back home.

Regarding the drop outs using dsp-sbc, the ARM is is transferring 48000Hz x 2 channels x 16bit data to the DSP (512 bytes x 375 per second), which then transfers 78 x 375 bytes back per second. So we don't have a great deal of latency, if anything delays the transfer to or from the DSP we've only got ~1/375th of a second of audio left in the buffer.

Unfortunately this is what bluez provides (without major hacking), obviously a larger transfer buffer would be far better in terms of transfer overhead and delays. We'll have to see if bluez can be hacked a bit more to provide more than the 512 bytes per call it currently does (though I guess much more will start producing syncing problems, not that we have video working anyway though
Good luck in hacking bluez then In the meantime, I will give some feedback after flashing kernel later on.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have used lardman's package and it is really awesome!

The one time i watched a dvd rip of batman begins without prior conversion from my pc via a2dp. It was stuttery as hell when it started.... but later on it was okay. Although it is not really watchable..... it is damn good for that device. Infact i could watch the videos from mytube without any drops.

Thank you so much lardman.

Now i am waiting to stream internet radio via a2dp and then avcrp.

OK, in that case I will try to flash this kernel image just before leaving office today, and check how that affects drop-outs on may way back home.
Look at the release notes, you need to echo a value into /sys/power/op_dsp to change the CPU-DSP speed ratio, and then to change it back again.

Thank you so much lardman.
Glad to help

Now i am waiting to stream internet radio via a2dp and then avcrp.
Can mplayer do this? Or do you mean using the in-built client? I've not looked, but it may be possible to tweak the conf files to place either an alsa sink or the sbc sink on the end of the standard pipeline rather than the mp3/pcm sink.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Look at the release notes, you need to echo a value into /sys/power/op_dsp to change the CPU-DSP speed ratio, and then to change it back again.
Yep, I remember that. Thanks for reminder, tough :)

UPDATE: OK, I have some feedback after flashing the kernel and tweaking CPU/DSP frequency (echo 0 > /sys/power/op_dsp). Unfortunately, drop-outs are still there - no change in that matter. :( However, I've noticed something even stranger - when I start playback (using Canola and/or Kagu - tested both), I usually can first hear a split-second sound, then nothing (although song is still playing in the player), and after 5-8 seconds I can hear the music back again and then it plays normally without major drops. Same thing happens at the beginning of almost every single music file (and time varies, sometimes it's like 1-3 secs, sometimes is 6-8), so let's say I have album with 10 songs, and I have few-seconds drop out at the beginning of each one... It seems to me like player is buffering (?) a song at the beginning, which takes some CPU time, hence drop-out for A2DP...

But other than that, I've listened whole album on my way home today, and apart from that issue above and few occasional drop-outs, it actually was quite OK! :)

Last edited by evad; 2008-08-14 at 20:32. Reason: Feedback added

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
I hope someone can help me. I just purchased a pair of BT headphones yesterday, and I've been working on making them sound better. I've run into my first problem -- the bluez deb package won't install; says there's a conflict. Is there anything I can do to resolve it? Unfortunately, I'm still learning Linux (although I'm a quick learner).

The Following User Says Thank You to thepenguinonthetelly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by thepenguinonthetelly View Post
I hope someone can help me. I just purchased a pair of BT headphones yesterday, and I've been working on making them sound better. I've run into my first problem -- the bluez deb package won't install; says there's a conflict. Is there anything I can do to resolve it? Unfortunately, I'm still learning Linux (although I'm a quick learner).
Did you try, red pill mode?

how to red pill mode:

go to app manager > Menu > application catalog > New > In the address input "matrix" > hit cancel > select red pill > try installing bluez.

After installation get back to blue pill mode.. by doing the same

Thanks. I remember there being some sort of red pill mode package for my old 770, but I've never known how to do it for the 800 (didn't realize I'd have to be in red pill mode to do that anyway; learn something new every day).

Now I'm having problems with the install_sbcenc.sh file -- not sure what to do with it, I hate to say. I've tried what I've seen on page 19, but I keep getting permission denied while even in root.

Thanks. I remember there being some sort of red pill mode package for my old 770, but I've never known how to do it for the 800 (didn't realize I'd have to be in red pill mode to do that anyway; learn something new every day).

Now I'm having problems with the install_sbcenc.sh file -- not sure what to do with it, I hate to say. I've tried what I've seen on page 19, but I keep getting permission denied while even in root.
If you're trying to execute it from memory card (/mnt/mmcXX), then move files somewhere under /home/user and then execute it as root. I'm not sure why, but I've got similar problem while trying to execute that script from memory card. :-o

Nah, it's already on /home/user (I remember reading a while back about how trying to install from the mmc was a no-go). I'm not sure if I'm typing something wrong or what. What exactly am I supposed to type to execute it?

Nah, it's already on /home/user (I remember reading a while back about how trying to install from the mmc was a no-go). I'm not sure if I'm typing something wrong or what. What exactly am I supposed to type to execute it?
1) cd /home/user/dir_where_script_is_located
2) chmod +x install_sbcenc.sh
3) ./install_sbcenc.sh

Should be simple as that...