Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is it still due in April?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
One more question Stskeeps, hope not to exhaust your patience.

Is graphics acceleration working tear free, i.e. with Vsync support? That would be a huge improvement over Maemo 5.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Yeah, as long as we have all the hardware working at low level, it just means we can just make a UI or an App for it.
So all those "works" next to the hw features I asked about just makes me very happy right now. Hope it's out soon.
Keep in mind this is a open project. You'll see every little dirty detail of shaping things up towards a stable release and effort and fixes poured into it over time. So it will be kinda like seeing a sausage get made - it looks really bad when it's getting made, but when it's done and you're eating it, it's delicious.

As I understand it, we'll probably start out with a stripped-down MeeGo 1.2 Handset UX image for N900 that matches use cases, hardfp (increases performance) and go from there. That's a pretty solid setup as we have 3d drivers with vsync, phonecalls and SMS already working (but buggy and unpolished).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
One more question Stskeeps, hope not to exhaust your patience.

Is graphics acceleration working tear free, i.e. with Vsync support? That would be a huge improvement over Maemo 5.
Yes. Already in existing 1.1.90 images.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Is it still due in April?
OK, so, two things to remember:

* MeeGo 1.2 platform will deliver in April along with a pretty good N900 hardware adaptation already. I think nothing has really changed there.
* MeeGo "DE" for will base upon this, already starting with a base of the weekly snapshots to do their work and improvements. This is fairly similar to how vendors would take MeeGo the platform and 'productize' it. That "DE" will be openly developed and probably have weekly releases with a 'stable' release when milestones are met.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thanks once again Stskeeps - really good of you to come explain things here, give us a better insight into what is happening, what to actually expect - rather than having us guess and speculate.Top man.

@Stskeeps

Does this mean that we will have a propoer working uboot and have the ability to swing from Maemo to Meego or will we have to use only Meego?

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
@Stskeeps
Does this mean that we will have a propoer working uboot and have the ability to swing from Maemo to Meego or will we have to use only Meego?
Current MeeGo images has ability to be booted by u-boot. I don't know if we'll use the NAND (256mb) for any performance reasons yet, so no promises.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
what about this news Stskeeps it's right or wrong ?

http://myn900.wordpress.com/2011/03/...eted-by-nokia/

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
1) We're taking approach of initially few but very well working + performing features (isn't this what the fruit company does?).
Please don't copy the fruit company's feature strategies or politics. At the other extreme end of their feature count, that's where Maemo/MeeGo belongs.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada