"Item Is New Never Used In Open Box" Is how it was listed. Bought it from a power seller who claims he has 50 of them for sale.

See attached images of what I got. Light scratches on keyboard and face. Chipped paint and heavier scratches on the bottom.

When I emailed him he basically implied that I was trying to get one over on him. That all his other ones were brand new in open boxes. So how did I get a used one? No applology, just a threat that is I didn't return everything back to him immediately with all accessories and screen protector he would report me to ebay. Bizarre! This is a power seller!!! Of course I have to pay return shipping. He better refund all of the transaction otherwise I'll be pissed. I should forfeit the shipping i paid him right?

I won't post the info (seller name) on this guy until I see how he handles the rest of the transaction. But if you are going to purchase one on ebay, PM me and I'll give you his name so you can avoid him.

oh wow. thats horrible. i hope everything goes well with the refund. what method of payment did you use?

Originally Posted by obstacles can kill View Post
oh wow. thats horrible. i hope everything goes well with the refund. what method of payment did you use?
Yeah thanks. I used paypal. Incidentally, I paid $353 after shipping.
Definitely worth the extra money to go direct to nokia or another retailer. Is it just me, or has ebay become more of a sordid affair than it used to be? I seem to be having some bad experiences time and time again.

Last edited by crabolsky; 2008-04-28 at 14:17. Reason: grammer.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
How does he explain how he came to posses 50 in open boxes? Were they returned items?

Dude,

I did not have any problems with the front but I did have some scratches on the back. I bought mine right when they were released but got it from buy.com.

Sorry to hear your experience. Seems like demo units, that would explain the damage. I don't use eBay to buy anything beyond $100, even if it seems to be cheaper than a retail store.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
How does he explain how he came to posses 50 in open boxes? Were they returned items?
From the appearances, and the scratches, they "fell off a truck!"

The Following User Says Thank You to BoredOOMM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by crabolsky View Post
When I emailed him he basically implied that I was trying to get one over on him. That all his other ones were brand new in open boxes. So how did I get a used one? No applology, just a threat that is I didn't return everything back to him immediately with all accessories and screen protector he would report me to ebay. Bizarre! This is a power seller!!! Of course I have to pay return shipping. He better refund all of the transaction otherwise I'll be pissed. I should forfeit the shipping i paid him right?
Sounds like the MO of an unethical scammer. The best defense is a good offense.

IANAL. Go see one if things get nasty.
Like any scammer, he likely knows the ins and outs of what he can *legally* get away with ... most likely because they have sepnt some time in a courtroom listening to lawyers tell them. You doing anything illegal to get back at him will just make you a criminal and lend them fodder for winning a battle of your word against theirs in a potential future court battle. The shipping to you happened ... they provided it so you have to pay for it becasue taht service was delivered. The cost of shipping it back falling on you is just the sort of thing the scammer is counting on providing enough inertia for you to just accept the shoddy merchindise.

Ship it back, pay for the shipping, expect a refund of the cost of the unit. If you don't, take them to smal claims court. Unfortunately, you will have to eat the two shipping costs ... take your pound of flesh by writing an honest review of their selling tactics to warn off potential future victims.

Another thing you can do is take down the serial number and MAC address just in case someone reports it as stolen on these forums as has happened in the past.

Last edited by mwiktowy; 2008-04-26 at 02:02.

man, sorry about that. of the last few purchased on ebay, only one was somewhat honest, and even that item came with a broken piece. too many swindlers out there now. i've had better luck with craig's list and used amazon sales.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by atrus123 View Post
man, sorry about that. of the last few purchased on ebay, only one was somewhat honest, and even that item came with a broken piece. too many swindlers out there now. i've had better luck with craig's list and used amazon sales.
Another place to look (specifically for a tablet) are on these forums in the Buy Sell section. There seems to be a lot of people selling their old models after upgrading (tablet-lovers who took care of their old one) or selling new models after realizing that the tablet wasn't want they were looking for (people who didn't have enough time to wear out their old tablet). They go fast though.