Poll: Until date has nokia put enough effort and importance in this platform?
Poll Options
Until date has nokia put enough effort and importance in this platform?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Hey guys of recent i have heard more and more complaints in comparison to positive remarks regarding the internet tablets- hardware, software, support, accessories, advertising. I understand that more and people will highlight the negative aspects much much more than the postitive ones..... but still the number of bugs, unresolved issues and problems have been too many to just push them aside.
So i am asking this question.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post

As far as I feel, the Internet Tablets are an experimental project for Nokia

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I think they haven't put enough importance in them, but I also don't think they really know what they want to do with them which is probably why. They seem to lack a bit of direction.
I also don't think they have done enough with the software themselves. It is fine to leave stuff to open source, but there are some projects they really need to do themselves, and I don't feel they have done enough of those.
Certainly there seem to be a lot of people that need better PIM facilities (I don't but it seems a big sticking point for people).
However, when it comes to critisism, people tend to complain when they are unhappy, and forget about it if they are happy, so it will always seem negative.

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
I love my tablet. I wouldn't trade it for any PDA or phone or subnotebook on the market, but Nokia could do so much better with just a little investment. It's sad.

Software: PIM and data sync with cellphones. How hard can thiks be when you're a smart phone vendor AND open source programs are available?

Marketing: Nokia cell phones are sold on every corner, but where are the tablets? Especially,where are the bundles: Nokia phone + tablet, tablet + Wifi/3G data plan? 2007 saw two major hypes in portable internet: iPhone and eeePC. Where was Nokia showing off their tablets as an alternative?

When that startup company from cupertino turned the mobile phone industry upside down, Nokia, the market leader, did what? The closed down their fab in Bochum, which was involved in NIT development. That's poor. The N770 was to years ahead of the iPhone. Even if we assume that Apple products are by their nature always cooler then Nokia's, they could still have made a fortune by selling N800 to those ppl who decided not to buy the iPhone.

Nokia,you can do better.

The Following User Says Thank You to janozaurus For This Useful Post:
uh, i really agree with the first two
@ jano, well it's an experiment to see how they can expand off of just a phone, which is all they do right now.
so i like to look at it as an experiment for them
they like to innovate, A LOT. thats what they do, thats where GSM came from, but that doesnt mean you take every project seriously
now nokia feels a little stagnant to me, but the tablets are an experiment, that while they haven't put the entire strength of the company behind it, they have basically allowed the guys working on it whatever they need, as long as it makes sense, or thats what i think, i have no proof or anything like that behind it
and they have a plan, maybe slow but a plan for sure
and about bochum, i think that there's something about the factory only and not the research facility

I totally agree with the experiment thing, because when you log on to the Nokia website there are tons of apps made for their phones, but only the OS update for the N800. "What's up with that?" I think they should at least provide more support for the open source community and/or make their existing software's compatable with the tablets.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Hey guys of recent i have heard more and more complaints in comparison to positive remarks regarding the internet tablets- hardware, software, support, accessories, advertising. I understand that more and people will highlight the negative aspects much much more than the postitive ones..... but still the number of bugs, unresolved issues and problems have been too many to just push them aside.
So i am asking this question.

Pretty accurate from what I have seen. The number of complaints and problems you see here is both staggering and discouraging.

The web site is such a disaster I don't even go there anymore and it is slow as well.

BUT, I keep hoping :-). I went with this because of my satisfaction with the nokia phones I had. Because of this mess with the ITs, I got a Motorola as a replacement :-(.

Still, it isn't useless and can be handy under the right conditions.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Nokia should get their PR *** moving to cover the NITs.. it's kinda sad to see some of the more hardcore fanboys take up arms to make up excuses for Nokia's apparent shortcoming.

PS: I own an N800 and I'm a big Linux proponent in my workplace as I've converted much of our servers to *nix based systems. But I also don't push people to stop working just to have *nix devices in places that they're not yet ready for showtime. I feel the same way with the NITs... being that it's a great platform with lots of potential that's not 'there' yet... and that's all fine and dandy... except for
(i). the fanboys who keep claiming that these devices are ready for primetime and
(ii). Nokia, who doesn't seem to invest much in NITs.

Do you have any idea how big their organization is and how much capital they have invested on their symbian based platforms compared to the NIT???

Last edited by ysss; 2008-03-30 at 07:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I think for Nokia the tablets are a way to spread risk just in case Wimax+MID device takes a chunk out of the traditional mobile phone market. My guess is that until that happens there is not much incentive for Nokia to pour massive funds into it.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I think for Nokia the tablets are a way to spread risk just in case Wimax+MID device takes a chunk out of the traditional mobile phone market. My guess is that until that happens there is not much incentive for Nokia to pour massive funds into it.
Yep, it always comes down to the bottom line and the tablets have yet to prove themselves as a worthwhile investment in the larger scheme of things.

I really wish Nokia would throw some more money at NITs but I understand that when it comes to business, it's all about the bottom line.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjuste For This Useful Post: