Posts: 37 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Richmond, BC, Canada
hi. im 12 years old and im living in richmond, bc, canada (where there's not a lot of wifi). im wondering if i should get a Star Ocean: Eternal Legends limited edition PSP Slim & Lite now or save up $363.33 to get a n810... any tips?

EDIT: my mom already has an iphone, which im allowed to use and everything

thanks

well, honestly, i think that you whould go with the n810 because for the iphone that your mother has, i think that it has not as much functionality yet, unless it is jail broken.
but for the psp, if you want to play games more, definitively that, for sure
but the n810 can be useful at school if you have wifi there, from experience i know this. but if not, then get the psp for sure

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
What are you looking for in a mobile gadget? Web, IM, chat, games? What you get all depends on your interests. Don't let someone make a decision based on their interests...you might regret it.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
My little brother is 12, he has an n800 and he loves it, he likes that it can make video calls and likes to watch movies on it. The speakers on the n810/n800 are much louder then the psp making it a good media player. I guess it all depends on how much of a gamer you are, or if your into internet browsing and viewing and listening to media.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There are a few cool games for the tablets and more in development, but its real attraction in that area may be the fact that you can download flash games to it and take them with you. For instance, I have Dicewars on mine. My 13 year old and 15 year old have N800s and we plan to start loading them up with Flash games too.

Well, remember that if you like lots of 3d eye candy, go w/ the psp because it plays modern commercial games. The PSP is really only good for media playback, gaming, and VERY simple webbrowsing.

This will probably hurt my reputation, but for relating sakes I am 15 and I can never see myself with a PSP because it costs too much for it and media/games, it is proprietary, it's input method is very gaming centeric, and I got an eee pc for mobile quake 3 based gaming... lol

The n810 I believe is not good for someone of our ages because of price. I am broke and I barely have 90 dollars saved up. Unless you need a GPS, hardware keyboard, and most importantly a transreflective screen to view the screen easily in the sunlight get a n800. The biggest deciding factor for me will be price, and storage prices and sizes. Don't spend too much money on the current IT's there is bound to be ones with better hardware i.e. hardware 3d acceleration, a more useful DSP that can put out higher res than half res doubled, more onboard storage or the double sd again. Either way Nokia is behind on the hardware, just look at the LimePC due out later this year and the MIDs. I understand neither is a direct competitor but still, Nokia needs to polish up the electronic hardware somemore.

I think i'll prolly get a n800 as i stated earlier

sorry about my rants... I have a tendency to do that.

BTW see if you can try one out for a feel b4 u buy, because it might help you decide... i wish there was a store near by that has them on demo.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Chicago, IL
if you like games, definitely PSP (Tekken, Wipeout, God of War, etc), and you can also use hacks (http://www.psp-hacks.com/)

N800/N810 games are not anywhere close to PSP...

I mean the two are different systems, like apples and oranges, you need to pick which one suits you best.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, it's a shame there's been no true commercial game development for the tablets. A real missed opportunity IMO...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, it's a shame there's been no true commercial game development for the tablets. A real missed opportunity IMO...
So, uh, Texrat, how's the OpenGL on that new tablet you were talking about?

OMAP3: Pandora -> N900 = win win win!

I'm in Vancouver so I'm pretty close to you.

1. Why do you want an N810? Unless you want that GPS ability, I think you'll be extremely happy with an N800 (at $230 at TigerDirect instead of $420 for the N810). *And* you can buy cheap memory cards and swap them into the N800 (which you can't do with the N810). If you don't like tapping on the screen, then a $40 bluetooth portable keyboard works well (bumping up the final price to $270). I got the portable keyboard and, frankly, I find that tapping out web addresses and some passwords or short notes isn't a big a problem as I thought it would be and my keyboard is usually closed and sitting in its pouch.

2. I'm with Telus for my intenet and have a separate wireless router (which was *much* better than the Seimans gateway Telus first sent me. My present set-up, a Thompson SmartTouch modem and Linksys WRT54GL router, is waaay better).

I can access my N800 from down the hallway of my apartment building. So if you have wireless at home, you should be fine if your wireless gateway or router is decent.

I had to spend a few days attending a training session at the hotel across the street from the Richmond Hospital two weeks ago and I got free WiFi access from somewhere in the area (that wasn't part of the hotel's set up even though I was in the hotel when I was on it). I've also been dragged to a few Richmond malls and I was impressed by how many of them have free WiFi, too.

Finally, as long as you find a Blenz coffeeshop, you have free Wifi (although sometimes you do have to ask for the key code to enter onto your N800). I think Starbucks is going to go free WiFi soon, too. The Vancouver Public Library has free internet access so I wouldn't be surprised if the Richmond Public Library also has it.

Since I'm so incredibly old, I have no idea if public schools have free WiFi since the last time I went to school was last century.

So, even in Richmond, there's probably a lot of common places you can get WiFi.

Can you get it everywhere? Nope - unless your parents are willing to pay quite a lot of money per month for a cellphone plan just for your portable internet connection. Then again, I can honestly say I've seen very few people actually have cellphone internet capabilities in Vancouver. I've seen business people with Blackberries... but that's not the same thing as a PSP or N800/N810 (and those people are most probably getting the bills paid by their company).

The Following User Says Thank You to Betty Woo For This Useful Post: